Teac AL700P "All-Battery" Modification is here!

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« on: 12 Mar 2005, 03:49 am »
All,

I've been working very late nights pefecting this unit:

http://www.redwineaudio.com/Teac_AL700P_mods.html

I quickly found out that this units switch-mode power supply (even after I've modded the heck out of it) was killing the sound of this sweet Tripath-based amp.  :cuss:

You haven't heard what this 30wpc Tripath amp can really do until you've heard it battery modded...Red Wine Audio style!   :D

Ahhh, MUCH better now!  :dance:

Zero

« Reply #1 on: 12 Mar 2005, 04:46 am »
Too tempting.....

Bemopti123

« Reply #2 on: 12 Mar 2005, 06:14 am »
Vinnie, you are killing with all these scrumptious mods!

sica

« Reply #3 on: 12 Mar 2005, 08:48 am »
Hi Vinnie, does this sound as good as the Clari-T?   If not,  is it because the lower power tripath chip in the Clari-T just sounds better?  

I guess my question (I am sure a lot of your customers are wondering about the same thing)really is.... is a slightly higher power(30~50 wpc) version of the Clari-T possibe, without any sacrifice in sound quality?  :D

GHM

« Reply #4 on: 12 Mar 2005, 12:29 pm »
I would think the sound would be the same between the ClariT and the Teac. Just more power for less efficient speakers.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #5 on: 12 Mar 2005, 01:33 pm »
Hi Sica,

Quote from: sica

I guess my question (I am sure a lot of your customers are wondering about the same thing)really is.... is a slightly higher power(30~50 wpc) version of the Clari-T possibe, without any sacrifice in sound quality?  :D

First, let me state that I am a firm believer of LESS = MORE.  In the process of achieving more power, there is added complexity in the design.  The all-battery modified Teac, which outputs 30wpc (TK2050-based), is not the same minimalist design of the Clari-T-Amp, which is TA2024-based.  

Therefore, they do not sound the same and the Teac cannot be simpliy referred to as a more powerful version of the Clari-T-Amp.  However, if one requires more power than the "very big little watts" that the Clari-T-Amp can output, and still wants that luscious battery-powered Tripath sonic signature...the Red Wine Audio All-battery modified Teac AL700P is the way to go  :wink:

Depending on the type of speaker used and one's taste in sound, either unit has the ability to sound "better" than the other to someone.  One thing is certain...the Red Wine Audio Modified Teac AL700P is immensely superior to the stock Teac, just as the Clari-T-Amp is compared to the SI.  :mrgreen:

Thanks for your questions,

sica

« Reply #6 on: 12 Mar 2005, 04:54 pm »
Vinnie can you elaborate on the difference in sound quality between the Battery powered Teac and the Clari-T to help us make a decision between the two?  :D

dstroot

« Reply #7 on: 12 Mar 2005, 05:38 pm »
Vinne - I just bought a Teac to do exactly what you describe (well, not EXACTLY - I'm sure you would do it much better) but I was thinking of also moving it to a new enclosure - sort of a "bigger" Clari-T in watts and size.  Is this something you have considered?  The stock enclosure seems so cheap, and after modding it I think it would deserve better.  Any ideas - is this an "add-on" I could request if I have you do the work?

TheChairGuy

« Reply #8 on: 12 Mar 2005, 07:03 pm »
You are a wonderful maniac, Vinnie  :wink:

Could this unit possibly drive the small 4 ohm Maggie (MMG) adequately in a 12 x 15' room :?:  It sounds quite nice with the JVC F10, but there is something quite intoxicating about battery power.......

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #9 on: 12 Mar 2005, 07:31 pm »
Quote from: dstroot
Vinne - I just bought a Teac to do exactly what you describe (well, not EXACTLY - I'm sure you would do it much better) but I was thinking of also moving it to a new enclosure - sort of a "bigger" Clari-T in watts and size.  Is this something you have considered?  The stock enclosure seems so cheap, and after modding it I think it would deserve better.  Any ideas - is this an "add-on" I could request if I have you do the work?

Hi dstroot,

Yes, I can just gut the Teac amplifer board out and put it in a custom black anodized enclosure (a little larger than the Clari-T-Amp's).  Or, you choose the enclosure (as long as everything can fit)  :wink:  

If you want it with a built in stepped attenuator and input select, this can be done as well!  I'll see if I can get a prototype cookin' soon  :hyper:

Feel free to email me about details.  I can write up a proposal...

Thanks,

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #10 on: 12 Mar 2005, 07:35 pm »
Quote from: TheChairGuy
You are a wonderful maniac, Vinnie  :wink:

Could this unit possibly drive the small 4 ohm Maggie (MMG) adequately in a 12 x 15' room :?:  It sounds quite nice with the JVC F10, but there is something quite intoxicating about battery power.......

Hi ChairGuy,

If the stock Teac can drive your maggies, this one will drive them even better!  

When testing the run time of the batteries between charging, I connected the outputs 4-ohm resistors and cranked up the volume!  You'll get a good 8 to 10 hours of play between charges (even longer with 8-ohm speakers!).  

Pair this up with a battery dac, and you will be completely intoxicated with the music  :inlove:

Regards,

mcgsxr

« Reply #11 on: 12 Mar 2005, 08:52 pm »
Geez, I guess I will HAVE to hear this at some point, having had 3 different Teacs in my house over the last 8 months, and currently enjoying two modded ones...

