Joining two panels when making speaker cabinets

Don_S

Re: Joining two panels when making speaker cabinets
« Reply #20 on: 23 Feb 2013, 09:29 pm »
Steve,

I did not know that.  Thanks for the education.   :thumb:

The nice thing about biscuit joints is that the special beechwood biscuits are designed to swell and expand with wood glue and make for an extremely tight joint.

Steve

bdp24

« Reply #21 on: 24 Feb 2013, 10:25 am »
I have worked with biscuits when I was a furniture/cabinet maker's assistant, but didn't do the cutting myself. I guess there's nothing stopping me from getting the tool---it looked not too difficult. The seams on the edges in the pics posted here are so good I had to look for them!

Napalm

« Reply #22 on: 24 Feb 2013, 01:30 pm »
The nice thing about biscuit joints is that the special beechwood biscuits are designed to swell and expand with wood glue ...

...which is great with solid wood and thicker materials but can go utterly wrong with thin plywood..... lol....

Napalm

« Reply #23 on: 24 Feb 2013, 01:38 pm »

+ carpenter's yellow glue, pretty much indestructible. Works equally well with MDF.

bdp24

« Reply #24 on: 24 Feb 2013, 01:43 pm »
Is Alder considered a Hardwood? Those corner pieces with round-overs are easy to obtain. I'll be painting, so color doesn't matter.

Napalm

« Reply #25 on: 24 Feb 2013, 01:56 pm »
Is Alder considered a Hardwood? Those corner pieces with round-overs are easy to obtain. I'll be painting, so color doesn't matter.

Alder will work fine if you can machine it, beware of knots when routing.

What you may want to avoid is wood that doesn't absorb well glue (e.g. resinous wood such as pine) or tends to warp (e.g. poplar).

bdp24

« Reply #26 on: 24 Feb 2013, 01:59 pm »
Great, thanks.

bdp24

« Reply #27 on: 25 Feb 2013, 04:10 am »
Damn, a good biscuit joint cutter is about 200 bucks! Let's see, who do I know who has one I can borrow.....

Napalm

« Reply #28 on: 25 Feb 2013, 04:59 am »
Damn, a good biscuit joint cutter is about 200 bucks!

C'mon go "Hi Fi" get the Festool Domino  :jester:

bdp24

« Reply #29 on: 25 Feb 2013, 05:11 am »
Ooh, would I like a whole woodshop full of Festool  :drool:. Worth more than my hi-fi! Bosch is more in my price range---I just got the ROS20 sander. Good enough for my skill level!

fishboat

« Reply #30 on: 25 Feb 2013, 11:41 am »
Damn, a good biscuit joint cutter is about 200 bucks! Let's see, who do I know who has one I can borrow.....

Keep an eye on CL.  The 'golden age' of the biscuit jointer has sort of come and gone.  The dewalt 682 was a good one.

bdp24

« Reply #31 on: 25 Feb 2013, 12:04 pm »
Thanks for the tip, I'll do just that.

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #32 on: 25 Feb 2013, 02:56 pm »
Hi - I've been building speakers for 15 years and always use butt joints with suffiecient carpenter's glue.  I have never used, nor needed:
Miter joints (I did buy a lock miter router bit as pictured above, but didn't work well on MDF)
Biscuit joints
Dowels
The pocket hole joinery method as illustrated in srb's post above
Screws
Nails (but for large cabinets, I do have a brad nailer that I use to hold panels in position while I apply clamps
This has worked for me for cabinets from small 4" driver cabinets up to Danny's Alpha LS towers that I built for him.
Accurate 90-degree panel cuts, carpenters glue and plenty of clamps will make for a sufficiently strong cabinet.
Hope that helps

TomS

« Reply #33 on: 25 Feb 2013, 03:06 pm »
C'mon go "Hi Fi" get the Festool Domino  :jester:
I love my Festool Domino and have built several subs with it just for practice. It works great!

bdp24

« Reply #34 on: 25 Feb 2013, 04:16 pm »
Thanks Hank. The little shop I worked in for awhile had dozens of Jorgensen clamps, and we glued and clamped everything, somtimes also using biscuits---but no hardware. We made designer high-end furniture for rich folks in LA (there's a lot of them), all solid hardwood/no veneering. I learned to spread on Titebond II thinly and evenly with a small paint brush, clamp, and then clean off the squeeze out with a barely damp sponge before the glue dried. Having to sand glue off of beautiful pieces of wood after it has dried is no fun (and a giant waste of time when you're getting paid by the hour!). Another guy did all the staining and finishing, but I did the sanding (my introduction to the Dewalt 421 ROS) in preparation for him. I've put together Barzilay audio cabinets and then stained and finished them, but those were kits. Building from scratch now is going to test my limited abilities, which is why I have 1- read and looked at as many other's work as possible, 2- then attempted to find someone else to do it (!), and 3- find flat packs whose design I agree with. I bought a whole bunch of 6", 12", 18", 24", 30", and 36" Pittsburg clamps on sale at Harbor Freight (which I found out about on these forums). They don't look too bad, and as long as they last long enough to build a few cabs, I'll be satisfied. They sure were cheap (I mean, inexpensive)!
« Last Edit: 25 Feb 2013, 09:00 pm by bdp24 »

sl_1800

« Reply #35 on: 25 Feb 2013, 04:43 pm »
I love my Festool Domino and have built several subs with it just for practice. It works great!

I am a Domino fan also.

fishboat

« Reply #36 on: 25 Feb 2013, 05:43 pm »
The Domino is a nice tool no doubt, but at around $1K... that's one tool (in my shop at least) that that would literally need to earn it's keep. Since my work is for free..no Domino for me.   :)

To the OP..you mentioned you're doing painted cabs, then a miter isn't required.  A straight miter (no spline, locking, or backing glue block) would be a weak joint anyway.  Build something square, accurate, & strong, cover the joints with auto glazing putty (discussed here recently), sand, paint away..

bdp24

« Reply #37 on: 25 Feb 2013, 06:05 pm »
Thanks FB. Because of the design of my boxes, fancy corners won't be necessary. I was asking more out of curiosity, and I believe I now know! However, from my reading, it seems like hiding the seams (damn) is one of the hardest thing to do when building boxes. My design is a box within a box, so the inner box corners won't even show. Having the inner box to then attach the outer box to will make building the outer one much easier than if it were a single box. I will still have to see to covering the seamline at the intersection of the top and the two sides, but I have two cans of wood filler putty (Famowood and Fix), and know how to mix MDF sawdust with wood glue to do fill-ins. The more I've learned from other's work, the more I've come to think that, hey, I can do it too. Thanks, ya'll!

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #38 on: 25 Feb 2013, 06:20 pm »
A biscuit joiner is a convenience not a necessity. I found it easier to assemble boxes using a minimum of clamps because the biscuits help line up the sides instead of fumbling around with butt joints made slippery because of the uncured wood glue. A brad nailer will do the job too but it's still not as easy as with biscuits.

Here's an inexpensive biscuit joiner, $70, which has received good reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/ELECTRIC-BISCUIT-JOINER-ADJUSTABLE-JOINTER/dp/B001O4CMUM/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

fishboat

« Reply #39 on: 25 Feb 2013, 06:21 pm »
bdp..this was from a couple weeks back:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=112813.0