Axpona - Chicago coming up.. tube amps?

fishboat

Axpona - Chicago coming up.. tube amps?
« on: 27 Feb 2013, 06:58 pm »
It looks like I have an audio show coming up that's nearby..never been to a show, so it might be entertaining.  It doesn't look as if Dodd or GR will be there.

http://www.axpona.com//exhibitlist.asp

I'll be building a pair of Super V's before long and I have an integrated tube amp I'll be using initially (Jolida 502B..60W, heavily tube rolled). 

As long as I'll be wandering through the show are there any exhibitors on the list above I shouldn't miss (with respect to tube amps..I have a tube pre already also)?  I'm guessing with the SV efficiency, lower power tube amps would be plenty (<60W & probably in the 10-40W range..flea-power might be too low(??)..some headroom is usually a good thing).

I'm also doing some searching on high efficiency speakers thinking that they may use lower power amps..

tasar

Re: Axpona - Chicago coming up.. tube amps?
« Reply #1 on: 27 Feb 2013, 07:35 pm »
Geez..  you had an invitation. Tell you what, get to Green Bay and stand at the water's edge. I'll setup on Traverse Bay and show you what a good 1.5W SET can do with the PA Coax ! Otherwise, the ferry will be running soon, the ice is on the move.

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #2 on: 27 Feb 2013, 08:30 pm »
Geez..  you had an invitation. Tell you what, get to Green Bay and stand at the water's edge. I'll setup on Traverse Bay and show you what a good 1.5W SET can do with the PA Coax ! Otherwise, the ferry will be running soon, the ice is on the move.

:D......nice.

Have to agree....have had a 15w MP, a 6.5w MP(musical paradise), and recently a 1953 Magnavox 10w thats been rebuilt on
my SVs.....all have been outstanding and have never come close to half throttle.

roscoeiii

« Reply #3 on: 27 Feb 2013, 08:32 pm »
I would look at both Rogue and Quicksilver. Line Magnetic (LM) too if they will be there.

fishboat

« Reply #4 on: 27 Feb 2013, 09:48 pm »

tas..I really do appreciate the invite, but Traverse Bay, while a beautiful place, isn't necessarily across the street.  Chicago is about 90 minutes  :)  If we were in camping weather I may have already dropped by.

I appreciate the suggestions/experience with powering the SV's.  I just don't have a feel for power required for a 97dB speaker as I have been down that road.  My current system is pushing around 350W into 86db (4 ohm) speakers...sort of the other end of the world..

doug067

« Reply #5 on: 27 Feb 2013, 09:52 pm »
Yes, I'm looking forward to the show too. I have never been either. Appears to be multiple floors of fun! Though I've just bought some 200w tube mono's from Mr Dodd and a tube preamp, I'm still looking around for cables, cd, dac, rack components.  Coming in from south of the lake. Indiana. Though dont hold that against me.

stevenkelby

• Adelaide, South Australia
« Reply #6 on: 27 Feb 2013, 10:05 pm »
A 15 watt cheap chip amp pushes mine easily to 100db (as loud as I ever listen, and only briefly) with the volume turned to about 3/4 of max.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=300-380

Still waiting for my real (tube, Dodd) amp to arrive but even that will be only 17 watts and more than enough power.

I'm now looking at building a 4-10 watt SET or OTL amp, I'm sure 4 watts will be plenty :)

tasar

« Reply #7 on: 28 Feb 2013, 01:19 am »
hey Perry.... that 53 Mag stirred me all up. I dragged my 8th grade electronics class 65 model Knight monoamp. Glorious El 84 w a whopping 6W no boutique electrics except the original Mullards came in the kit ! I know, what a country !! What were we thinking, looking back at the paperwork I could have built two for $25.... but hey, we were just getting use to the concept of STEREO back then!

Doug in IN.... you're welcome in MI. A fellow AC'er "Ebag" has some Vs and has had great success with Bottlehead, a DIY low power tube dragon slayer ! He's in Southern, IN. Great guy and a Hoosier !

Truth is most headphone amps will excite the coaxs plenty.