GR-Research Super-V's and modified Dodd Audio battery preamp

HAL

• Industry Contributor
While at LSAF talked to Gary Dodd about modifying my original Dodd Audio battery preamp with dual Dario Miniwatt 7308 tubes to the new variable gain design with single 6H30-DR tube to use with my Super-V's.  I heard the new version preamp at Gary's driving the new battery powered 2A3 SET amp with his GR-Research V1's and it sounded very good in his room. 

The original battery preamp with remote has to much gain and higher noise floor for my setup, so this mod should lower the noise floor and gain for a better match with the Super-V's.   I have the DIY battery tube buffer now with the 6H30-DR and it sounds really good, with low noise but want a little more gain.  Good news is that I can reuse the 6H30-DR tube as it has low hours!

Also going to mod this preamp for external battery power for 12V operation with the 75Ah Optima blue top AGM battery.

Packing it up soon.  Will be interesting to hear the new variable gain preamp and buffer with the Super-V setup.

Brad

Battery-powered 2a3 SET???
That phrase gets better with every word.

jparkhur

Rich,

You will love it.  My VGP with the DR tube, and battery powered is dead silent.  I love the ability to adjust the gain on the back to fit different amps in my system.  I am just angry it took my this long to find Dodd Audio and the preamp.  My batter is a Power Sonic 100 AMH with the Pi.. Audio Battery buss. Love it all.

JP
 Maybe TT can put the new stuff in for Gary  :wink:  I hear he has new cabinets?

HAL

• Industry Contributor
JP,
Glad to hear it!  It will be a fun listening session!

If I had more time, it would have been fun to rebuild the V1's in the new cabinets at Gary's!

Brad,
Yes, Gary had it on display at LSAF in the room with Danny.  I heard it at his place driving the V1 driving the coaxials.   Very nice indeed.

TrungT

That battery powered 2A3 amp is mine, Gary mods it to battery powered and select-able voltage for 6A3, 2A3 and 300B.
 :thumb:

carusoracer

Very Cool 8)

Brad

I wish I had gotten a chance to come down and see/hear it at LSAF.  :duh:
I left my room for maybe 30 minutes total during exhibitor hours.

SoCalWJS

That battery powered 2A3 amp is mine, Gary mods it to battery powered and select-able voltage for 6A3, 2A3 and 300B.

:drool:
 :drool: :drool:
I gotta try something like that someday........

ebag4

Very interesting Trung!  Are you saying that you had a 2A3 amp and Gary modified it to work with battery power or Gary built from scratch a 2A3 battery powered amp?

Thanks,
Ed

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Hey Trung,
Is this the amp that Gary built with the 6A3 RCA tubes that I gave him? 

Scott

TrungT

Yes, the amp start out with 6A3 tube you gave him.
Now it running with JJ 2A3-40, and it can run 300B too.  :thumb: