Name this open baffle speaker

jsalk

Name this open baffle speaker
« on: 1 May 2008, 12:42 pm »
The time has come to dream up a name a new speaker design.  In the past, we have enlisted your help in coming up with speaker names.  Veracity, SongTower and Pharos are a few names chosen from ideas submitted in threads such as this.

We worked on this design with Jeff Bagby, a very talented designer and author of a number of software programs for speaker design.  Here is a pciture of the speaker in question this time around...

The design is an open baffle midrange as you can see in this photo showing the 2" thick front baffle...

Here's another close-up...

Here is some information on the design to spark your thought process...

Technical description:

This is a very high-end three-way loudspeaker implementing relatively high sensitivity and an open-baffle design to the midrange.

One of the greatest sources of coloration in the midrange is caused by the internal reflections of the cone’s rear output off of the midrange enclosure’s rear wall and back into the cone. In many designs these reflections are handled by loading the midrange into a large sealed box stuffed with damping material, or possibly using a transmission line to capture midrange energy and direct it away from the cone. Although these methods can be successful, in this design these reflections are eliminated by removing the midrange enclosure altogether.

In dipole designs there is a cancellation that occurs at low frequencies whose wavelengths are relative to the baffle width. In the case of a dipole, equalization is usually required to raise the driver’s low end output to compensate for the cancellation. In this case however, the midrange’s operating band is primarily above the cancellation frequency, so it is simply referred to as an open-baffle midrange, rather than a dipole.

The midrange employed is a 6.5” PHL unit. The PHL is a high-end professional driver with high efficiency and high output capability, yet it has enough linear travel to remain linear through its entire operating range at high power levels keeping midrange distortion very low. As with any dipole / open baffle design there is a null in the response 90 degrees off axis to the sides of the speaker. This means there is little to no midrange energy to the sides of the speaker that can reflect back to the on-axis first arrival sound. This helps to maintain purity in the midrange that must to be experienced. The midrange’s rear radiation is much stronger than a conventional monopole mid, but if the speaker is at least a couple of feet from the wall behind it this only adds a sense of depth and openness to the presentation.

The woofer section is a traditional monopole vented box with a large 4” flared rear-mounted port. The woofer is a custom-made 12” Lambda woofer implementing a damped paper cone, large cast frame and massive motor assembly which weighs in at 27 pounds. The motor has a copper Faraday sleeve which runs the entire length of the voice coil. This sleeve significantly reduces voice coil inductance and associated distortion making this driver one of the lowest distortion 12” woofers available today, and an inductance normally associated with a 4” driver. The motor also provides the voice coil with a very long linear travel as well, which allows for rather high bass output capability. This is a woofer that can support the lower midrange with clarity and authority and at the same time provide true deep bass with high output.

The tweeter selected is a Morel MDT33; a triple-magnet 28mm dome tweeter with extremely linear on and off-axis response and very low distortion. It also possesses relatively high sensitivity for a dome tweeter. In terms of frequency response and distortion this tweeter is among the best dome tweeters ever made, and is an excellent sonic match for the midrange and woofer in this design.

Technical Specifications:

Frequency Response: 30-30kHz +/- 2 dB
Nominal Impedance: 8 ohms.
Sensitivity: 93 dB/2.83V/Meter
Crossover: 450Hz Second Order Acoustic In-Phase Linkwitz-Riley (Woofer to Midrange)
and  2.5kHz Fourth Order Acoustic In-Phase Linkwitz-Riley (Midrange to Tweeter)
The cabinet is 46 ½” H, 15” W and 12” D.
The front baffle is 2" thick and all panels are 1" thick with substantial bracing in the woofer section.

Here is a frequency response graph...

Hopefullly this is enough to get your creative juices flowing.

- Jim

TF1216

• Industry Participant
Re: Name this open baffle speaker
« Reply #1 on: 1 May 2008, 01:03 pm »
I have to chime in here.  Jim, these speakers are BEAUTIFUL!  I can't wait to hear what people have to say about this speaker at AK Fest. 

Thinking of a name for your new speakers I came up with Mitre.  These speakers resemble the hat worn by a Bishop.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitre

martyo

« Reply #2 on: 1 May 2008, 01:22 pm »
Beautiful looking speakers, I've always been partial to open baffles/dipoles. First the Dahlquists which were midrange open baffle/dipole and than the Carver ALS Platinums.

I think they resemble a surfboard, so how about a great surfing beach; The Waimea  8)

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3 on: 1 May 2008, 01:28 pm »
Sweeet Jim,  amazing to the eye as well as undoubtedly the ear. Got to admit tf's got a good thought there.

Dang it martyo, you reading my mind or what ? You got your post in while I was writing mine. Great minds think alike ??

1st thing that came to my mind was a surfboard, not that I've ever done any. So while it's probably not as lofty as Song Tower, Pharos, or Mitre, Wave-rider comes to mind. Offered FWIW.

Too too far to make the AKfest, wish I could. But may try to make RMAF this year to meet you & Frank. Hope you have a great weekend.

St_PatGuy

« Reply #4 on: 1 May 2008, 01:36 pm »
Wow, as always, another example of Jim's fine work.  I'll add Cathedrals to the list of names.  I guess you could go so far as to call them Open Cathedrals.

