***X-Otica Main & Sub Build***

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
Re: ***X-Otica Main & Sub Build***
« Reply #140 on: 22 Jun 2016, 07:00 am »
Thanks for the compliment. Creating and solving problems along with working wood have been passions for much of my 60 years. If I had more time and money, I'd apply same to metal working and, and, and... the list never ends. Interestingly, I think I've better learned to balance my life by kinda strolling through stuff like this as it protracts over months. My tendencies run toward obsession which would have me up till midnight  forcing myself to finish.

I'm sometimes too curious (and occasionally ambitious) for my own good. These projects make little sense from a "dollar return on investment" standpoint, but the enjoyment that comes along for the ride is really what I treasure anyway, so I don't really give to much thought to it.

that might be more than you want to know. I'd insert an emoticon, but Edge browser evidently thinks that's too much to ask.

Peter, I just wrote a long and somewhat personal response to your very open post and some how when I tried to save it as a word doc on my computer to finish later, well you know........ So, You and I are a lot a like from what you wrote. I make things out of my head when there is a need "or sometimes not". They don't belong on AC so no one here will see them but I take on a challenge when I need to. One project recently was my Mom needing to keep her feet above her heart "long story" so I made a foot lift with an actuator and an IR remote that does just that. I built it into a square post made out of aluminum and oak plywood. She can put her feet on a pillowed platform and lift it up or down when she needs to. Another recent project was a kite retriever for my cousin who has an enormous kite he takes to the ocean in Oregon each year. Sometimes he can't bring it down manually because the wind is too strong. I used a 24v DC motor and the joy stick from a wheel chair and he could let out or bring in his kite no matter what the conditions and at any speed he wanted. Needless to say a lot of people took notice.

You are a man of my own heart and I appreciate you bringing your ideas and projects to the community (especially with pictures) and letting us all tag along. 

Peter, keep your imagination, incredible skills and your passion out where we can observe, learn and appreciate all that you do.

Greg

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #141 on: 22 Jun 2016, 07:03 am »
+1 on what Greg said.  :thumb:

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #142 on: 27 Jun 2016, 03:09 am »
Soooooo, ideas and pictures you say?

Today I made not one single particle of sawdust, but did spend some of the day forking around with ideas for amp boxes. For whatever reason, I have a hard time loving the mental image of the plate amps on their backs with wires sticking up sitting next to the Magnum Opuses (Opusi?) in all their imagined glory. I'm thinkin' something more refined, but am limited by the amp itself.

This is where I'm currently headed, perhaps with some changes, but generally kinda the same...how's that for vague? Input and power wiring would enter/exit bottom, output and sensing wires will exit side via female Speakon connectors much like the subs themselves. Grills would be magnetic at least on front for access, amp would screw to flange you see inside.

Easier to draw than make me thinks....something more to ponder.

« Last Edit: 27 Jun 2016, 06:53 am by Peter J »

Early B.

« Reply #143 on: 27 Jun 2016, 03:45 am »
Soooooo, ideas and pictures you say?

Today I made not one a single particle of sawdust, but did spend some of the day forking around with ideas for amp boxes. For whatever reason, I have a hard time loving the mental image of the plate amps on their backs with wires sticking up sitting next to the Magnum Opuses (Opusi?) in all their imagined glory. I'm thinkin' something more refined, but am limited by the amp itself.

This is where I'm currently headed, perhaps with some changes, but generally kinda the same...how's that for vague? Input and power wiring would enter/exit bottom, output and sensing wires will exit side via female Speakon connectors much like the subs themselves. Grills would be magnetic at least on front for access, amp would screw to flange you see inside.

Easier to draw than make me thinks....something more to ponder.

I like it. Would there be sufficient clearance for a really thick power cord to run underneath?

I would definitely be interested in purchasing better amp boxes. Mine are lying flat on the floor behind the speakers with power and input cables sticking upwards. That's not pretty. 

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #144 on: 27 Jun 2016, 07:09 am »
I like it. Would there be sufficient clearance for a really thick power cord to run underneath?

