Bourbon!!!!

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: Bourbon!!!!
« Reply #140 on: 15 Feb 2013, 05:08 am »
Ooh, that's interesting, I'm a big Rye whiskey fan as I make Manhattans the original, old fashioned way using Rye instead of the more popular and modern Canadian Whiskey recipe.  There's just no comparison, you'd never go back after using a good Rye.  Rye's are very different for sippin', spicy and up front, you have to go for that type of taste.  Very hard to find a Rye in most bars, the bartenders look at you like you're from Mars when you ask.  Of course they're mostly kids, even at the top shelf places I go.  Anyway, thanks muchly for the recommendation, I'll look for it.

For a strange bourbon recommendation, let me suggest Jim Beam Devil's Cut.  I thought it would be another bland JB consumer product (I do like their Rye) but was quite surprised.  Kind of like Jack Daniels on steroids, lots of wood and spice, but smooth and velvety, with a bit of complexity.  I was very surprised how this low cost product punched above it's weight.     

I'm a rye based Manhattan man myself.  If you get a chance, give the Bulliet Rye a shot - it's pretty phenomenal in a Manhattan. 

ratso

« Reply #141 on: 27 Feb 2013, 05:47 pm »
so very bizarre. i searched for this thread because i haven't seen it in a while to ask if anyone is on a rye thing like i have been lately. have lately tried knob creek (good), bulleit (better) and templeton (damn yummy). i drink my whisky neat, like a man should.  :lol:

MaxCast

« Reply #142 on: 7 Jul 2013, 09:07 pm »
As some may know my wife went to TN and brought back a nice bottle of Four Roses for me.
She read the good response that followed my what are you drinking now post.  :D

She bought some Angles Envy for her boss a DDS that likes bourbon aged in port wine barrels.
She wants to know how she did on this one??

She admits the liquor shop fella helped her out.  And wanted things found "locally"
Any body ever try it??

ton1313

« Reply #143 on: 8 Jul 2013, 12:26 am »
Angels envy is really good :drool: :drool:

Very tasty and smooth, enjoy :thumb:

santacore

« Reply #144 on: 8 Jul 2013, 12:34 am »
Angels Envy is nice stuff, I just picked up another bottle a few weeks ago. My only knock is that it's a bit thin and light on the tongue. I think if they bottled it at a slightly higher proof it would be even tastier. That said, I really do enjoy the flavors and love the port barrel finish.

buyersremorse

« Reply #145 on: 25 Jul 2013, 04:43 pm »

My friends and I liked it "this much" at a recent party.  Other bourbon choices were barely touched. 
As an occasional bourbon drinker, I really like it.

oledude

« Reply #146 on: 4 Aug 2013, 04:27 am »
At the risk of creating more demand for this and making it harder to find - Elmer T Lee.  Smooth!!
Do try it if you can.

sts9fan

« Reply #147 on: 4 Feb 2014, 04:14 pm »
I picked up a bottle of Parker's Heritage 7th Edition "Promise of hope" on Saturday.  This is great stuff.  I have a bottle of the 6th edition also which is really great.
http://sourmashmanifesto.com/2013/11/03/review-parkers-heritage-collection-2013-bourbon-promise-of-hope/

Carl V

« Reply #148 on: 4 Feb 2014, 06:54 pm »

a little tasting

HsvHeelFan

« Reply #149 on: 4 Feb 2014, 07:13 pm »
You need a bottle of Blanton's in that pic.

I found the Angels Envy to have no character whatsoever. Nice bottle.  I just found it to be bland.

HsvHeelFan

sts9fan

« Reply #150 on: 4 Feb 2014, 07:20 pm »
I have not had the tenacity necessary to get a bottle of Pappy this year.  I don't want to have to try too hard.  I drink Wellers 107 if I want to get close. 

Rubbbq

« Reply #151 on: 4 Feb 2014, 07:20 pm »
Pappy Van is the stuff :thumb:

roscoeiii

« Reply #152 on: 4 Feb 2014, 10:41 pm »
Pappy Van is the stuff :thumb:

yeah, scored a Pappy 15 this year and it was glorious. Coming from someone who is in general not as big a fan of the wheated whiskeys.

jupiterboy

« Reply #153 on: 4 Feb 2014, 10:47 pm »
I usually go for Evan, but the Beam Black Double is pretty good for the price. Weller Special Reserve is my favorite wheated.

mav52

« Reply #154 on: 4 Feb 2014, 11:43 pm »
Eagle Rare Single Barrel Bourbon 10 YO Whiskey

Pappy Van Winkle's 23-Year-Old

Give them a try

Rubbbq

« Reply #155 on: 4 Feb 2014, 11:48 pm »
Eagle rare is Pappy's little brother, then Buffalo Trace ...

Ericus Rex

« Reply #156 on: 5 Feb 2014, 12:17 am »
I have not had the tenacity necessary to get a bottle of Pappy this year.  I don't want to have to try too hard.  I drink Wellers 107 if I want to get close.

Try the Rip van Winkle Family Reserve.  Cheaper than Pappy's (a little) and a lighter flavor too.  Used to be their 12 yr 107.  Got some good reviews and the price went up with a fancier bottle.  Still worth it IMO

sts9fan

« Reply #157 on: 5 Feb 2014, 01:04 am »
The RVW is still pretty hard to find. I have never seen it in a store.

santacore

« Reply #158 on: 5 Feb 2014, 02:50 am »
I just picked up this silver bourbon by High West.

For a young bourbon, it's very smooth and tastes great. Very different profile from you typical aged offering, but unique and great none the less.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #159 on: 5 Feb 2014, 11:50 am »
The RVW is still pretty hard to find. I have never seen it in a store.

My local Kappy's carries it; the big one at the 16/Fellsway traffic circle in Everett...at least they did last time I was in that one.  Haven't seen it at the smaller Kappy's.