the Open

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
the Open
« on: 19 Jul 2024, 04:55 am »
That time again, wind, rain, gorse, pot bunkers, the whole kit & kabootle. Almost forgot about it after a month of waiting since the US Open. Had searched for free streaming options a couple of times without success, was considering a 30 day free trial on Peacock to access it, then just now Eureka ! Seems the R&A is taking a page from the Masters book and doing their own streaming service. You do have to sign up with them, but it's minimal info, and as best I can tell it's free streaming of several R&A tournaments along numerous other benefits (mostly for our European friends).

If interested here's a link to the R&A's One Club website where you can sign up https://oneclub.golf/  Joining give you access to R&A TV which is the streaming service. I'll find out how it all works about 1:30 AM tomorrow when I sign in to watch live.

A friend with the Golf Channel watched some today, said it was pretty brutal with wind & rain. Seems the US players aren't fairing well for the most part. Leader at -6, Daniel Brown whom I'm not familiar with, next at -5 is Shane Lowry. Given his history he should give all a good run for the money. Justin Thomas is in at -3, Xander and a number of others at -2. Don't think Rory has recovered from his US Open meltdown quite yet. Played OK last week in the Scottish Open, but his putting is gone again for the time being. It'll be a struggle for him to make the cut at +7 now. The leaders will likely need to back up some to get him in, or he'll need to play lights out (cut is low 70 & ties). Tiger in at +8, I'm sure the conditions are making things all the worse for him. Anyway if you're interested in the leader board here's a link to that  https://www.theopen.com/leaderboard

So gents, and ladies, your thoughts, predictions, favorites. Swing easy, keep the ball low out of the wind, and in the fairway. May we all putt for dough, and drive for show.

ArthurDent

Re: the Open
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jul 2024, 07:45 am »
For info, it works. The "Postage Stamp", notable 8th hole at Royal Troon coverage has begun. Interesting that the Leader Board notes Bryson was "ejected", but so far no info that I can find on what or why.

Coverage is by 'Featured Groups', morning & afternoon. As well as the par 3 8th through the field I guess. Initially wondered why unlike the Masters coverage there were no groups of holes coverage. It then occurred to me the Masters is played on the same course yearly, so the infrastructure for coverage of those holes is always in place awaiting use. With the Open, the tournament rotates from course to course making it much more economically challenging to try and accomplish the same goal.

Anyway, hope anyone interested in watching is able to access it via the info provided. Going to be a late night/early morning. Oh yes, not sure yet if I'm actually getting a live feed or delayed signal. The published coverage times are supposed to be Eastern Daylight, which would mean 3 hrs earlier at my location, but appears the 'times' are the same. The first featured group is due for coverage at 1:30 AM.

Enjoy.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #2 on: 19 Jul 2024, 09:49 am »
On Peacock, which I subscribe to anyway, has both featured group and selected hole coverage on sometime before 5:30am when I awoke.  Nice thing about retirement, I set an alarm maybe twice a year.  And the conditions this morning are as mild as it could possibly be, no wind, no rain, soft greens.  That will certain change soon, it's Scotland.  I no longer watch any PGA event because of their alignment with LIV golf for political reasons that can't be discussed here, so I really look forward to the Masters, the US Open and The Open which are not run by the PGA.  I think Rory's meltdown at the final putt may have broke him, at least for this year.  I still remember a short putt on 18 that I missed many years ago in front of my Dad the last time he ever watched me play before he passed away.  Rory's biggest problem has always been between his ears.  Tiger really needs to retire from competitive golf, but he's always been full of hubris.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #3 on: 19 Jul 2024, 02:57 pm »
Someone should tell the cameramen that their very expensive cameras have zoom lens. The cameras seem to be stuck on the wide-angle setting.

BobM

« Reply #4 on: 19 Jul 2024, 07:38 pm »
Both Bryson and Rory didn't make the cut today. Maybe that's what they mean by "ejected".

ArthurDent

« Reply #5 on: 19 Jul 2024, 08:24 pm »
Definitely a weird notation, as at that time it was the round 1 leader board, and round 2 hadn't started. Can only guess it was a mis-post by someone which was changed later , as he obviously played round 2.  Poorly, as did Rory.

Looks like the home court guys have the edge, Lowry, Brown, Rose. It's certainly not a done deal though, Scottie's moved into position with along Billie Horschel  and some others. Having watched Joaquin Niemann go from -1 to +7 on the 120 yard "Postage Stamp" 8th par 3, depending on conditions it's still anybody's tournament. 

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #6 on: 22 Jul 2024, 10:49 am »
I didn't get to watch the last day of the Open because I was at a hospital an hour and a half away meeting my new grandson Callen.  Got home in time for the after show and learned Xander Shaufflee had won going away.  A fine champion winning his second major championship and making it a sweep for Americans in the majors this year.  Something that hasn't happened since 1982.

oskar

« Reply #7 on: 22 Jul 2024, 02:14 pm »
Excellent finish. I had my money on Xander at the turn. 4 birdies no boggies on the back!
Great win for him.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #8 on: 22 Jul 2024, 02:30 pm »
The Open is the only men's golf event I'd watch, too much money in the rest.  I watch women's golf, they play like the rest of us should.

ArthurDent

« Reply #9 on: 23 Jul 2024, 08:36 am »
Congrats on the new family addition Let.  8) 

It was a great tournament, lots of ups & downs. A most challenging course given it's simplicity, but the subtleties can bite quickly. The weather was a big factor on days 2 & 3, much less so the final day. Congratulations to Xander, well played sir. Fairways & greens, the key factor with Links style regardless of conditions. An amazing score Sunday all things considered.  Congrats to Billy Horschel & Justin Rose, as well. A well played tournament by both, just that little bit short.

So now I'll know next year where I can go on Thurs & Fri to watch free streaming of the Open, it's so much nicer in HD which Crumcast doesn't give me on the network re-broadcast (unless I pay some ridiculous amount for it). Wishing all a great summer & low scores on the card.