I would definitely be interested in purchasing better amp boxes. Mine are lying flat on the floor behind the speakers with power and input cables sticking upwards. That's not pretty.

I'm not sure about that, only about 1 1/2" of space from front of amp to back of grill as drawn. I'm figuring on making my own cords for this very reason. Will use right angle plugs.

https://www.parts-express.com/marinco-320iec15-iec-power-connector-15a-120v--110-400

http://www.soniccraft.com/product_info.php/marinco-15ra-right-angle-adapter-p-1626?osCsid=67b35cee24fa6969204d2b83cc1e48b2

bdp24

« Reply #145 on: 27 Jun 2016, 11:50 am »
LOVE it! Looks like the Wavestream Kinetics V8 amplifier that George Cardas has in his home system. Each mono amp has a line of four tubes sticking out horizontally from either side, looking like a V-8 engine, hence it's name.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #146 on: 27 Jun 2016, 12:41 pm »
Love it!

Using Pangea 9awg cable with my HX800 amps and they are big!   :o

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #147 on: 27 Jun 2016, 07:04 pm »
Really cool idea Peter, I like them a lot. I guess I don't mind my amps in the boxes Ruben built, definitely a conversation piece.

Your grills look great and I like the idea of them standing up, kind of like my ipad mini in its stand up case.
« Last Edit: 28 Jun 2016, 05:34 am by gregfisk »

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #148 on: 15 Jul 2016, 04:43 am »
Futzed around with the details and think I got where I want to be on the amp house

And to complete the ensemble, matching amp bases

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #149 on: 15 Jul 2016, 05:09 am »
Got some more grillin' done, but then had to take time out and go to Michigan and play Monopoly with the grandsons...I schooled 'em.

Gees, who designed this grill laden thing? Didn't Motley Crue do a song about this...Grills, Grills, Grills. Or something like that...

Not putting corner gussets in like the front so I reinforced corners with a spline. Routed them flush after glue dried

More magnets. I bought 200 magnets and haven't counted but have used a good chunk of 'em. Of course there was that front grill snafu...

Primed and cleared. Glad that's behind me. What was I thinkin'?

Moving on to prepping for copper gilding. What's up with the red, you're asking. This is the undercoat color. It'll peek through copper here and there after gilding...you'll see when we get there. Sub fronts will get the same treatment

Before and after scuffing so gild size has some tooth

Guy 13

« Reply #150 on: 15 Jul 2016, 10:04 am »
Peter, that's quite a nice, large
and well equipped wood working shop you got there !  :thumb:
Nice work, I'm anxious to see the finish product.

Guy 13

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #151 on: 15 Jul 2016, 01:47 pm »
Peter, that's quite a nice, large
and well equipped wood working shop you got there !  :thumb:
Nice work, I'm anxious to see the finish product.

Guy 13

Don't hold your breath, Guy, but you'll see them completed sooner or later.

The shop was a dream of mine for many years.  For a long time I worked in a small garage at another house and when we moved to this one, the driveway was my workspace because I had equipment stored in the garage. It was a few years before I got this built. Occasionally I have to pinch myself and remember how my dream became reality. I'm grateful for the space but, of course, there's plans for it  that have yet to come.

Captainhemo

« Reply #152 on: 15 Jul 2016, 04:17 pm »
Futzed around with the details and think I got where I want to be on the amp house

And to complete the ensemble, matching amp bases

I like them Peter, very nice  8)
I don't envy you  dealing with all those grills, think I'd go crazy.

Got some more grillin' done, but then had to take time out and go to Michigan and play Monopoly with the grandsons...I schooled 'em.

Congrats on that, enjoy  it while you can, the day will come....   :lol:

jay

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #153 on: 16 Jul 2016, 04:01 pm »
I like them Peter, very nice  8)
I don't envy you  dealing with all those grills, think I'd go crazy.

