SongTower 5 Speaker HT in Macassar Ebony

irishluck73

SongTower 5 Speaker HT in Macassar Ebony
« on: 29 Nov 2009, 09:26 pm »
After hours upon hours of reading on the AVS forum and listening to quite a few speakers locally I decided the best choice for our HT system would be the Salk SongTower series of speakers... This is a copy & paste of several posts on that forum but thought that it would be fun to have it here in the Salk area.

My journey ended this morning after paying my deposit to Jim Salk :D My wife loved the fact that we could have our own custom made speakers with our exact choice of veneers and that sealed the deal for us.

When I auditioned the speakers I truly loved their sound and was having a little bit of a difficult time in making my choice. I was never able to listen to the Salks next to another speaker so it was a little confusing on some of the detailed listening I had been doing. I also really liked the sound of the Paradigms, but they were a little harsh on the highs at higher SPLs to my ears, and they have a very aesthetically pleasing design, WAF concern, but how much cooler is it to have custom built speakers?!?! And she got to help pick out the veneer which really helped :) Ultimately I think we'll be much happier with the sound of the Salks and I look forward to years of enjoyment with them.

We will be going with a 5 speaker system, I've ordered the SongTowers, SongCenter and SongSurround 1's in a beautiful Macassar Ebony. We've decided to go with an ID subwoofer company and so far the 2 I like best from initial reviews are SVS and Epik. I think a 12" sub would suit us fine and would love to have a matching one from Salk, as they are beautiful in a matching veneer, but we can get one for half the price of the Salk Sub going through one of the other companies. Since Epik was having a great sale we decided to go with dual Sentinels to go with our SongTower setup.

Thank you for everyone's help, recommendations and encouragement! Now I'll just have to stop staring at the calendar waiting to receive my new Song system! :cool:

Will2

Re: SongTower 5 Speaker HT in Macassar Ebony
« Reply #1 on: 29 Nov 2009, 09:31 pm »
Wow - great veneer choice ...... well done!!

irishluck73

« Reply #2 on: 29 Nov 2009, 09:40 pm »
Wow - great veneer choice ...... well done!!
Thanks! I'm really excited to see what it looks like after the finishing process  :D

I forgot to mention how much Jim Salk helped me in my journey in finding the right speakers. Our e-mail correspondence and his patience with my questions and attention to detail when responding were outstanding to say the least! Honestly, the SongTowers sounded amazing, but Jim and his customer service definitely helped steer us towards Salk as well and I didn't want this to go unnoticed.

ralfale

« Reply #3 on: 30 Nov 2009, 12:07 am »
Congrats on your purchase. I am looking towards the delivery of mine as well :)