Outstanding Demo CD's etc...

adydula

• Restricted
Re: Outstanding Demo CD's etc...
« Reply #100 on: 8 Apr 2009, 12:29 pm »
I much prefer the Jennifer Warnes, The Hunter over the Famous Blue Raincoat for recording quality. But still like the songs and material.

When you get an artrist you really like, on a well recorded, well produduced cd its magic...

The interesting thing is I have ALL the Krall stuff, including the DVD shows, concerts etc...and I generally like her singing, expertise, material  and piano playing....its a total package that has worked so well.

Its just when someone deviates from the norm, its like what happened or why??

Its not bad, but for an avid fan, to notice at first that something is different, was interesting....to me it sounded flat, voice ok, but where was that 'total' Krall sound???

I would NOT recommend this to a person who hasnt heard her for the first cd etc....

It kind of also reminds me of the old Beatles stuff i grew up with, each and new album was different and there were lots of 'us' that at first didnt like that, we wanted the Beatles to just keep on blatting out those simple happy tunes...

But no, they had to do Sgt Peppers, and all the rest.... :D

So maybe the D Krall missing piano isnt that 'big of a deal' anyhow in the scheme of things... :duh:

Glad to see the recent activity, I was wondering if anyone was stil reading the posts!!

Now back to playing with the new Oppo BD 83 toy!

All the best
Alex

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #101 on: 8 Apr 2009, 01:37 pm »
I was wondering if anyone was stil reading the posts!!
Absolutely Alex!
Some of us are waiting for your wallet to recover before we hit you with another volley.  :icon_twisted: aa

Bob

fishinbob

« Reply #102 on: 8 Apr 2009, 03:48 pm »
Good thread. Been following for some time and decided to nominate my "demo" female vocalist. At least I think that is where we are as this thread is sounding more like a fan club, rather than a favorite demo cut kind of thing at times, so here goes.
Anything by Alison Krauss. This girl does it for me. The first time I heard her sing I knew I wanted more. I first bought the "live" double album and must say that it is among the best live recordings I have.
Since buying the SongTowers my collection of vocal recordings is growing rapidly.Wonder why? Ms Krauss vocal style could be described as pure ... clear and certainly very refreshing for me. I abhore all the vocal exercising most of the pop artists call singing these days. Must be getting old... but I'd rather hear somebody gargle.
The first time I heard the studio version of her "New Favorite"cut on the album of the same name, I got the chills. Pehaps not a demo cut but very nice. Most of the AKUS dics are high caliber recording sonically and the performances very polished and musical. Union Station's got that old timey sound that's kind of growing on me too. The "fiddle" (Ms Krauss) and especially the dobro guitar sound excellent to my old ears.

In somewhat classical vein I can recommend one of my latest purchases called Incidental Music to Shakespeare's Tempest. Music composed by Sir Arthur Sullivan (Gilbert and....) and Jean Sibelius on Reference Recordings no less. This disc would be a good intro to the full orchestra sound for those who shy away from the classical music section. Sullivans pieces are very easy to listen to and might work for those who find most  'classical music' stuffy. But hold on...... the Sibelius ...... incredible, even with my humble equipment. I thought the Salks might explode. I can't imagine how this hi rez disc would sound with a better system. It is comprised of several cuts allowing use of the index rather than having to fast forward to get to the part, like so many classical recordings, so this will remain in the show off pile for some time.
Happy listening folks :D

Bob
« Last Edit: 8 Apr 2009, 08:32 pm by fishinbob »

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #103 on: 9 Apr 2009, 12:43 am »
fishinbob,

Hello!!

Flash...I dont have a single Alison Krauss cd?????????

Ok so you say anything of her's is ok...so what is you favorite etc...

Yes, I would like to obtain one to try, but as Bob in St Louis said I want to curb my Amazon activity!! :D

And yes the thread has taken off into a 'my favorite' female vocalist area, which is fine, as long as its a really great recording...

We still are looking for those demo cd's that are very well done regardless of artist...and golly gee I have learned so much since getting the
SongTowers....and I thought I knew everything about musice   :duh:

So keep those suggestions coming in about your favorote DEMO cd etc...

All the best
Alex

fishinbob

« Reply #104 on: 9 Apr 2009, 01:11 am »

adydula-
I would recommend "Alison Krauss + Union Station Live". Its a 2 disc set and has many of their better tunes including 'I am a man of constant sorrow' from the O' Brother Where Art Thou film. Very fun to listen to and well recorded. This is my first foray into bluegrass and with the SongTowers I'm diggin it.
« Last Edit: 11 Apr 2009, 01:12 am by fishinbob »

rodge827

« Reply #105 on: 9 Apr 2009, 01:22 am »

adydula-
I would recommend "Alison Krauss + Union Station Live". Its a 2 disc set and has many of their better tunes including 'I am a man' from the O' Brother Where Art Thou film. Very fun to listen to and well recorded. This is my first foray into bluegrass and with the SongTowers I'm diggin it.

+1  Alison Krauss + Union Station Live

A Great Recording :thumb:
« Last Edit: 9 Apr 2009, 11:47 am by rodge827 »

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #106 on: 9 Apr 2009, 02:06 pm »
Is this Live 2 disc set SACD??

Answering my own question, there is a SACD version and a normal 2 ch version...!!

THe SACD version is $134 !! Guess I wll get the good ole 2ch version!!  :roll:

Alex

martyo

« Reply #107 on: 9 Apr 2009, 02:19 pm »

adydula-
I would recommend "Alison Krauss + Union Station Live". Its a 2 disc set and has many of their better tunes including 'I am a man' from the O' Brother Where Art Thou film. Very fun to listen to and well recorded. This is my first foray into bluegrass and with the SongTowers I'm diggin it.

