Super V cross over design -

Trismos

Super V cross over design -
« on: 24 Feb 2013, 01:08 am »
I believe I saw it somewhere but I cannot find it now, The cross over design for the Super V (with the Jupiter cap) is based on how wide the perceived baffle is - the actual baffle and the added area of the 'wings' that come down. What is this figure? As long as my baffle meets this number I should be good to go correct?

Danny Richie

Re: Super V cross over design -
« Reply #1 on: 24 Feb 2013, 07:22 pm »
If you look at the pics of the completed crossovers you will note that they are not built out to fit in the smallest space possible. Since plenty of space is available space is taken to help keep inductors separated.

I think I built these out on boards that were about 11" wide.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=98348.msg990393#msg990393

Trismos

« Reply #2 on: 24 Feb 2013, 07:26 pm »
But the cross-over is designed based on a specific baffle size correct?

Danny Richie

« Reply #3 on: 24 Feb 2013, 07:33 pm »
But the cross-over is designed based on a specific baffle size correct?

Sure. If you wee to alter the design of the baffle width then it will alter the response and require crossover values to change. But all you have to do is follow the plans and you won't have to worry about that stuff. All the hard work is done.

Trismos

« Reply #4 on: 24 Feb 2013, 07:46 pm »
This assumes I like the original design. This is a DIY project, and though I am certainly honored to be privy to your genius (and I mean that in the most respectful of ways), I am not the only one to have considered an alternative design. I purchased the sub section before I bought the rest of it and I built the subs in the W cabinet you show on your website. It was very challenging to build but I really like it now that it's done. I wish to incorporate this into a Super V build. I'm thinking my baffle will be different but obviously I need to stay within the design parameters.

Danny Richie

« Reply #5 on: 24 Feb 2013, 07:52 pm »
This assumes I like the original design. This is a DIY project, and though I am certainly honored to be privy to your genius (and I mean that in the most respectful of ways), I am not the only one to have considered an alternative design. I purchased the sub section before I bought the rest of it and I built the subs in the W cabinet you show on your website. It was very challenging to build but I really like it now that it's done. I wish to incorporate this into a Super V build. I'm thinking my baffle will be different but obviously I need to stay within the design parameters.

One of the best things about DIY is that you can design it or build it the way you want. There is a lot of flexibility in the Super-V design that allows you to alter the shape of the side panels, and other minor changes. However, changing the size of the baffle that the P-Audio drivers mount to and changing the depth of the side wings will alter the response. Stay as close as possible to the plans in that regard and you'll be in good shape. 

Trismos

« Reply #6 on: 24 Feb 2013, 07:57 pm »
Perhaps I am thinking incorrectly then. I am assuming that the wings add to the baffle width that the P-Audio driver perceives? It's quite simple to do the math given your design otherwise,

Danny Richie

« Reply #7 on: 24 Feb 2013, 08:03 pm »
Perhaps I am thinking incorrectly then. I am assuming that the wings add to the baffle width that the P-Audio driver perceives? It's quite simple to do the math given your design otherwise,

Yes, the driver sees the wings as part of the baffle width. The wings make the baffle wider without adding surface reflections that have negative effects on everything.

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #8 on: 25 Feb 2013, 06:48 pm »
I am also someone who is very exited to be able to build one of Danny's designs but want to customize it and make it my own as well. If keeping the wings the same and keeping the baffle size the same, is there any problem with changing the shape of the baffle such as making the top flat?

When looking at the original plans for the Super V the plate below the P driver which the crossover goes under is angled and with the flat pack it is flat and then curves down in the back. Does the shape of this area make any difference?

Also, how far down the front of the baffle matters? Does the speaker care if the bow tie is removed or the area below that? And would it matter if the top baffle section is separated by an open space say an inch from the lower subwoofer section?

Thanks,

Greg

Trismos

« Reply #9 on: 25 Feb 2013, 10:31 pm »
Good questions gregfisk. How far below the speaker does a baffle affect the speaker? I'm guessing that different wave lengths will each act differently at different spots on the baffle. I was thinking I just wanted a single round baffle for the P-Audio driver and all I would have to do is add up the area of the wings and the baffle. (How many times can one say 'baffle' in a post  :wink:) But where do you stop beneath the speaker? At the edge where it becomes the subwoofer section? And then does that bow tie area get included in the math? Or am I over complicating things?

Regards
Dave

dragoonxp20

« Reply #10 on: 25 Feb 2013, 10:45 pm »
Good questions gregfisk. How far below the speaker does a baffle affect the speaker? I'm guessing that different wave lengths will each act differently at different spots on the baffle. I was thinking I just wanted a single round baffle for the P-Audio driver and all I would have to do is add up the area of the wings and the baffle. (How many times can one say 'baffle' in a post  :wink:) But where do you stop beneath the speaker? At the edge where it becomes the subwoofer section? And then does that bow tie area get included in the math? Or am I over complicating things?

Regards
Dave

Would you say it's baffling you? (Sorry couldn't resist)
I'm also curious.

Toaster

« Reply #11 on: 26 Feb 2013, 12:07 am »
Surely a round baffle would be worst-case in terms of diffraction?

Trismos

« Reply #12 on: 26 Feb 2013, 01:09 am »
Surely a round baffle would be worst-case in terms of diffraction?

I would have guessed the opposite. No edges or corners to figure out.

Danny Richie

« Reply #13 on: 26 Feb 2013, 01:16 am »
is there any problem with changing the shape of the baffle such as making the top flat?

That will add some surface reflections. Not an amount that is detrimental. It would be subtle, but not in a positive way. 

When looking at the original plans for the Super V the plate below the P driver which the crossover goes under is angled and with the flat pack it is flat and then curves down in the back. Does the shape of this area make any difference?

All just an effort to minimize the effect of their being a flat surface there. Slanting it away from the driver helps.

Also, how far down the front of the baffle matters?

Everything has some effect.

Does the speaker care if the bow tie is removed or the area below that?

The bow-tie is just to separate the upper and lower grills. It can be removed. I would not increase that area in that region though. The driver still needs to be near ear level.

And would it matter if the top baffle section is separated by an open space say an inch from the lower subwoofer section?

Yes, that would alter the front to back separation.

Danny Richie

« Reply #14 on: 26 Feb 2013, 01:23 am »
How far below the speaker does a baffle affect the speaker?

It all does.

With this speaker though, there is a pair of servo subs right below it. So whatever you have for a baffle area will not extend down too far.

Ideally, you don't want a baffle. Baffles, from an acoustic standpoint are bad. But you can't just hang a driver out there in nothing or you get early cancellation to the sides and no real output below its beaming frequency range. So you have to have something to separate the front wave from the back wave.   

So the Super-V baffle is designed to have a minimum amount of surface reflections but just enough separation front to back to allow for good output down to a crossover point (6db down point) of 200Hz. Below that something else will take over.