Cheap, but mean, accessories and tweaks.

Baumli

Cheap, but mean, accessories and tweaks.
« on: 30 Apr 2019, 11:24 pm »
Dear folks,

One of the big audio magazines, either "Stereophile" or "TAS," years ago had a very nice two-page article on cheap tweaks submitted by readers. There were excellent ideas, but the magazine dropped it without explanation, in aboutt six months. I suspect some of their paid advertisers were complaining.

I wanted to tell people about some great power cords offered by HCM Audio. They're the previous model of AudioQuest, and in my opinion are vastly better than the NRG models. There are two. I use the AQ AC12-3.3 which is a 12-gauge cord, and can be ordered with several options. Most plug options are either Wattgate or Hubbell and one can order dual RFI blockers built into the cord. A very good cord @ 1.5-M can be had, counting shipping, for about $130. They also have a 15-gauge cord which is well-shielded too, and can be had with the RFI blockers. It is cheaper, and obviously is for runs requiring less gauge. I have three of these smaller ones, two for lights and one for my turntable motor. The AQ AC12-3.3 is used on my subwoofer amp. (SMC  Audio) and for that amp it works better than anything I have tried, including Cardas "Clear Beyond."

I recommend that people on a budget look into these. HCM Audio also has reasonably priced ICs but I haven't tried them. And they have much new equipment, but I think the AQ AC12-3.3 is probably one of the best bargains in audio.

It would be interesting to find out what a few other GAS members have found by way of such amazingly priced accessories.

Parsimoniously,

Francis Baumli

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Re: Cheap, but mean, accessories and tweaks.
« Reply #1 on: 30 Apr 2019, 11:42 pm »
Reads like an advertisement  :thumb:

Don_S

« Reply #2 on: 1 May 2019, 12:13 am »
I had not heard about this company in decades. They used to run auctions on Audiogon for Audioquest and Sonic Horizon power cords. I still have two of their Sonic Horizon power cords.  I think that is the house brand. I also have two of the Audioquest PCs I purchased from them.

genestl

jibzilla

« Reply #4 on: 9 May 2019, 11:46 pm »
My two biggest tweaks are acupwr step down transformers and sony se-p900 eq.

I use faux bob crump power cables from TFA audio. The $50 for 5 feet version that Ram electronics makes now for $65. Real Bob Crump cables from where Bob used to work are $350 I think. I only need 3 power cables anymore though. Everything is pretty much hard wired at this point. Just my 2 headphone amps and my dj mixer need power cables anymore.

For ic's I use what the pro's use, mogami/neutrik from proaudiola in particular. For speaker cables I use cold weld crimped bare wire canare/viablue cables from Ram electronics. For a tonearm cable I use oyaide.

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
« Reply #5 on: 10 May 2019, 12:29 am »
Reads like an advertisement  :thumb:

Agreed.. :popcorn:

JohnH12

• John H
« Reply #6 on: 15 May 2019, 12:57 am »
Most of you guys know this but here are few fun speaker tweaks that can help some speakers.

More bass, move speaker against the wall, then move to the corner then move to floor corner tilted up (if it’s bookshelf). If the mids get to muddy against the wall or in the corner plug the port with a sock.
Imaging sucks?  Try toeing the speaker in where the speakers are aimed to cross in front of your listening spot.
If your speakers are too hot and tiring to listen to, aim the speakers pointing straight ahead so you are listening off axis.
Want better mid-range? Raise the mid or mid-woofer to be at your ear height.

This assumes you have a listening spot between your speakers in a reasonable listening room.
It’s more fun than playing with tone controls.  :D

jibzilla

« Reply #7 on: 25 May 2019, 01:53 pm »
Not if you have my tone controls. Just me but bass traps and tone controls are the way to go first after properly setting your system up.