BPuckett

« Reply #5 on: 1 May 2008, 01:50 pm »
I have to figure out a way to hear those beauties in the near future.  They are definitely intriguing.

From the front, they resemble rockets.  How about Rocchetta (Italian for rocket)?  Also, they look like arch windows from the front.  How about Arche (middle English for arch) or Arcus (Latin for arch)?

I must admit to some confusion, Jim.  You list the frequency response as 30-30 kHz +/- 2 db.  Yet the frequency response plot shows the response down about 10 dB at 30 Hz.  Am I missing something?

Regards,
Bob

Nuance

« Reply #6 on: 1 May 2008, 02:02 pm »
It's funny that you guys used the word "surfboard" because my wife immediately said that is what they looked like when I showed her last night. 

I'll second the vote for "Bishop" -awesome!

Great work, Jim.  You once again prove you are a truly skilled mad scientist.   :D

Kokishin

• Cirroc: Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer
« Reply #7 on: 1 May 2008, 02:25 pm »
Beautiful looking speakers!  Suggest calling them "Sonic Markers".

ebag4

« Reply #8 on: 1 May 2008, 02:39 pm »
Cathedral is where my mind immediately went, but that has already been mentioned.  I'll go with Bell Towers. "Clear as a Bell!"

rockadanny

« Reply #9 on: 1 May 2008, 02:40 pm »
Absolutely gorgeous!!  :thumb:  :drool: Damn! I was thinking Cathedral as well, but already suggested. How about the "TRIOB"s. (3-way Open Baffle). Stop laughing - I had to come with something. JIM - any idea on projected price range? I'm hoping $1250-$1275.  :wink:

noshortcuts

« Reply #10 on: 1 May 2008, 02:44 pm »
Name those speakers: Cathedral.

Love 'em.

I checked google to see if any other important speakers are named Cathedral. Didn't find any. However, I found real cathedral speakers on ebay that look like these (shape wise).

I don't have a site to post the picture to. Here is the ebay listing while it lasts:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270233026039&ih=017&category=50597&ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1

jsalk

« Reply #11 on: 1 May 2008, 02:45 pm »
I must admit to some confusion, Jim.  You list the frequency response as 30-30 kHz +/- 2 db.  Yet the frequency response plot shows the response down about 10 dB at 30 Hz.  Am I missing something?

Regards,
Bob

Bob -

Good catch.  I saw this last evening and wondered how long it would take for someone to notice it.  According to Jeff, the graphs he supplied during the design process were based on anechoic measurements of the raw drivers and are not representative on the real-world response of the finshed speakers in the designed cabinets.   After we return from the show, we will have to generate some measurements and update the FR graph.

- Jim

fsimms

« Reply #12 on: 1 May 2008, 02:51 pm »
How about, for obvious reasons.

"Air"

Or

"WindSong" and later WindCenter and WindSurround

Or

"WindChime"

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #13 on: 1 May 2008, 02:55 pm »
Absolutely gorgeous!!  :thumb:  :drool: Damn! I was thinking Cathedral as well, but already suggested. How about the "TRIOB"s. (3-way Open Baffle). Stop laughing - I had to come with something. JIM - any idea on projected price range? I'm hoping $1250-$1275.  :wink:

Don't know about anyone else, but I vote for this pricing schedule  :lol:

Got to detach, at this rate I'll never get any work done.

"Is it Thursday ? Never got the hang of Thursdays." DA

mcullinan

« Reply #14 on: 1 May 2008, 02:55 pm »
They look great. The only thing I would suggest from a design point would be the shape of the center cone. The black mounting area is squarish and really interrupts the flow of the piece.

To me they look like a surfboard, I was also thinking they have a religious feel to them. The color enhanced the religious feel. They also look like a rocket.
How about Spire, Summit or Meridian.
Mike

ebag4

« Reply #15 on: 1 May 2008, 02:58 pm »
How about Spire, Summit or Meridian.

Good call Mike.  Saturday is Derby day, that would make them the "Twin Spires"
(for those that don't know, that is a Kentucky Derby, Churchill Downs reference)

idiotec

« Reply #16 on: 1 May 2008, 03:17 pm »
With the split between the woofer enclosure and the open baffle on top, I keep picturing a big letter "A." (I know, I severally lack creativity  :D)

So my suggestion is:  A93's

JoshK

« Reply #17 on: 1 May 2008, 03:25 pm »
Man oh man....these make a DIY'er like me jealous.... :duh:  This just might be the one commercially made speaker that does things pretty much like I would have done it....well almost, but close enough.   I am playing with Lambda's woofers too.  These sure look nice.  PHL's are without question some of the highest rated drivers for high sensitivity mids out there.  OB too...and the finish...boy do I love that guitar look.   :drool:

Name:  (I like Arche)  but being original... Airche

JohnR

« Reply #18 on: 1 May 2008, 03:31 pm »
"Leonora"

JoshK

« Reply #19 on: 1 May 2008, 03:45 pm »
Actually you might consider grouping the high-efficiency designs like this and the Pharos HET into a high efficiency line.  In which case, you might stick with an Egyptian theme....for which my suggestion is Horus.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horus
Horus refers primarily to two separate deities... they came to be known as one and the same....Represented as a falcon or hawk, his name is believed to mean "the high," "the far-off,"

Kinda cool link with an open-baffle design which generally yield a very deep and wide soundstage.