Danny Richie

Re: ESL and 8" Servo Subs
« Reply #40 on: 17 Nov 2012, 06:35 pm »
Hey Kim, Where are you located?

wgallupe

« Reply #41 on: 17 Nov 2012, 07:28 pm »
JP

The MMG panel measures 3/4" thick by 14" wide without the edge trim pieces. Due to WAF reasons, I need to end up with a look like option 2 in the first post. To do that, you would have to keep your box width the same. I would then have you or someone locally make some pretty looking curved side panels like option 2. With two 8" drivers, that's going to be a problem  :roll:

What if the drivers were positioned diagonally to maintain the 14" width? The sub box would have to be taller but maybe not so much??? BTW, it looks like I could rip 4" off the bottom of the   MMG panel to compensate for the added height of the 14" wide box. Your thoughts??? 

HT cOz

« Reply #42 on: 17 Nov 2012, 07:38 pm »
Kim in in Texas, I think Dallas. 

Here is a cool thread to understand what goes into a build of the monster full range speakers http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26075&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=260  Naturally the hybrid/servo speaker envisioned here  has a lot smaller footprint and should be easier to build.  Hybrids were somewhat of a compromise because the speed of panel is hard to match with a cone woofer.  However, when looking at servo woofers in OB they are super fast and because of the servo technology they play flat to 20hz.  A speaker of this small size and full range capabilities were not possible until Danny came out with these 8" servo drivers.  I think these things are like peanut butter and jelly, made to go together!  :thumb:

Wgallupe I don't think building them and shipping would be a problem.  Speakers are shipped around the world it is just a matter of building the correct shipping container and contracting a shipping company to deliver them. 

persisting1

« Reply #43 on: 17 Nov 2012, 11:48 pm »
One thing to keep in mind that Kim's Crescendo pannels can be tailor fit for this application.   He might even be open to building a 200hz and up panel that you can then build your own open pannel H frame woofer box basses and attach the stator as you see fit.

No doubt the Crescendo panels will be better than the mini for your application.

jparkhur

« Reply #44 on: 18 Nov 2012, 03:55 pm »
W,

Just so everyone is on the same page, some of you are getting away for it.  This is proof of concept stuff, lets see it work and see how it fits.  I am just offering up my free services to build one W frame 8 inch servo box (per side) after Danny sends you the stuff.  I don't need anyone to send me anything.  This is going to be a jumping off point as in 3/4 MDF sprayed satin black to see how things go.  This is not a statement project (super 7).  After we see if it works and looks good, we can go from there.  The possibilities are endless I can see, but woooo there big daddy.   Its a capitalistic view... build one, make it work and then see how many others want to try it.  It is a simple DIY too.   

JP

jparkhur

« Reply #45 on: 18 Nov 2012, 03:56 pm »
JP

The MMG panel measures 3/4" thick by 14" wide without the edge trim pieces. Due to WAF reasons, I need to end up with a look like option 2 in the first post. To do that, you would have to keep your box width the same. I would then have you or someone locally make some pretty looking curved side panels like option 2. With two 8" drivers, that's going to be a problem  :roll:

I don't want to do anything chopping to your panel.  Lets just make a box to let it sit on top and then we can go from there.  As old as they are, if everything works as planned, then you may just want to buy new panels (mmg or other) then start a statement project.

JP

What if the drivers were positioned diagonally to maintain the 14" width? The sub box would have to be taller but maybe not so much??? BTW, it looks like I could rip 4" off the bottom of the   MMG panel to compensate for the added height of the 14" wide box. Your thoughts??? 

wgallupe

« Reply #46 on: 18 Nov 2012, 08:38 pm »
JP

OK, understood. Danny said the new amps won't be available until after the first of the year so l'll wait until all parts are in. In the meantime, I'll do some homework...

Wayne   

beun

• Industry Participant
« Reply #47 on: 19 Nov 2012, 05:09 am »
Danny,

I am indeed in the Dallas area, Richardson to be exact.

Kim

Danny Richie

« Reply #48 on: 19 Nov 2012, 03:08 pm »
Danny,

I am indeed in the Dallas area, Richardson to be exact.

Kim

Okay, we are just a couple of hours apart.

Erpeder

« Reply #49 on: 22 Nov 2012, 12:35 pm »
The woofers just need to be in a H frame just deep enough to cover the depth of the magnets. And it is pretty important that the sides be fairly thick and solid. So the curved sides as drawn would be good to go over the outside of a complete H frame to help keep it solid.

