RM40 setup

summy670x

RM40 setup
« on: 30 Sep 2020, 04:03 pm »
Hi all, trying to help my dad setup his speakers, and his RM40s are a bit different than mine.  I'm a touch confused after reading through some of the very helpful config setups listed here, and need some advice.  My RM40s only have two binding posts, and are currently being used single amp setup (switch down) and i've been happy with this.  His appears to have one of the OXO configs, but he doesn't have any outboard xover with his speakers..

Does he need the VMPS oxo (i've looked, and seen what it looks like, it wasn't included when he got these)?

Is there a recommended way to wire this?

Pics below for reference, please let me know if you need any other info or pics, and thanks for any help!

GeorgeAb

Re: RM40 setup
« Reply #1 on: 30 Sep 2020, 06:59 pm »
You need to verify what you have and DO NOT connect amplifier to upper tweeter terminals until you have verified.  If you do the ribbons will be fried. Not the end of the world, but you will have to remove tweeters and replace the ribbons. 

I would start by hooking them up just like they are pictured.  Power up and apply low level input (low volume).  You can run bass and mids at low level without a crossover without damaging.  Then listen to see if you have any sound out of the tweeters.  If you do, they still have the internal crossover connected, and you should be good to go.  If not, you will either need to reconnect the internal crossover (if there) or build an external crossover. 

If you need to build a crossover let us know; as we should be able to reverse engineer and provide schematic.  If you need to reconnect (as they were later configured for external XO), just look at the RM-30 schematic I posted or the RM-V60 external crossover Shaukaut posted as it will the be same just different component values.  Remove wires from terminals and reconnect to proper positions on XO.

Good luck, and let us know what happens.

summy670x

« Reply #2 on: 30 Sep 2020, 08:05 pm »
Really appreciate the reply, and makes sense.

So connect an amp at low volume to the lowest binding, and if there's sound out of the tweeters, the internal x-over is still connected and we're good to go?  If not, back to the drawing board and building something to make it work.  Is that all correct?  Thanks!

Jstower

« Reply #3 on: 30 Sep 2020, 08:50 pm »
Welcome to AC summy670x.  Not to sure where you looked for the crossover. The best way is to remove the base and the passive radiator to verify what is hooked to the binding post. My best guess is
 Bottom set of binding post are mids and tweeter 
 Middle set of binding post are bass drivers with crossover
 Top set of binding post Bass drivers no crossover

If you’re going to use a single amplifier just hook to the bottom set of binding post, with the jumpers left as pictured.
I guess you don’t need to check inside just look at the link
         link:  https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=149756.0

Good luck

summy670x

« Reply #4 on: 30 Sep 2020, 10:05 pm »
Wow, well look at that serial number.. lol   Thank you for this!  I'll let you all know how it turns out, thanks again :)

GeorgeAb

« Reply #5 on: 1 Oct 2020, 12:39 am »
Glad you got it sorted.  Your dad has some really nice speakers.

Just for information, my RM-40's have three binding posts and the top post is wired directly to tweeter, no internal XO.  Another tell you have internal XO is you have the tweeter and mid-range adjustment pots.