DHT Upgrade is complete!

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
DHT Upgrade is complete!
« on: 21 Jun 2016, 08:08 pm »
Yesterday Vinnie stopped by with the DHT module and upgraded me from the AVC/Tubestage combo.

While I am lucky to have Vinnie so close by, I want to stress to everybody that the upgrade procedure is pretty simple and straightforward.  When following the great manual/upgrade guide, it should not be difficult to complete in the field.

Below are a few pics I took during the install.

But enough of the upgrade process...how does it sound??

It sounds FANTASTIC!!   :bowdown: :bowdown:

While the AVC/Tubestage combo is very good, the DHT module really is quite a few steps up the performance ladder.

I stated the following back in May when I first heard the DHT module:

Want to add weight, texture, depth, layering, and more without sacrificing speed, slam, and clarity?

Get a LIO DHT!!

All kidding aside, the DHT takes what the AVC/Tubestage offers and makes it better.

Don't think traditional SET sound...that isn't what the DHT offers.  It is not overly sweet or liquid sounding and is definitely not a traditional tubey sound that is rolled off at the extremes.

I still feel that way and if anything, I can hear more of what the LIO DHT module is capable of with the Spatial M3 Turbo S speakers in the system.

I'll post more detailed thoughts on the sound in a different thread that will go into the tube rolling we did.

Again, this is a great upgrade and highly recommended.

George

PICTURES

LIO w/ AVC/Tubestage and Plexiglass top

LIO w/ DHT module

LIO w/ DHT module and new volume control

Vinnie adding the amp module

LIO w/ DHT module and stock tubes in all black

LIO w/ DHT module and power supply on my Sistrum SP-4 rack

mca

Re: DHT Upgrade is complete!
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jun 2016, 09:22 pm »
Just ordered mine today, looking forward to hearing it  :thumb:

matthewpartrick

• vinnierossiforum.com
    • The Clueless Audiophile
« Reply #2 on: 21 Jun 2016, 09:37 pm »
Sweet! Thanks for the photos.

jriggy

« Reply #3 on: 21 Jun 2016, 10:47 pm »
How much extra does it cost to have Vinnie come work on the floor like that? Is that yoga LIO building in 'childs pose'?  :P

Vinnie R.

« Reply #4 on: 22 Jun 2016, 03:28 pm »
Hi George,

Thanks for posting those pics and posting your initial impressions of LIO DHT PRE!  8)

How much extra does it cost to have Vinnie come work on the floor like that? Is that yoga LIO building in 'childs pose'?  :P

Depends on how far I have to travel!  :green:

Some serious yoga going on in that pic!

Vinnie

mca

« Reply #5 on: 22 Jun 2016, 04:43 pm »
This is the first I have seen or heard about the power supply. Can you explain a bit more about it, how it connects etc?

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 22 Jun 2016, 05:18 pm »
This is the first I have seen or heard about the power supply. Can you explain a bit more about it, how it connects etc?

The DHT module retquires a separate PS to heat the tube filaments.

The rest of the LIO is still powered by the two capacitor banks (same as all of the other LIO configs).

George

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: 22 Jun 2016, 05:21 pm »
The DHT module retquires a separate PS to heat the tube filaments.

The rest of the LIO is still powered by the two capacitor banks (same as all of the other LIO configs).

George
Should also mention that this external LPS also provides the power to charge the Ultracapacitors in the LIO. 

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 22 Jun 2016, 05:30 pm »
Should also mention that this external LPS also provides the power to charge the Ultracapacitors in the LIO.

Correct.

George

mca

« Reply #9 on: 22 Jun 2016, 05:55 pm »
So it's still just one power cord? Nice!

Vinnie R.

« Reply #10 on: 22 Jun 2016, 05:58 pm »

I've posted about it in the another DHT PRE thread, but here is a quick run down:

- External linear power supply has two outputs (two cables): one for the LIO 24V PWR IN (replaces stock power adapter), and
one for the DHT PRE filament (gets connected to a new, included "LIO DHT OUTPUTS" module that has the mating jack for it).  From
the LIO DHT PRE Owner's Manual that you will be emailed when we ship you order:

SECTION 5 – YOUR LIO DHT Power Supply

5-1) Only use a GROUNDED 3-conductor power cord with your LIO DHT Power Supply, and this power cord MUST be plugged into a properly GROUNDED electrical outlet.  Improper/faulty grounding will result in noise/hum issues.

5-2) Leave your LIO DHT Power Supply ON, and turn ON/OFF your LIO via the PWR button on your LIO front panel or LIO Remote Handset.  Only turn OFF your LIO DHT Power Supply when you need to open your LIO.

