Modified cabinet for on-wall applications...

nrenter

Modified cabinet for on-wall applications...
« on: 1 Nov 2012, 11:40 pm »
How thin could you make a N3S for an on-wall application? Anyone tried something like this before?

Danny Richie

Re: Modified cabinet for on-wall applications...
« Reply #1 on: 2 Nov 2012, 02:06 pm »
How thin could you make a N3S for an on-wall application? Anyone tried something like this before?

Ideally the cabinet deep needs to exceed the width of the cabinet. And as the cabinet depth shrinks and gets pushed near a wall then the crossover must be redesigned to compensate for the gain from the wall.

I do have an on wall design that is very effective and the sound field it projects exceeds the boundaries of the walls and room in regards to projected space and distance. Maybe it will work for your application?

nrenter

« Reply #2 on: 2 Nov 2012, 02:16 pm »
Thanks, Danny. I'm trying to plan a home theater setup and, quite frankly, don't have the floor space to dedicate to floor-standing L / C / R speakers (hence my questions a couple months back about modifying the N2X or N3S for an in-wall application). I'm considering the Dali Mentor LCR (x5 or x7) as an on-wall solution, but would like to consider a Neo-based option.

I kinda envision the cabinets being thin, but very long (mounted using z-clips), and supplemented by a pair of Rythmik subs.

Danny Richie

« Reply #3 on: 2 Nov 2012, 02:24 pm »
Have you seen the A/V-1RS?

nrenter

« Reply #4 on: 2 Nov 2012, 04:56 pm »
I hadn't considered them for L / C / R applications. Surrounds? Yes. But not for Left-Front / Center / Right-Front.

Have you experienced the A/V-1RS in an up-firing Left-Front / Center / Right-Front configuration?

Danny Richie

« Reply #5 on: 2 Nov 2012, 05:12 pm »
I hadn't considered them for L / C / R applications. Surrounds? Yes. But not for Left-Front / Center / Right-Front.

Have you experienced the A/V-1RS in an up-firing Left-Front / Center / Right-Front configuration?

I do have customers using them as left and right mains in small room applications.

It is better to use a direct radiating speaker for the center channel to anchor the vocals to the screen position.

nrenter

« Reply #6 on: 2 Nov 2012, 05:35 pm »
It is better to use a direct radiating speaker for the center channel to anchor the vocals to the screen position.

...and we're back to my original challenge.

Danny Richie

« Reply #7 on: 2 Nov 2012, 05:42 pm »
...and we're back to my original challenge.

As a center channel you would have to stick with the standard N3S box and place it near but not right on the wall.

I did recently design a very shallow center channel speaker for Virtue Audio. Sounds good and is very inexpensive. Check it out here: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=110103.0

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #8 on: 2 Nov 2012, 05:53 pm »
I have used the N3s for tv and movies without a center and found them very, very good.