Now, to figure out how to USE it in my system...

I will be in touch Vinnie,

TheChairGuy

« Reply #12 on: 12 Mar 2005, 09:05 pm »
Quote from: Vinnie R.
Hi ChairGuy,

If the stock Teac can drive your maggies, this one will drive them even better!  

When testing the run time of the batteries between charging, I connected the outputs 4-ohm resistors and cranked up the volume!  You'll get a good 8 to 10 hours of play between charges (even longer with 8-ohm speakers!).  

Pair this up with a battery dac, and you will be completely intoxicated with the music  :inlove:

Regards,

Not sure if the stock TEAC will drive the Maggies, but I'm thinking the 30w spec for the TEAC/Tripath 2050 is rather conservative and the 100w claimed by JVC is rather bloated.  Nonetheless, the mis-specced 100 watt receiver drives the Maggies beautifully....tho with A/C

I do indeed love the idea of a Tripath SLA powered amp driving Maggies tho.  I'm having a great deal of difficulty listening to box speakers...so the Clari-T won't cut for me.

Thanks - I think I'll be in touch.

:wink:

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #13 on: 12 Mar 2005, 09:23 pm »
Quote from: TheChairGuy
Not sure if the stock TEAC will drive the Maggies, but I'm thinking the 30w spec for the TEAC/Tripath 2050 is rather conservative and the 100w claimed by JVC is rather bloated.  Nonetheless, the mis-specced 100 watt receiver drives the Maggies beautifully....tho with A/C

I do indeed love the idea of a Tripath SLA powered amp driving Maggies tho.  I'm having a great deal of difficulty listening to box speakers...so the Clari-T won't cut for me.

Thanks - I think I'll be in touch.

:wink:

ChairGuy,

FWIW, I can attest to the fact that the Tripath watts are BIG WATTS!  I'm sure the Teac can drive the 4-ohm maggies without a problem...

Regards,

Dmason

« Reply #14 on: 12 Mar 2005, 10:18 pm »
Divan dude

The MMG presents a very stable 4 Ohm load. Its impedance modulus is not more or less, nor wildly fluctuating, but basically a 4 Ohm resistive load, from bottom to top, if I am not mistaken. Therefore, batTery T-watts -being Clydesdale sized as has become clear, the Battery 2050 Teac might have quite abit more grip than the JVC, and I suspect that if I am correct, my estimation may be conservative, because Tripath amps are well known also to be more or less load-invariant down to under 2 Ohms on the Jumbo chips. Having said that, what Maggies really want is current, and current is what batteries are all about. The 1.6 can be driven easily by a good 35 watt PP EL34 amp, as long as it has good current output, good iron. Now we don't need good iron because we have batteries. Now we don't need tubes because we have batteries on Tripath chips. Audionic Darwinism..... :mrgreen:

Tripath and Magnepan have a well known synergy as was written about on AA and Agon. _Richard_ can speak to that topic. Now we have batTery solutions for planar speakers.

ryno

« Reply #15 on: 13 Mar 2005, 12:08 am »
I just hauled my MG12's into my bedroom to check it out. In a small room, 10x12x9 with a CIaudio DAC and passive pre into a stock teac, I get 85db on a rat shack meter at the listening position. 90 db peak with the volume on both the CIA and teac maxed. Might even be more power there if an active pre was used. I can't get the speaker position optimized in this room, with the bed and furniture, so it's hard to tell how good things sound, but I'll post later when I've listened for a while. It's odd going from a 120 wpc bryston and sometimes clipping the lights on the amp to a 30 watter and having decent power.
Ryan

ryno

« Reply #16 on: 13 Mar 2005, 12:23 am »
I take back the comment about more power if you use an active pre. I forgot my eq was in line, which drops the power by about 6db, so I don't clip if I boost. When I pulled the eq I got distortion when I tried to max the volume. Turned it down a notch and read 85 db. Probably can't go any higher, maybe battery would help? Remember, this is in a very small room.
Ryan

ps Vinnie, would you do mods on the teac, everything but the battery? I fall asleep with my bedroom system on about 90% of the time, battery wont work. thanks, ryan

mcgsxr

« Reply #17 on: 13 Mar 2005, 01:23 am »
I won't speak for what mods Vinnie will do for a Teac, since I am confident he will sort you out, but I had him mod one of mine, and another member here, lcrim, is very pleased with his Teac, fully modded by Vinnie.

A great little amp, well under respected, in my experience.  Then again, it is not like I have tried them all either!

As for the Teac with a 4ohm load, well I drove my Totems for 6 months, and it never complained, so if it is a reasonably consistent load, I would go for it.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #18 on: 13 Mar 2005, 05:14 am »
Quote from: ryno

ps Vinnie, would you do mods on the teac, everything but the battery? I fall asleep with my bedroom system on about 90% of the time, battery wont work. thanks, ryan

Hi Ryan,

Yes, I can mod your Teac without the battery power option.  I can mod the stock power supply, mod the amplifer board, run direct wiring from new RCA jacks to the amplifer board via Auricaps, etc.  Feel free to email me if you are interested...

Thanks,

suits_me

« Reply #19 on: 13 Mar 2005, 06:38 am »
Does anyone know if the 700P owner's manual is available online? Thanks.