DAC-9

tudorbuda

Re: DAC-9
« Reply #300 on: 2 Feb 2019, 03:29 pm »
wouldn't that void the warranty?
i could try that, even tho it doesnt seem to be some resonance sound, like it isn't bolted on and it vibrates. It's exactly that large transformer hum. Does it mean that it's a faulty one? As i said, in my identical subwoofers, one of them hums and pops, the other one doesnt. There was a fix on their website, they replaced some of the components, but you had to send it in and pay about $400.
also, the transformers in my other amp (Rotel Rb 1090) are huge, 1.2kwa each and there is 0 hum, so there must me something wrong.

tudorbuda

« Reply #301 on: 12 Feb 2019, 01:32 pm »
it's starting to get on my nerves. I don't know if it sounds louder and louder, or is it just in my head, but i'd like it to be fixed. Please tell me if opening it would void the warranty, so i can try that before contacting Nuprime in France.
Thank you!

rustydoglim

« Reply #302 on: 13 Feb 2019, 08:27 pm »
I told you to open it, so how can that void the warranty? :) We are not that kind of company who nickle and dime customers. Never in our history.

seikosha

« Reply #303 on: 13 Feb 2019, 08:47 pm »
Many times when a toroidal transformer is humming it means that there is DC Offset in your power line.  Do you have the ability to try plugging it in to other plugs on another circuit or even try it at a friend's house to see if it still hums?

simon740

« Reply #304 on: 15 Feb 2019, 08:38 am »
Hello,

has anyone noticed that some "strange sounds" arise through usb input, if DAC 9 is connected to a PC?
If I have DAC 9 connected to the linux diy player, these noises are much less, but if I connect to the HTPC, there are many more noise, buzz.
How is the usb input on DAC 9 designed?

regards,
Simon

srb

« Reply #305 on: 15 Feb 2019, 09:51 am »
has anyone noticed that some "strange sounds" arise through usb input, if DAC 9 is connected to a PC?

Some PCs do have noisier USB circuitry than others, but are you bypassing the Windows internal audio mixer with an ASIO or WASAPI driver?

simon740

« Reply #306 on: 15 Feb 2019, 10:17 am »
Yes I use foobar with asio and wasapi drivers.
But some people say that this is the usb implementation problem in the DAC itself.

rustydoglim

« Reply #307 on: 18 Feb 2019, 02:52 pm »
The noise could be from the PC ground. Try different USB port. Otherwise you can try those USB isolator. But keep in mind that you can get a good mini PC for less than $500, so might be better to get rid of old PC.

JulienS

« Reply #308 on: 26 Feb 2019, 09:59 am »
Hey guys!
I just got a DAC-9 few days ago.
Superb DAC! So smooth and analog sounding.

Anyway, just for the sake of curiosity, can anyone please tell me how is the DSD processed inside DAC-9?
Natively or converted to PCM before output?

Thanx!

JulienS

« Reply #309 on: 27 Feb 2019, 09:11 am »
Hello,

If I have DAC 9 connected to the linux diy player, these noises are much less, but if I connect to the HTPC, there are many more noise, buzz.
How is the usb input on DAC 9 designed?

Well, I have just noticed that I have the same problem, lots of noise through USB into DAC. You can hear it when nothing is played and you increase the amplifier's volume.
However, this only happens when the notebook is connected to the mains, when it is on battery it is totally silent.
Maybe an externally powered USB hub would help? Anyone tried this?

rustydoglim

« Reply #310 on: 27 Feb 2019, 09:37 am »
Get a Mac Mini

fredgarvin

« Reply #311 on: 27 Feb 2019, 04:19 pm »
Well, I have just noticed that I have the same problem, lots of noise through USB into DAC. You can hear it when nothing is played and you increase the amplifier's volume.
However, this only happens when the notebook is connected to the mains, when it is on battery it is totally silent.
Maybe an externally powered USB hub would help? Anyone tried this?

Noise through USB is a common problem, you might try a Schiit Eitr to clean it up and convert it ti coaxial-

https://www.schiit.com/products/eitr

JulienS

« Reply #312 on: 27 Feb 2019, 04:32 pm »
Well, the problem was solved, it was easier than I thought.
It seems that I had some kind of a ground loop. :duh: The notebook and DAC9 were sharing the same power strip. I just moved the DAC-9 into another wall socket and the noise just disappeared completely.

zapper7

• Its time to have fun, its fun to have time
« Reply #313 on: 6 Aug 2019, 05:05 pm »
To help revive this thread, just got a Dac-9 in and sounds great.

I am curious as the Dacs I've had in the past (NAD, Wadia, Oppo 105) I can turn the volume up to 60 - 80 or so while this one hits about 40 and real loud already. Is this a normal thing or how have you all faired with the volume? I use the XLR outputs direct to amp.

Thanks

seikosha

« Reply #314 on: 6 Aug 2019, 07:57 pm »
To help revive this thread, just got a Dac-9 in and sounds great.

I am curious as the Dacs I've had in the past (NAD, Wadia, Oppo 105) I can turn the volume up to 60 - 80 or so while this one hits about 40 and real loud already. Is this a normal thing or how have you all faired with the volume? I use the XLR outputs direct to amp.

Thanks

Volume controls are not universal.  You could put two different volume controls in the same system with drastically different results.  With one, you might not want to turn it past 10 oclock, with another, you might be turning way past halfway.  In addition to that, the output voltage of the DAC's can differ as well causing different levels on the volume controls vs. other units.  It can get complicated.

rustydoglim

« Reply #315 on: 8 Aug 2019, 01:51 pm »
I notice that you use XLR which has twice the output voltage of RCA so if you have spare RCA cables give it a try.

zapper7

• Its time to have fun, its fun to have time
« Reply #316 on: 8 Aug 2019, 03:06 pm »
I have used XLR for all the other DACs, all with your STA-9 amps, and have had very similar volume settings. As long as I'm not doing anything wrong and this unit just has higher gain I'm fine, but can't really get above 50 without being super loud.

rustydoglim

« Reply #317 on: 8 Aug 2019, 03:16 pm »
Nothing wrong with using XLR. Just don't turn the volume up too much.

simon740

« Reply #318 on: 16 Aug 2019, 02:48 pm »
Hello,

I have my dac 9 conected to active speakers with xlr cables.
Im thinking to add some woofer to my system. If I use RCA output on dac 9 for woofer, will be there any  distortion of sound on XLR output?
Sorry for my bad English..

regards
Simon

John Casler

« Reply #319 on: 16 Aug 2019, 02:53 pm »
That will work fine, with no issues.