Favorite speaker under 1000.....

TONEPUB

Favorite speaker under 1000.....
« on: 16 Feb 2007, 04:14 am »
Same here with speakers.

One of my all time favorite small speakers is the ACI Sapphire XL's, but
they are about 1500-1700 depending on finish.

Curious to see what are the favorites between about 500 and a thousand
bucks.

I've always been pretty excited about the Vandersteen 1C, and the small
Magnepan SMG. But there is so much in this range now, we are looking
at a few things for review and was wondering if there is a sleeper out there...

We also had the AV123 xl-s, which were incredible for 229 and the folks at
Skiing Ninja are sending us their modded pair, which I believe run about 5-600.

As always your input is noted and appreciated.

And sometimes argued with   :)

thanks!

maxwalrath

Re: Favorite speaker under 1000.....
« Reply #1 on: 16 Feb 2007, 04:25 am »
Vandersteen 1-somethings and Hornshoppe Horns

BradJudy

« Reply #2 on: 16 Feb 2007, 04:42 am »
I've been an Ascend owner for a few years, so I'd have to put in a vote for their CMT-340se's at the lower end of your range ($570/pr). 

One I'd be curious about is the VMPS 626 Jr (if they are still selling it) - it squeaks in at $975. 

I'm keeping an eye on the next models in the X-series from AV123, particularly the X-MTM ex (similar to the GR Research OB-5). 

Of course, one of the print mags just raved about the NHT Classic Three, so it would be interesting to hear how it compares to some of the direct sales options.  ($800/pr IIRC)

I wish we'd see a bit more budget stuff at RMAF - I encouraged Al to pursue the $5k system idea this past year, but it looked like participation was very low. 

TONEPUB

« Reply #3 on: 16 Feb 2007, 04:48 am »
good suggestions....

I know Al and I had chatted about the 5k system too and now that we have our website
up, we will be pursuing a lot more gear in that price range.  The magazine, which comes out
six times a year, only gives us the opportunity to review about 60 pieces per year.  Now
that we have reviews on the web too (all different from what's in the magazine..)
we should be able to cover another 50-75 things per year on the site.

We will try our best to make most of that coverage gear in the 500-2500 dollar per box stuff.
We will have an occasional expensive review there, but for the most part we will have budget
to modestly priced stuff on TONE Audio Online.  We will also have some setup and DIY there
as well as some iPOD things and even tape decks!!

kbuzz3

« Reply #4 on: 16 Feb 2007, 04:56 am »
Just a suggestion but I like the "Tone" of tone so I hope you avoid reviewing the usual suspects-which could be great speakers= but id like to find out and get opinions on things that all the other mags have not written about.  So I would skip the axiom, paradignm, aperion reviews and check out some other manufactuers.

just my 2 cents

TONEPUB

« Reply #5 on: 16 Feb 2007, 05:06 am »
Well, we did the aperions last year.....

But that's why Im asking for opinions here.  I have already blasted a note
to the Horn Shoppe, but I would like to find some other stuff than the ones
you mentioned!

Thanks for the help, and we'll do our best!

Upstateaudio

« Reply #6 on: 16 Feb 2007, 05:15 am »
How about the Totem Rainmaker? aa

Zero

« Reply #7 on: 16 Feb 2007, 05:39 am »
edit: doh!

shep

« Reply #8 on: 16 Feb 2007, 09:31 am »
I' like to submit mine, which are wonderful litlle transmission lines form Holland. I guess this will fall thru the cracks because of shipping issues from abroad and the subsequent mark-up, but I assure you that the 500euros I paid is a joke for speakers of this quality. http://www.crafty.nl/

FredT300B

« Reply #9 on: 16 Feb 2007, 11:11 am »
Just a suggestion but I like the "Tone" of tone so I hope you avoid reviewing the usual suspects-which could be great speakers= but id like to find out and get opinions on things that all the other mags have not written about.  So I would skip the axiom, paradignm, aperion reviews and check out some other manufactuers.
just my 2 cents

I agree with kbuzz3, but I would state it differently. An Ezine like ToneAudio capable of filling a niche that the mainstream paper magazines overlook. Some great under-$1K speakers are sold direct on the internet. Their small manufacturers are under the radar of the manistream magazines and their products are not reviewed by TAS and Stereophile.

