Has anyone compared the EAR+ Purist to the EAR+ Purist HD?

meech

I have a pair of Grado RS-1's that I'm using with an RA-1 amp.  Unfortunately, although nice, it's not smooth enough.  It's a little bright. I'd light to get the EAR+ amp but I'm not sure if I should hold out a little longer until I can afford the HD version.

Any opinions?

GarMan

« Reply #1 on: 11 Mar 2004, 05:10 pm »
The cool thing about building it yourself is that you'll know your way around under the chassis for any future upgrades.  If funding is tight, you can always build the standard version now, and than upgrade later.  In fact, you can even upgrade one area at a time.

Who knows?  You might like the standard version so much that there wouldn't be any need to upgrade.

Gar.

dado5

« Reply #2 on: 11 Mar 2004, 10:31 pm »
I would just go with the standard version.  It is considerably more musical and natural sounding than the RA-1 (I have the RS-2 and replaced the RA-1 with the Ear). I doubt the difference between the standard and HD versions of the Ear are as great as this improvement over the RA-1.

Good luck,
Rob

Blake

« Reply #3 on: 13 Mar 2004, 08:14 pm »
I have the prototype Ear ++ headphone amp/preamp (see gallery on MAD website.  The sound of the Ear++ is suppose to be identical to that of the Ear+ purist.  I am enamoured with it both as a headphone amp and a preamp.  I heard my Dad's Ear + on my Grado RS-1's and I could not stop listening to it.  The smoothess, the fullness, musicallity, the ability to comfortably and effortlessly hear detail drove me to the point where I just had to have one.  The Ear + is a superb mach for Grado headphones.  I am sure you will be satified with just the regular Ear + Purist.  However, I have taken some of my tax return money and sent my Ear ++ to Lloyd to upgrade the capacitors to auricaps.  When it comes back it should sound closer to the purist HD.  I will let you know what improvements I hear when I get it next week.  It is hard to imagine it sounding better.

youRobert

« Reply #4 on: 26 Mar 2004, 03:11 am »
i did the obvious, got the Purist.  should have spent the few bucks for the HD.  i've done the HEXFREDS (courtesy of Doc), then the BlackGates (my own self).  each change was not subtle, as they say at Stereophile.  bass really is much better with these changes.  i hadn't soldered in 20 years when i installed the HEXFRED board.  a 40 watt iron is a must; that and taking the time to plan out how you're going to proceed.  this was important for the BlackGates, since they are considerably larger than the standards, and are just lugged, so have to be wired first.  and since they a tad heavy, i opted for 18 gauge solid for mechanical stability.

just get the HD.

Blake

Now that my Ear++ has been upgraded ...
« Reply #5 on: 27 Mar 2004, 06:49 pm »
As I posted previously, my Ear++ was being upgraded by Dr. Lloyd.  I have now received it and I now have the auricaps, blackgates, and the hexfreds.  The upgrade is well worth it.  I notice improvements in transparency, bass, and sounstage.  The largest improvement is a more open sound.  The soundstage is larger and instrument separation is impoved.  Things seems a little less congested.  If I were purchasing another one I would get a Ear+ Purist HD.  Perhaps Dr Lloyd could make a Ear++ HD.

Regards ... Blake