Getting the best sound from Oppo player

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
Getting the best sound from Oppo player
« on: 21 Sep 2006, 01:57 am »
The Oppo Digital universal player's default factory setting does not maximize the audio performance.
The factory default setting of the HDMI audio source is set to “Multi-channel" which uses the internal DSP. When playing a redbook (i.e. audio) CD, the output is no longer the original as recorded in the CD tracks. This default setting makes it the most compatible and most likely to produce reasonable audio quality with TV’s speakers as configured by most consumers.

To determine if the DSP may be corrupting your digital audio, try to vary the volume control on the Oppo remote. If the volume changes, then you know the audio is being processed.

Please go to "Setup" and configure the Oppo player:

“HDMI Audio” set to “SPDIF” and “SPDIF Output” set to “Raw”.

When playing back using Oppo's analog output go to "Setup" and configure the audio speaker sub-menu:
(1) use Front Right/Left output
(2) Speaker settings: Front and Right speakers set to ‘Large’ (Center, Subwoofer, and Surrounds set to ‘Off’ of course).

timothyharnett

Re: Getting the best sound from Oppo player
« Reply #1 on: 23 Sep 2006, 07:13 pm »
That was a good post.

Levi

« Reply #2 on: 24 Sep 2006, 02:08 pm »
Thanks Jason.  That was helpful. 

I have the 971H.  What is the best audio setting when watching movie using preamp processor. 

robert44

« Reply #3 on: 24 Sep 2006, 03:45 pm »
jason, i want to nail down one more time the setup positions for optimum 2-channel output from the oppo-hd universal player which i purchased a few months ago..i really like it...i am using the analog left/right front plugged into my preamp running the ref. 9 nuforce units....i followed your advice about setting the hdmi to spdif and the spdif to raw..There is an 'off' option on the audio setup for hdmi also....(or does  this just make a difference with digital out of the player?)....I repeat, i am using analog out only...i have set the speaker setting mixdown to left/right....(and not stereo)....anyway....i am unable to bypass the volume control on the player remote so i can do the least amount of processing....can you first tell me what spdif means? what does raw mean?.....i noticed that whenever i followed your advice with these settings, it automatically defaulted the sample rate to 48khz and i wasn't able to adjust it to 192khz....maybe  48khz is best anyway...i am not sure..the volume control still worked on the remote (which like i said would like to bypass)...i am interested in redbook since i just have relatively few sacd discs...can we go over this one more time..? thanks, robert.

kbuzz3

« Reply #4 on: 25 Sep 2006, 12:47 am »
interesting...does this apply only to analog output or for use with dacs as well...

Bemopti123

« Reply #5 on: 25 Sep 2006, 01:05 am »
interesting...does this apply only to analog output or for use with dacs as well...

I was about to ask the same question. 

stingfan

« Reply #6 on: 25 Sep 2006, 06:28 am »

I can chime in here as I have quite a bit of experience with the Oppo in this regard.  First I can confirm that this applies to the digital out as well.  First you may not be able to 'bypass' volume control and thus the Oppo signal adjustments via the analog outputs.  Jason was referring to digital output configuration, which is SPDIF -- the digital audio output protocol.  For analog, you just want to 'minimize' the signal mods made by the Oppo using the last 2 suggestions from Jason, but likely not eliminating all mods to the original signal.  You get great sound out the analog this way, trust me.  I run my SACD's through these analog outputs, and it sounds great.  More on digital output configurations I experimented with below, with my outboard DAC:

The "PCM" output is a form a direct digital output that will go out through the Toslink and the Coax digital out on the 970HD.  In the audio setup section of the on-screen Oppo config, you will see this.  PCM 192 is the highest setting.  According to Oppo if you set it here, it will automatically downsample, to the lower sampling rates until it gets a signal lock at the highest available sample.  But by going "RAW" you effectively disable this feature, as this will send true un-touched digital stream to the digital output.  I have this digital out going straight to an external CIAudio DAC-2 in this regard.  So in summary, yes it applies to the digital outs as well.   In fact, if you have digital output set to PCM instead of RAW, then regardless of what other settings you have adjusted or turned off, your signal is being processed by the Oppo, it is not the original digital signal.  You can find the RAW setting value in the

When playing SACD's I found that I had to use the analog front L/R outputs because the DAC doesn't convert the signal.  According to Oppo, it converts the DSD signal to PCM then to analog.  I could not get the PCM digital signal through digital out to my DAC, so I actually have two sets of outputs simulatenously connected out of the Oppo, one analog set, and one coax digital (spdif)

This works fine.  I just switch to a different input on my P-8 to listen to SACD's and DVD's and another for listening to redbook via my outboard DAC.  Its a nice way to go, to avoid cable swapping all the time.