I have both the DVD and the Redbook Cd. I recommend the DVD if you do DVD in 2 channel, it's even better. (I started a thread about that; DVD better than Cd, but no one responded.)

fishinbob

« Reply #108 on: 9 Apr 2009, 02:37 pm »

I have both the DVD and the Redbook Cd. I recommend the DVD if you do DVD in 2 channel, it's even better. (I started a thread about that; DVD better than Cd, but no one responded.)

DVD -A?  If so I don't have that capability .............yet :lol:

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #109 on: 9 Apr 2009, 02:44 pm »
Marty..

Thanks for the information. I normally would only get the redbook version just from a purist standpoint, but agree that when the 5.1 stuff is done well its a real treat as well...especially when you get the video accompaniment.

What is amazing is how well a really good redbook played on the SongTowers is and how it comes so close to being 3 dimensional even though its a 2 ch recording...

Thanks again!!

Now off to Amazon land!!

Alex
 aa

Bob...I think he is referring to the DVD 2 disc set which has 5.1 and a english 2 ch stream, but the dvd does not have the 2 encore tracks from what i am reading on Amazon...

martyo

« Reply #110 on: 9 Apr 2009, 03:12 pm »
Marty..

Thanks for the information. I normally would only get the redbook version just from a purist standpoint, but agree that when the 5.1 stuff is done well its a real treat as well...especially when you get the video accompaniment.

What is amazing is how well a really good redbook played on the SongTowers is and how it comes so close to being 3 dimensional even though its a 2 ch recording...

Thanks again!!

Now off to Amazon land!!

Alex
 aa

Bob...I think he is referring to the DVD 2 disc set which has 5.1 and a english 2 ch stream, but the dvd does not have the 2 encore tracks from what i am reading on Amazon...

Yes, I only listen to the 2-channel output.  8)

fishinbob

« Reply #111 on: 9 Apr 2009, 03:24 pm »

Might check that one out, cause I can sure do that, though I'm getting on the better half for buying DVD  :nono: when we have BluRay.  :lol:

You'll do fine with the redbook should you choose.

PS: Checked it out ...probably will wind up in my cart ....$$$$$$ :lol:

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #112 on: 9 Apr 2009, 03:49 pm »
I ordered the DVD version...done deal...oh well!

Blu Ray is fine but many of these good dvd's will never be remade in Blu Ray or you might wait a long time for them...its the cost/ profit / demand model.  :)

This one of the reasons I got the new OPPO BD 83 so the upscale to 1080p would be as good as it gets etc...

Later
Alex

OgOgilby

« Reply #113 on: 9 Apr 2009, 06:49 pm »
I have the DVD version and the DTS audio is pretty good  :D

bahorn1

« Reply #114 on: 10 Apr 2009, 02:05 am »
Before I got my SongTowers, I mostly listened to 80's music.  But since getting my SongTowers, I've expanded my listening tastes, including those CDs that have more focus on quality vocals or seem to be quality recordings.  So I appreciate the recommendations made in this thread.

My CD recommendations, for demoing the STs, that I don't believe have been listed in this thread yet are:

Natalie Merchant - Tiger Lily (I think someone listed a track from this CD already)
Josh Groban - Closer
Chris Isaak - The Best of Chris Isaak

Alex: Congrats on getting an Oppo 83.  I signed up a couple of months ago but didn't get picked for either the first or second round of the EAP.  And I only live 10 minutes away from Oppo.  Obviously, vicinity was not a factor.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #115 on: 10 Apr 2009, 04:38 pm »
bahorn1:

Hello,

Nice meeting you.

The SongTowers really do well with the vocals for sure!!

I will look at the Tiger Lily cd and Chris Issak....good suggestions.

I watched a biography sd dvd last night on Joni Mitchell and was blown away at the entire dvd and music, its not reference or demo level but the Oppo, the songs and the material, i guess the 'total' package thing made this a very enjoyable event to me!

Jim many times has told me that its the overall 'where you blown' away thing that he has strived for in the design of his speakers.

Your really clost to Oppo!! I hope this thing goes retail soon, its really ready from my viewpoint....some minor stuff but its solid.

All the best
Alex

« Last Edit: 11 Apr 2009, 01:13 pm by adydula »

Gord_Toronto

« Reply #116 on: 11 Apr 2009, 02:55 am »
Well, they weren't showing up in any of my searches at the library and I couldn't wait any more.  Just made my 1st purchase from Amazon and looking forward to receiving:

Jennifer Warnes - "Hunter"

Madeleine Peyroux - "Careless Love"

Nils Lofgren - "Acoustic Live"

Jackson Browne - "Solo Acoustic, Vol. 1 & 2"

Jackson Browne - "Late for the Sky"

There goes the budget

rahimlee54

« Reply #117 on: 11 Apr 2009, 03:25 am »
There was a budget?

grenamc

« Reply #118 on: 11 Apr 2009, 03:54 am »
I am personally a bit on the fence about the Madeline Peyroux CD.  I think that it suffers from the compression obsession in today's recording industry, which is too bad as it has some excellent covers of great music.  And her voice is brilliant.  Let us know how it sounds on your Salks.

-Michael

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #119 on: 11 Apr 2009, 01:15 pm »
grenmac,

Yes the Madeline Peyroux does not sound as open and unrestrained as I wish it were..

Alex