5-3) When connecting the LIO DHT Power Supply to your LIO that is not charged, you will first need to turn the power supply ON and then plug in the two cables to the LIO.  Otherwise, the LIO DHT Power Supply’s in-rush protection might active and shut off power to the output cable.

5-4) It is normal for the LIO DHT Power Supply to feel quite warm / hot to the touch after using it for some time.   Make sure it is located where there is some ventilation, and away from sources of heat (sunlight, radiators, etc.). 

5-5) YOUR LIO DHT Power Supply is factory-configured for either a 110-120V or 220V-240V power outlet.  If you move to a country with a different AC voltage, you must either use a “Vinnie Rossi approved” voltage converter (rated for at least 250W), or order a new LIO DHT Power Supply with the correct voltage rating. 

Failure to do so will damage your LIO DHT Power Supply, LIO, and LIO DHT PRE!

Approx. size: 6.5″ wide x 9.0″ deep x 3.75″ tall
Approx. weight: 10lbs.

So it's still just one power cord? Nice!

Correct!

Vinnie

sbj23

« Reply #11 on: 22 Jun 2016, 06:32 pm »
Vinnie -

So far, I've kept the LIO in a cabinet with no worries about heat issues.

After upgrading to the DHT, I am assuming I can still have the LIO+DHT in the cabinet (since the tubes don't run that hot).  Is that right?

Would you recommend the power supply be placed outside the cabinet due to the heat it generates?

Thanks!

Vinnie R.

« Reply #12 on: 22 Jun 2016, 06:37 pm »
Vinnie -

So far, I've kept the LIO in a cabinet with no worries about heat issues.

After upgrading to the DHT, I am assuming I can still have the LIO+DHT in the cabinet (since the tubes don't run that hot).  Is that right?

Would you recommend the power supply be placed outside the cabinet due to the heat it generates?

Thanks!

Hi sbj23,

You'll need to make sure that you have enough height so the tubes will fit (give yourself approx. 7 inches above the LIO top cover for this).  The 2A3 and SV811 tubes get quite warm, but not nearly "HOT" as when used in an SET power amp.  The 45's, 300B, SR71A, and others don't get as warm, and the CX301A doesn't seem to get warm at all with its very low filament current.

If you can locate the LIO DHT Power Supply outside the cabinet so it gets more ventilation, then that would be ideal.

Vinnie

Theobetley

« Reply #13 on: 24 Jun 2016, 06:51 pm »
I love my DHT. Been listening a week or so and keeps getting better.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #14 on: 24 Jun 2016, 06:55 pm »
I love my DHT. Been listening a week or so and keeps getting better.
What tubes are you using?  In fact, what's the rest of the system?

Theobetley

« Reply #15 on: 24 Jun 2016, 07:04 pm »
Using stock 2A3's. Running Windows10, HQP NAA, uRendu. From Vinnie DHT direct -> QSC 1804 into my Martin Logan Monolith 3 Stat panels. Prior to 1804 I run into a y connector into an  Electronic crossover into bass amps (one for mid bass, one for subwoofer). Prior dac was a Benchmark HG 2Dac 2 and Rendu combo. While this is a good setup it is no match for the Vinnie.

matthewpartrick

• vinnierossiforum.com
    • The Clueless Audiophile
« Reply #16 on: 26 Jun 2016, 02:55 am »
I wonder if we can come to a consensus on the tube covers.  I would prefer to have them at my disposal in case my toddlers declare war on my equipment.  Can we expect them to be a part of the initial cash outlay and if not, how much will they be?

I'm excited no matter what!

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #17 on: 26 Jun 2016, 11:43 am »
I wonder if we can come to a consensus on the tube covers.  I would prefer to have them at my disposal in case my toddlers declare war on my equipment.  Can we expect them to be a part of the initial cash outlay and if not, how much will they be?

I'm excited no matter what!

Vinnie is working with his vendors on the tube covers to get them looking as good as the rest of the LIO.

I think that they are part of the DHT package and will be provided when available to the early owners.

George

Vinnie R.

« Reply #18 on: 27 Jun 2016, 03:15 pm »
Yes, the tube covers come with the DHT PRE.  For those who I already shipped DHT PRE to, I will ship your tube covers
when I receive them (I am told in the next week or two I will have them).  I didn't want to hold up your orders.

We're cranking away on the DHT orders...

And I'm told that the website updates will go live hopefully by the end of next week.  Really nice new picks and layout.

Thanks for your posts!

Vinnie

SteveKi

« Reply #19 on: 30 Oct 2016, 03:52 pm »
I can hear more of what the LIO DHT module is capable of with the Spatial M3 Turbo S speakers in the system.
George

George,
I'm breaking in a pair of Spatial M3 Turbo S speakers right now. The LIO/DHT is awesome with the Spatial's. Next up in December... 300Bs.

Highly recommended.
Steve