HD cables - HDMI vs component???

Alwayswantmore

HD cables - HDMI vs component???
« on: 9 May 2008, 02:23 pm »
What's the best interface cable for HD video signals???  :scratch:

Background

Recently I switched to HD TVs. With the TV upgrades, I also upgraded to HD DVR from my cable provider, and I plan to purchase the new Panasonic BluRay when it hits the market.

So now I need to figure out video cabling...

I had assumed HDMI was the only way to go. But I found info quoted below on BlueJean's Web-site that more or less states that the HDMI standard is klugey (my words).

In regards to high quality HD video, is HDMI the best way to go, or would I be better off with component cables?

Any input from Videophile experts is much appreciated. Kent

Quote from BlueJeans...

"HDMI is a digital signal format, developed primarily as a platform for the implementation of HDCP (High Definition Content Protection) to prevent consumers from having complete access to the contents of high-definition digital recordings. As one might expect from a standard that was developed to serve the content provider industries, rather than the best interests of the consumer, HDMI is something of a mess. The signal is not robust over distance because it was designed to run balanced when it should have been run unbalanced (SDI, the commercial digital video standard, can be run hundreds of feet over a single coax without any performance issues); the HDMI cable is an unnecessarily-complicated rat's-nest arrangement involving nineteen conductors; switches, repeaters and distribution amplifiers, by virtue of this complicated scheme, are made unnecessarily expensive; and the HDMI plug is prone to falling out of the jack with little more than a light tug. As more and more manufacturers move to implement HDMI on more home theater devices, however, it falls to the consumer to try to make the best of this dubious and poorly-thought-out standard."

Bigfish

Re: HD cables - HDMI vs component???
« Reply #1 on: 9 May 2008, 02:36 pm »
My wife likes to watch our Pioneer Plasma TV without having to do anything except turning the TV on and watching.  The Pioneer has two HDMI inputs, thus I wired my system as follows:

Direct TV Box direct to Pioneer Plasma with HDMI
Direct TV Box to Denon 3806AVR with optical cable.  I use this when we watch movies over Direct TV for Surround Sound.

Sanyo BluRay Player to Denon 3806AVR with HDMI and Denon 3806AVR to Plasma TV with HDMI.  Sound and picture quality are excellent. 

Good Luck:

Ken

mjosef

« Reply #2 on: 10 May 2008, 02:18 am »
HDMI

low.pfile

« Reply #3 on: 10 May 2008, 02:27 am »
Interesting HDMI presentation here (video avail) :
http://www.smpte.org/education/education_pdaanywhere/
Presenter = Belden cable rep. Belden provides cable to BlueJean Cable.
Video Links at bottom of page

another viewpoint of HDMI cables (video avail also)
http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/2008/02/20/packing_the_deal/
Consumer oriented "Buyer Beware" segment showing reviews of $12 vs $260 HDMI cable.
video link at the top of page

« Last Edit: 10 May 2008, 03:52 am by low.pfile »

low.pfile

« Reply #4 on: 10 May 2008, 03:56 am »
Quick note
With my system (see link in sig) I use a pair of monoprice HDMI cables (under $10) from my upconverting DVD into my Denon AVR and Sony LCD. That combo is maxed out at 1080i and the quality is extremely good. When I get a Panasonic BluRay I will consider getting a better HDMI cable (one that has a return policy) it's easy enough to compare them.  No experience with component cables in this system.

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #5 on: 10 May 2008, 04:01 am »
Interesting HDMI presentation here (video avail) :
http://www.smpte.org/education/education_pdaanywhere/
Presenter = Belden cable rep. Belden provides cable to BlueJean Cable.
Video Links at bottom of page

another viewpoint of HDMI cables (video avail also)
http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/2008/02/20/packing_the_deal/
Consumer oriented "Buyer Beware" segment showing reviews of $12 vs $260 HDMI cable.
video link at the top of page

Very interesting. So HDMI is strictly digital, where component would be analog. So I would think that with a good TV, you want the up convert done in the TV vs the cable box, so HDMI would be the better way to go.

My other take away is that for short runs all cables may look the same. But some of the better cables may offer an advantage for longer runs, especially with the highest HD signals (like BluRay).

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #6 on: 10 May 2008, 04:11 am »
Quick note
With my system (see link in sig) I use a pair of monoprice HDMI cables (under $10) from my upconverting DVD into my Denon AVR and Sony LCD. That combo is maxed out at 1080i and the quality is extremely good. When I get a Panasonic BluRay I will consider getting a better HDMI cable (one that has a return policy) it's easy enough to compare them.  No experience with component cables in this system.

I just bought a 42" Pioneer Kuro Elite for my media room. The latest series of Pioneer has a good reputation for upconversion. The cable company dropped off an HD DVR this week along with a component cable. I will probably buy a couple Beldon HDMI cables from Blue Jeans. It will be interesting to see HDMI improves standard def TV programs (because the TV will do the upconvert in the digital domain).

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #7 on: 12 May 2008, 11:55 pm »
HDMI is what Blue Jeans Cable says it is. Unfortunately it has become a necessary evil since all the manufacturers have gotten on board with the HDCP concept. Kind of like USB won in the market over firewire, and ATA over SCSI. Cost and convenienece (and in this case attempts to force DRM into the video world) won out over the best technology.

As I recall, there are combinations of hardware where you can get 1080p over analog component cables, but you have to go down a path that may not fit with your plans.

I am not saying component is better than digital, but that HDMI is a sad excuse for a cable for HD video.

I am still old school, with component/DVI/1080i (and analog cable) in the HT and SVHS in the bedroom. Of course my Sony TVs give the best possible picture with what they have to work with.

randytsuch

« Reply #8 on: 13 May 2008, 01:09 am »
There is also the audio part to consider.

If you are getting a blu ray player, and have or get a receiver that supports it, then you can do 7.1 uncompressed PCM sound, but only over HDMI. 
OK, you can run 8 RCA cables from your blu ray player to your receiver, and do it that way too.

Randy

Charles Calkins

« Reply #9 on: 13 May 2008, 02:05 am »
Between HDMI and DVI and component I can't tell any difference. All looks the same and sounds the same to me.

Cheers
                                        Charlie