UCD400 vs Ncore question

ijscobar

UCD400 vs Ncore question
« on: 2 Oct 2012, 11:24 am »
I am very curious if there are people here who have been able to make a direct comparison between a UCD 400 (not the ST) and nCore? What was the outcome?

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: UCD400 vs Ncore question
« Reply #1 on: 2 Oct 2012, 11:55 pm »
Yes, there are two I think.  I'm sure they will respond.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: 2 Oct 2012, 11:58 pm »
Here's one

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=105310.msg1129975#msg1129975

BPT says:

I had early interest when Hypex started and was on the fence about purchasing until the upgraded UCD400HG became available. I  bought 4 modules and built 2 stereo amps with very good linear power supplies (for bi-amping my OB line source speakers). Was very pleased with the performance. Did some tweaking with the input capacitors and output filter network with minor improvements. Decided to go all out and built battery power supplies for them at +/- 48VDC. They were sooo quiet with great soundstage depth. Some members may have heard them in my exhibit room three years back at RMAF. After a couple years the batteries started to become a bit of a pain so I went back to linear supplies. In an effort for further improvements, I removed the input capacitors completely and had a nice improvement. That is how I have been listening the past couple years.
Enter the NC400. I dropped them in my system to drive my OB panels from 200Hz up. While the supplied power cords looked nice, I used my own designs because I know their sound making it easier to hear overall changes in the sound of the system. Tonally they sound almost identical to my UCD400HGs (which means, very neutral). They are very quiet (as advertised) with an extremely good soundstage. The big question for me is are they better than mine since I use a good linear supply vs. their switching supply. The answer is yes. In the midrange it was close, but I felt the NCs had a better sense of space with improvements in very low level detail retrieval. Maybe a 5% improvement. The high frequencies were an easier call with the NCs being much cleaner and musical. A good 15% improvement over the UCDHGs. I did not test the bass performance. So, yes they are better and yes, they are worth purchasing. How will these babies sound with a really great linear power supply? 
Chris H.
BPT

ijscobar

« Reply #3 on: 4 Oct 2012, 07:51 am »
Just what I was looking for! Thanks!

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: 4 Oct 2012, 11:24 am »
Just what I was looking for! Thanks!
:thumb:

Please report back if you decide to try the NC400's.

ijscobar

« Reply #5 on: 4 Oct 2012, 02:32 pm »
Will do that! At this moment I'm trying to find somebody in The Netherlands who is willing to come to my place in the near future and bring his/her Ncore's and try them on my speakers. (built my own speakers, they are now at Tony Gee's place where he will design the filter)

In the mean time I'm still interested in other reviews UCD vs Ncore!  :D

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: 4 Oct 2012, 03:29 pm »
Will do that! At this moment I'm trying to find somebody in The Netherlands who is willing to come to my place in the near future and bring his/her Ncore's and try them on my speakers. (built my own speakers, they are now at Tony Gee's place where he will design the filter)

In the mean time I'm still interested in other reviews UCD vs Ncore!  :D
I'd think that would be pretty easy.  Where are you in relation to Hypex?

ijscobar

« Reply #7 on: 4 Oct 2012, 03:41 pm »
I live about 70 kilometers from Hypex. I already mailed them if they have a demo Ncore but they said they don't have one. That's a pity. I once had the opportunity to try the UCD 700 for a couple of days but it seems I'm not so lucky concerning the Ncore. I think I will mail them again and ask if they can bring me in contact with a nearby user...

ijscobar

« Reply #8 on: 4 Oct 2012, 03:44 pm »
I also asked on a Dutch forum but it seems there is no Ncore in the neighborhood   :(

I'm in the process of selling 4 of my 6 UCD400AD's. When they are sold maybe I should just buy the Ncore's and make do my own test UCD vs Ncore. Can't go wrong I guess with all the positive reviews about the Ncore.
« Last Edit: 10 Oct 2012, 04:19 pm by ijscobar »

Shaman

« Reply #9 on: 13 Oct 2012, 10:50 am »
I've extensively compared a dual-mono UCD400HG-HxR amplifier + a pair of UCD700HG-HxR monoblocks to my NC400-SMPS600 monoblocks.
I can tell you that my friends who own the aforementioned amps are all upgrading to NCores ASAP.  :green:

ijscobar

« Reply #10 on: 13 Oct 2012, 12:56 pm »
Thanks Shaman! Last week I received a mail and I will probably have the opportunity to try a set of Ncore's at home! Can hardly wait!