Upgrading some Yamaha studio monitors

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
Re: Upgrading some Yamaha studio monitors
« Reply #40 on: 15 Jul 2016, 04:18 pm »
Some of you might find this article to be "enlightening".

http://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/yamaha-ns10-story

bdp24

« Reply #41 on: 16 Jul 2016, 12:51 am »
Something to remember, the recording engineer is a hired gun and does what he is told. The customer is always right even if the recording sounds like a POS.
Scotty

Scotty, I'm going to take a wild guess and say you haven't spent much time inside recording studios ;-). In the incident I recalled, the customer was the singer/songwriter I accompanied to the session. Do you think the engineer "did what he was told" by this s/s? Most musicians know very little about big studio recording and engineering, and certainly don't tell the engineer on duty how to do their job.

Here's the problem, and it relates to Danny's statement about someone knowing just enough to make them think they know what they are doing, but not really knowing enough to do it well: British recording engineer Andy Johns became renown for his Led Zeppelin and Rolling Stones albums of the 70's. Now everybody wants the "Andy Johns" sound. So a young aspiring recording engineer goes to one of the big-city schools offering classes in that field, and learns of Andy Johns' technique of placing a distant mic in the recording room, to capture the big sound a room produces, one of the things that made Andy's recordings sound the way they do. But he isn't taught the basics of acoustic theory.

So along comes the singer/songwriter I'm with, and this young engineer puts a mic in the wall/ceiling corner, to record some room sound. What he doesn't know is that the corner of a room sounds terrible, the worst possible place to put a mic. That's not where Andy Johns put his ambience mic. During the playback of the recording, the ambience track was isolated, and everyone at the session agreed it sounded like s@&t. The recording of the song has to start anew, the singer/songwriter paying for the time wasted by this under-educated recording engineer to learn something he should have already known---acoustics theory. That's what I call on-the-job-training, paid for by the customer!

Andy Johns was hired by The Eagles to engineer an album with them. They were already huge stars, with a platinum album under their belts. Andy set up his mics, got his levels, and recording began. Hearing the playback of the first song, drummer Don Henley asked Andy to turn up his kick drum level, it wasn't prominent enough in the mix. Don hadn't noticed that Andy Johns, unlike a normal engineer, doesn't "close" mic a drummer's kick; he records a drumset with an overhead stereo mic, a mic on the snare drum, and a distant "ambience" mic. There was no way to turn up the kick drum, it wasn't on it's own isolated track. Andy told Don that if he wanted his kick louder, he should hit it harder. So much for an engineer being a hired gun and doing what he is told!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #42 on: 16 Jul 2016, 11:46 am »
Some of you might find this article to be "enlightening".

http://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/yamaha-ns10-story

+1

Summary:  small/sealed cabinet = little bass; rather uniquely constructed woofer cone and largish tweeter leading to good transient response; peaky midrange response to balance typical hi-fi speaker frequency response and reveal issues in the heart of the music; overly bright high frequency response; a love them or hate them studio de facto standard thanks to their adoption by Bob Clearmountain (a "name" engineer/producer circa 1980).

Not mentioned: passive design (not active) which is rare in studio circles.

So the NS10 is an quirky vintage design that was never popular in hi-fi circles. 

Funnehaha

« Reply #43 on: 17 Jul 2016, 12:28 am »
...so, I find this very interesting.

It might be fun to modify a pair of NS-10M's. Is there a kit one could from you to do this?

Danny Richie

« Reply #44 on: 17 Jul 2016, 01:19 am »
...so, I find this very interesting.

It might be fun to modify a pair of NS-10M's. Is there a kit one could from you to do this?

I can send you all the parts, No Rez, schematics, etc and you can give them a whirl. Several studios now have upgraded them the same way. They were all quite surprised and well pleased with the results.

JP78

« Reply #45 on: 17 Jul 2016, 06:37 am »
Danny I'm sorry if I've missed but how much do the mods cost?

In context of price + mods upgrade where would you assign value for either a hifi listener or a mixing engineer in the market for a new speaker?

Thanks!

Danny Richie

« Reply #46 on: 18 Jul 2016, 02:40 pm »
Danny I'm sorry if I've missed but how much do the mods cost?

In context of price + mods upgrade where would you assign value for either a hifi listener or a mixing engineer in the market for a new speaker?

Thanks!

As shown the total for everything was $355.90. That's all parts, wire, tube connectors, No Rez, schematic, support, etc.

maty

« Reply #47 on: 19 Jan 2020, 09:50 am »

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #48 on: 19 Jan 2020, 04:39 pm »
The HS5 was aimed at amateurs, hence the "HS" (home studio). It was a successful attempt to lure the neophyte who bought slightly inflated bass and treble response. The real deals were the MSP5 and MSP7, but they were too expensive for the dabbler who didn't understand the value or meaning of "reference standard".