SoundScape Frequency Response Plot

fsimms

SoundScape Frequency Response Plot
« on: 7 Jun 2010, 02:53 am »
Jim posted a frequency plot of the SoundScape.   This is the plot from that website.

The following speakers all look like they have the same midrange and reviews have posted frequency response plots that are much less flat:

Lumen White Whiteflame

Marten Coletrane

Kharma Ceramique 2.2

Avalon Indra

Frequency plots are very poor at choosing a speaker, but I think the extra flatness of the SoundScapes is a strong testament to quality of the crossover design.  Well done Dennis!   All the speakers above, that are in current production, start at $20K and rapidly go up.   Also, none of them come close to the bass extension of the SoundScapes.

Bob

PS I spend too much time looking at competing designs while waiting for my SoundScapses!  :lol:

asull2k

Re: SoundScape Frequency Response Plot
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jun 2010, 03:14 am »
Cannot compare measurements that were not done under identical conditions (not that on-axis freq response plots are even all that important anyway).  They probably do sound great, but these measurements should not be compared with the others you've read

fsimms

« Reply #2 on: 7 Jun 2010, 12:14 pm »
Cannot compare measurements that were not done under identical conditions (not that on-axis freq response plots are even all that important anyway).  They probably do sound great, but these measurements should not be compared with the others you've read

I agree with you.  That is kind of what I was trying to say.   That is why I didn’t post the plots of the other speakers.  I just posted the others to show how difficult was the task that Dennis had.  I am sure that these other speakers sound wonderful.    I do think that the flatness of the SS’s shows the quality of Dennis’s work.  I think he is a national treasure.

Bob

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #3 on: 7 Jun 2010, 01:51 pm »
Jim posted a frequency plot of the SoundScape.   This is the plot from that website.

The following speakers all look like they have the same midrange and reviews have posted frequency response plots that are much less flat:

Lumen White Whiteflame

Marten Coletrane

Kharma Ceramique 2.2

Avalon Indra

Frequency plots are very poor at choosing a speaker, but I think the extra flatness of the SoundScapes is a strong testament to quality of the crossover design.  Well done Dennis!   All the speakers above, that are in current production, start at $20K and rapidly go up.   Also, none of them come close to the bass extension of the SoundScapes.

Bob

PS I spend too much time looking at competing designs while waiting for my SoundScapses!  :lol:

Thanks for the nice words--flat response doesn't guarantee good sound, but it's certainly an element.  This plot is with the highest tweeter setting.  The production model will offer two progressively more attenuated settings for bright rooms and differing ears.   

catastrofe

• "That's what credit cards are for. . ."
« Reply #4 on: 7 Jun 2010, 04:12 pm »
Is there any type of impedance graph available?  I saw a post that mentioned a relatively flat impedance, not dipping below 4 ohms.

Thanks!

fsimms

« Reply #5 on: 7 Jun 2010, 04:34 pm »
Is there any type of impedance graph available?  I saw a post that mentioned a relatively flat impedance, not dipping below 4 ohms.

I posted the SS10 plot.  The SS12 page has an impedence plot too.

http://www.salksound.com/soundscape%2012%20specifications.htm

Bob