Congrats on that, enjoy  it while you can, the day will come....   :lol:

jay

Well, those same boys absolutely kick my ass when it comes to anything involving a conventional (I think) game controller for the Xbox. I am so clueless I'm certain I appear to be a doddering old fool. Now, mind you, they do have some appreciation of my skills, having built some small things together. I'm kind of speechless, though, when queried about the possilbity of building a car or house or some such. Should be easy, right? Maybe take a weekend at best.
« Last Edit: 16 Jul 2016, 05:29 pm by Peter J »

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #154 on: 16 Jul 2016, 04:29 pm »
Well, those same boys absolutely kick my ass when it comes to anything involving a conventional (I think) game controller for the Xbox. I am so clueless I'm certain I appear to be a doddering old fool. Now, mind you, they do have some appreciation of my skills, having built some small things together. I'm kind of speechless, though, when gueried about the possilbity of building a car or house or some such. Should be easy, right? Maybe take a weekend at best.

A house isn't so hard. I've built a few of them. Granted I was considerably younger then so would probably take a couple of weekends now  :lol:.

X-Box, what's that??  :o

Mike

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #155 on: 17 Jul 2016, 05:08 am »
A house isn't so hard. I've built a few of them. Granted I was considerably younger then so would probably take a couple of weekends now  :lol:.

X-Box, what's that??  :o

Mike

Two weekends? I'm afraid that's just too long, Mike. By then something else will have captured their fancy. What could you do in two hours?

An Xbox is a time-wasting box with lights and buttons and, I'm told, supposed to entertain a person...kinda like audio, eh?

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #156 on: 17 Jul 2016, 05:22 am »
I get a little nervous when it's time to build crossovers, so before I build the actual boards I wanted to post a photo and make sure I'm not committing some electronic sin I'll regret later. I'm particularly concerned about inductor orientation and proximity. This will be mounted on the rubber standoffs you see and resistors, bypass cap and wiring will be underneath.  Does it look copacetic?

Danny Richie

« Reply #157 on: 18 Jul 2016, 02:42 pm »
That doesn't look too bad, but I'd twist the one on the left a little so that if it were to roll it would roll into or away from the large inductor that is mounted flat.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #158 on: 18 Jul 2016, 11:55 pm »
That doesn't look too bad, but I'd twist the one on the left a little so that if it were to roll it would roll into or away from the large inductor that is mounted flat.

Thanks Danny, that was my biggest concern. For whatever reason it only came into focus after I laid it all out and drilled the holes. Fortunately I can modify my template and then get it right on the final boards.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #159 on: 25 Jul 2016, 06:12 am »
It was a dark and stormy night...no, wait....lost myself for a second.

The Magnum Opus saga continues. You sure can't say I hurried through this one. I can hear them in my head, but then I hear lots of things in my head...perhaps fodder for another thread.

I almost forgot about to grill storage on the side of cabinet, soooo

Final assembly on crossovers

And now what you've all been waiting for...or not. Gilding, Peter J style. Not quite like the masters.
Here's the size and what I used to spray it. Mohawk is the cheap stuff, fine for this gig. Other stuff is for special occasions...

Best place I've found for copper leaf, they sell on eBay. Got that cheapo gilder's brush from them too.

Masked off where I didn't want to spray the size. plug made it easier. Gilding sticks wherever size is

Sprayed size. Size is, as near as I can tell, varnish. Maybe other things in it, but primarily quick drying varnish. If you're trying this, you gotta wait until the size gets just the right tackiness. Too soon and the gilding will become saturated and consequently won't be affected by chemical patina-ing. Wait too long and, well, it won't stick. And by the way this is quick size, the not quick stuff stays tacky for looooong time, like days.

Gilding progress. I'm purposely being semi careless and tearing sheets and applying in a haphazard way. You'll see why

Kinda  aggressively brushed excess off to expose the red in a random way.

The hairy baffle

After pouncing with brush

After brushing like before

Some of the carnage...it's messy. Oh, and can't be breezy either, I sometimes hold my breath so I don't mess things up, but on this kind of thing, it's specifically not fussy.

I always wondered about this, are dimentions what you use if you have dementia?