I turn HDMI audio OFF because most of my listening is 2-channel, through my outboard DAC.  I don't see the point of sending PCM audio down the HDMI cable to my HDTV only to route it back again through the DAC.

Most stereo DACs don't convert home theater 5.1 surround sound / Dolby DTS raw digital signals either.  So its best to separate your 2-channel audio stream from your DVD HDMI if 2-channel audio optimization is your goal.  So what this means is, you can't route a RAW digital signal  from a standard DVD to a stereo DAC.  It won't know what to do with the signal.  I've tried it. 

I should now preface that I am not a big surround sound person, I'm a 2-channel purist.  I do not use a surround sound decoder, or any of that.  That is why audio over HDMI is not necessary for me. I use HDMI only for the video signal, for watching DVDs.  I route the audio from the DVD straight out the analog L/R front to my P-8.   Therefore I leave HDMI audio set to OFF.  If you left it on, then essentially are saying "send the digital audio signal to the TV, and then the TV will convert it to analog.  I'd prefer to rely on the Oppo DAC in that case, versus an HDTV's audio DAC for 2-channel purposes only of course.

So in summary for 2-channel systems:

redbook CDs:

Use digital out, set SPDIF to RAW on Oppo 970HD
Coax is my preference output to an external DAC

If you don't have an external DAC in 2-channel then use front L/R (not mixed)  all other speaker channels off.

SACD:  ditto, via analog outputs

DVD w/ 2channel audio:  HDMI for video, and audio out via analog outputs used for SACD for convenience of setup.  [ Alternatively you can enable PCM 192 for this setup and get digital output to an external DAC, but its a pain to keep changing this Oppo config just to play a DVD, I like the analog outs for DVD in 2-channel, Oppo does a fine job there ]

DVD w/ surround sound systems:  Use HDMI for video and audio with your surround decoder/receiver.

Ok, back to my SACD listening session!

nuforce-casey

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 26 Sep 2006, 08:30 pm »
jason, i want to nail down one more time the setup positions for optimum 2-channel output from the oppo-hd universal player which i purchased a few months ago..i really like it...i am using the analog left/right front plugged into my preamp running the ref. 9 nuforce units....i followed your advice about setting the hdmi to spdif and the spdif to raw..There is an 'off' option on the audio setup for hdmi also....(or does  this just make a difference with digital out of the player?)....

The digital setup is only applicable to the digital output, no effect to the analog out.

I repeat, i am using analog out only...i have set the speaker setting mixdown to left/right....(and not stereo)....anyway....i am unable to bypass the volume control on the player remote so i can do the least amount of processing....

Not possible to bypass the built-in digital volume control, just maximize the volume using the remote.

can you first tell me what spdif means? what does raw mean?.....i noticed that whenever i followed your advice with these settings, it automatically defaulted the sample rate to 48khz and i wasn't able to adjust it to 192khz....maybe  48khz is best anyway...i am not sure..the volume control still worked on the remote (which like i said would like to bypass)...i am interested in redbook since i just have relatively few sacd discs...can we go over this one more time..? thanks, robert.

RAW = means the digital output will pass raw digital data on the discs, be it PCM or Dolby Digital as the material calls for.   Setting to 'PCM' means to force the digital output into a particular PCM mode via Oppo's internal processing.  For widest compatibility, leave it at RAW.  When HDMI audio is set to 'ON', the maximum sample rate is limited to 48Khz, but if you set HDMI audio to 'off', then the digital output can go up to 192Khz.   Again, the above only applies to digital output.

Levi

« Reply #8 on: 27 Sep 2006, 01:21 am »
Excellent!

Thanks to R.J. and to Casey for the clarification. :thumb:

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #9 on: 29 Sep 2006, 02:03 am »
Additional comment from Oppo tech people:

There are two digital audio bus in the player: SPDIF and I2S.  The DAC is attached to the I2S bus and the HDMI TX is attached to both.  In theory the HDMI audio setting should not affect the analog audio quality.  If the HDMI TX detects that the receiving device cannot handle certain sample rate, the down-sampling is done within the HDMI TX chip, so the DAC is not affected.