On the Super-V there is a black four sided box on the back side of the driver only. Then the thicker (1.25" thick) side panels finish out the front half of the top box and the back half of the lower box. This was done to keep the width of the box down.

Hi guys.
I have the V1 basses in a W baffel. Soon I will make a H- baffel to the subunit. The midrange and twetter is a ribbon/ plannar unit crosses about 200Hz to the bassunits.

My question: If I make the H-baffel as the V1 how mush vibrations goes to the ribbon if this is monted only to the sidepannels.

Will it be better to make a normal H-baffel in 1.73” MDF. with a bracing between the to woofers.   

What about to make a sandkabinet: sides, top an bottom 0.6” mdf. 0.79” sand, 0.6” mdf.

Thanks.

navin

« Reply #50 on: 22 Nov 2012, 04:04 pm »
You could take a MMG and sandwich it in between to vertical rails, attach to the lover servo woofers... Ummmmm   Yummy........  The image may be off, too high.. only one twelve would work better instead of two..  two 8's would be similar...  still very yummy.

JP

Wow this brings back memories. We added a bass system using 2 8" 21w8554 woofers below the SMGa. This was before plate amps so we used a pair of Carver M400 and an active crossover at 120hz. Each M400 drove one channel.

Sadly the SMGa's image sweet spot was pretty small so eventually we replaced this speaker with Klipsch's Chorus II.

Today Martin Logan's Electromotion looks pretty similar.
http://www.martinlogan.com/electromotion/em-esl.php
« Last Edit: 23 Nov 2012, 04:51 am by navin »

Erpeder

« Reply #51 on: 27 Nov 2012, 08:11 am »

Hi guys.
I have the V1 basses in a W baffel. Soon I will make a H- baffel to the subunit. The midrange and twetter is a ribbon/ plannar unit crosses about 200Hz to the bassunits.

My question: If I make the H-baffel as the V1 how mush vibrations goes to the ribbon if this is monted only to the sidepannels.

Will it be better to make a normal H-baffel in 1.73” MDF. with a bracing between the to woofers.   

What about to make a sandkabinet: sides, top an bottom 0.6” mdf. 0.79” sand, 0.6” mdf.

Thanks.

Well I try again. My design is very close to Serenity Acoustics, but what about the vibrations from the the GR woofers?

Danny Richie

« Reply #52 on: 27 Nov 2012, 03:09 pm »
Well I try again. My design is very close to Serenity Acoustics, but what about the vibrations from the the GR woofers?

It is very difficult to say how much vibration you will have from the H frame. It is all in how you build it. Thick side walls go a long way. Built like the Super-V's that we have made the side wall vibrations are pretty minimum.

Erpeder

« Reply #53 on: 27 Nov 2012, 03:44 pm »
It is very difficult to say how much vibration you will have from the H frame. It is all in how you build it. Thick side walls go a long way. Built like the Super-V's that we have made the side wall vibrations are pretty minimum.

Thanks Danny.

How thick have you made the inner cabinet in the Super-V. my idea is 22mm. MDF. side panel 44mm. MDF. The woofer baffle 44mm MDF.

Do you think it will take vibrations, so they dont goes to the ribbon/planer unit.

Danny Richie

« Reply #54 on: 27 Nov 2012, 06:13 pm »
Thanks Danny.

How thick have you made the inner cabinet in the Super-V. my idea is 22mm. MDF. side panel 44mm. MDF. The woofer baffle 44mm MDF.

Do you think it will take vibrations, so they dont goes to the ribbon/planer unit.

The panels that make up the rear box of each woofer is only 3/4" thick. This is to help keep the baffle width down on the driver above. I can get away with this pretty well as the side panels that are 1.25" thick also partially cover and mass load those panels. They also get lined with No Rez.

Erpeder

« Reply #55 on: 27 Nov 2012, 07:25 pm »
The panels that make up the rear box of each woofer is only 3/4" thick. This is to help keep the baffle width down on the driver above. I can get away with this pretty well as the side panels that are 1.25" thick also partially cover and mass load those panels. They also get lined with No Rez.

Ok, that a little bit thinner rear box and panels. For me it is okay with a wide baffle, then I use 29,55" tall planer unit for mid and high frequents down to 200Hz. before the unit roll off.  The construction will be very close to Serenity Acoustics.