Just a few examples: Selah Audio SA-2, GR Research AV-2, RAW Acoustics HT-2, Tyler Acoustics Freedom F-2. Some of these are also available as DIY kits, but the completely finished and ready-to-play versions all sell for just under $1K. These speakers have high quality drivers and crossover parts one would find in far more expensive mainstream speakers.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #10 on: 16 Feb 2007, 11:38 am »
Two/three suggestions:

Bob Brines' FT-1600 Mk II (a single driver transmission line design floorstander, 40 - 20,000, 8 ohms, 92 dB/w/m, your choice of veneers - as Bob builds them one pair at a time).

Various 2.1 setups (monitors with powered sub).  Transitions into HT down the road.  Another vote for Ascend Acoustics.  Package the very fine CBM-170's with something like a Hsu VTF-3 and stands and stay under a grand.  Or maybe TBI Majestic Diamond (single driver transmission line design in a tiny cabinet) with a little more left over for the sub.

PhilNYC

« Reply #11 on: 16 Feb 2007, 12:46 pm »
I've always liked the Green Mountain Audio Europas...

mtodde

« Reply #12 on: 16 Feb 2007, 12:58 pm »
Paradigm Reference Studio 20

kbuzz3

right on fred
« Reply #13 on: 16 Feb 2007, 02:59 pm »
just my 2 cents

I agree with kbuzz3, but I would state it differently. An Ezine like ToneAudio capable of filling a niche that the mainstream paper magazines overlook. Some great under-$1K speakers are sold direct on the internet. Their small manufacturers are under the radar of the manistream magazines and their products are not reviewed by TAS and Stereophile.

Just a few examples: Selah Audio SA-2, GR Research AV-2, RAW Acoustics HT-2, Tyler Acoustics Freedom F-2. Some of these are also available as DIY kits, but the completely finished and ready-to-play versions all sell for just under $1K. These speakers have high quality drivers and crossover parts one would find in far more expensive mainstream speakers.

What he said- and he said it better then i did. But then again he probably did not have 5 year old twins crawling on him screaming to but high school musical on the main system whilst he wrote it. LOL

TONEPUB

« Reply #14 on: 16 Feb 2007, 04:26 pm »

[/quote]

[/quote]

I agree with you wholeheartedly.  I know when I was at TAS, it was all about advertising and we rarely reviewed a product that wasn't an advertiser.  It happened once in a blue moon but not often.

Their "logic" was that a product should have enough of a dealer base and have been around long enough to be a stable product for those who buy it.  I had wanted to review the ModWright preamp three years ago and was informed that they were not enough of a name to bother with.

I reminded Wayne Garcia that about 25 years ago I bought an amplifier from this little known company named Krell that no one had ever heard of and had I not, (along with all the other people like me that took a leap of faith) they would not be around today.

So, yes, I am definitely interested in these speakers and will contact the mfrs to line up reviews.  (If any of you guys are out here and read this, feel free to contact me too!)  Even if some of these companies don't make it, they are guaranteed NOT to make it if they don't get any buzz.

We'll do our best to help.....

And for what it's worth, ModWright is finally getting reviewed in the Absolute Sound, so I am very happy about that.  Dan is a great guy and he makes great stuff!!

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
« Reply #15 on: 16 Feb 2007, 05:10 pm »
what about the $1500 onix ref. 1 speaker that because of all their package deals you can get for well under $1000?
also a couple of usher speakers... s-520 $400 and v-601 $700.

fredgarvin

« Reply #16 on: 16 Feb 2007, 05:24 pm »
Of the ones mentioned my favorites would be the VMPS 626jr. and the Green Mountain Europa. Don't know if they currently go for $1000...I wonder about the Eminent Technology 16 at $950. Haven't heard one though.

zamo

« Reply #17 on: 16 Feb 2007, 05:35 pm »
In the spirit of this tread, I'd like to nominate the Hawthorne Audio Solo - $750. It is a open baffle speaker based on a 15" mid/woofer with a coaxially mounted compression driver tweeter. They produce a big sound, can play very loud, are close to 96dB efficient, and make satisfying bass. Worthy of a review  :thumb:

Zak

ZLS

« Reply #18 on: 16 Feb 2007, 07:11 pm »
I would recommend the Omega HempTone XRS speakers.  These are speakers that previously used the 4 1/2 " Fostex driver, but will now be manufactured using the Omega HempTone 4 1/2 " driver.  The difference will be a magnitude better.

ajzepp

« Reply #19 on: 16 Feb 2007, 07:15 pm »
Under a grand? That's easy....the Magnepan MMG! :D