Setting HDMI audio to OFF will totally eliminate the possibility of HDMI affecting analog, so there might be some merit to it.  Setting LPCM rate to 192k should not matter since it only affects the SPDIF bus, which is not attached to the DAC.

timothyharnett

« Reply #10 on: 6 Nov 2006, 01:19 am »
http://www.tnt-audio.com/sorgenti/oppo_dv970_e.html

I note that TNT reviewed it referencing Jason's setup comments. It's quite an interesting review  but it sounded like the reviewers taste didn't match the player.   The reviewer also (I suspect) did not experiment with power cords.

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #11 on: 8 Nov 2006, 11:32 am »
We highly recommend the Oppo 970HD player with IA-7 as an entry level audiophile set. Can't go wrong with that for the money.

domho

« Reply #12 on: 27 Nov 2006, 12:31 pm »
The Oppo Digital universal player's default factory setting does not maximize the audio performance.
The factory default setting of the HDMI audio source is set to “Multi-channel" which uses the internal DSP. When playing a redbook (i.e. audio) CD, the output is no longer the original as recorded in the CD tracks. This default setting makes it the most compatible and most likely to produce reasonable audio quality with TV’s speakers as configured by most consumers.

To determine if the DSP may be corrupting your digital audio, try to vary the volume control on the Oppo remote. If the volume changes, then you know the audio is being processed.

Please go to "Setup" and configure the Oppo player:

“HDMI Audio” set to “SPDIF” and “SPDIF Output” set to “Raw”.

When playing back using Oppo's analog output go to "Setup" and configure the audio speaker sub-menu:
(1) use Front Right/Left output
(2) Speaker settings: Front and Right speakers set to ‘Large’ (Center, Subwoofer, and Surrounds set to ‘Off’ of course).

Hi Jason

Greetings.

I encounter this problem when I go to HDMI Audio, I only see 'Auto', 'LPCM and 'OFF'.
Would appreciate if you enlighten me what I should do. Thanks.  :D

nuforce-casey

• Industry Participant
« Reply #13 on: 28 Nov 2006, 04:17 am »
Set HDMI Audio = Off if you are not using an HDMI receiver.

boniccie

« Reply #14 on: 1 Jan 2007, 01:36 pm »
Did by any chance anybody compared the analogue output for the new 981hd to the 970hd for cd redbook quality?
Dan

Midnite Mick

« Reply #15 on: 1 Jan 2007, 05:42 pm »
According to Oppo, it converts the DSD signal to PCM then to analog.  I could not get the PCM digital signal through digital out to my DAC, so I actually have two sets of outputs simulatenously connected out of the Oppo, one analog set, and one coax digital (spdif)    (copied and pasted)

_______________________________________ _____________________________

I am not sure I understand this but if it converts the DSD to PCM then to analog for SACD's would there be any difference if you were to send the signal out via PCM to the surround processor, thus letting the internal DAC's of the processor do the conversion.  My understanding is that the Oppo 970 isn't a true SACD player as it converts the DSD signal.  I am just wondering if it is then worth it to acquire 6 more analog cables.

Mike

jlafort

« Reply #16 on: 1 Jan 2007, 06:07 pm »
The TNT review nails the sound that I also hear from the Oppo. You're better off getting a used MSB Daclink III with upsampling card for roughly the same price (assuming you have a transport available). Much better.

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #17 on: 6 Jan 2007, 09:36 am »
Did by any chance anybody compared the analogue output for the new 981hd to the 970hd for cd redbook quality?
If you don't care about the 1080p, 970HD has better 2 channel anlalog output.

sac8d4

« Reply #18 on: 7 Jun 2007, 08:24 pm »
I thought i might throw my 2 cents in here on the oppo digital players. On the DV-970HD you can actually disable the player's video function by the Audio Only function on the remote. :icon_surprised: which may or may not give you better sound...I was informed that on the DV-981HD does not have this functionality due to the inability tobypass the Faroudja chipset through the HDMI interface :(

Toka

« Reply #19 on: 7 Jun 2007, 09:06 pm »
I have a '970 on its way to me...I will be using it for both audio and video playback (via analog outs), and I wanted to know if the suggested idea of not using the 'mixed' outputs (and setting L/R to large, everything else off) will give me the appropriate mix for 5.1 encoded DVDs...meaning, will audio intended for a center channel be missing if I go this route? Or will it be folded down to 2.0 even if I don't use the 'mixed' outputs?