Blade Runner 2049

rockadanny

Re: Blade Runner 2049
« Reply #40 on: 17 Oct 2017, 06:46 pm »
I really enjoyed 2049. I am in awe of it. Visually stunning and moving. Perfect sound track, very well integrated into the film. Atmospherically captivating. (A must see on the big screen, for sure.) Deliciously slow-paced. I even enjoyed the story as it delectably unfolded and ended so wonderfully. IMO this is far more than just a good/great sci-fi flick - it transcends the genre. It is one of the best films I've ever seen.

wushuliu

« Reply #41 on: 17 Oct 2017, 07:10 pm »
And for anyone who has NOT seen the director's previous films, Sicario, and Arrival, I suggest you do so...

mgsboedmisodpc2

« Reply #42 on: 17 Oct 2017, 11:15 pm »
for sure a movie for the Male sex..during the scene below which WGH captured the field of female erotic giants young teens of high school age made sounds of dislike upon seeing those two gals statues

wushuliu

« Reply #43 on: 17 Oct 2017, 11:24 pm »
for sure a movie for the Male sex..during the scene below which WGH captured the field of female erotic giants young teens of high school age made sounds of dislike upon seeing those two gals statues

That's because the film is making a pretty strong commentary on gender, but it's a little too subtle for these times. Again, like the original, it will take time before 2049 gets the same level of appreciation. And the statues are straight up Kubrick/Clockwork Orange - itself a dystopian future classic dealing with some interesting questions.

WGH

« Reply #44 on: 18 Oct 2017, 01:42 am »
And for anyone who has NOT seen the director's previous films, Sicario, and Arrival, I suggest you do so...

I agree, just watched Incendies directed by Denis Villeneuve. The film is totally captivating with excellent character development and a simple but oh so complex story. There is no graphic violence which make the emotional scenes even more devastating. The only reason this film doesn't get mentioned more is because it is in French with English subtitles.  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/incendies

Next on my list: Enemy starring Jake Gyllenhaal with Isabella Rossellini

mgsboedmisodpc2

« Reply #45 on: 18 Oct 2017, 03:58 am »
Wow WGH the "Blade Runner 2049 Sample" was a bit over powering and I have yet to play it loudly

mgsboedmisodpc2

« Reply #46 on: 23 Oct 2017, 08:08 pm »
Just saw Blade Runner 2049 in IMAX...But I made the mistake of going to one of the smaller "30 feet high and 64 feet wide" IMAX theater in NYC.  So I may see it again on the Largest "80 feet high and 100 feet wide" IMAX theater. But the sound was very loud and very quiet.

THROWBACK

« Reply #47 on: 23 Oct 2017, 09:56 pm »
I'm happy that some people enjoyed it; I did not. What made the first BR so memorable for me was the humanity, of which I saw precious little in this overblown version. I was not able to get interested in 2049's characters or the plot. Too much CGI; not enough heart.  Plus, it was an hour too long. Did it or I suffer from sequel-itis? I don't know. All I know is that 2049 did not move me and the original BR did.

mgsboedmisodpc2

« Reply #48 on: 24 Oct 2017, 05:01 pm »
I saw Blade runner 2049 in Digital IMAX.
Did anyone see Blade Runner 2049 in 70mm IMAX?
Did anyone see Blade Runner 2049 in dual 4K laser IMAX?
Did anyone see Blade Runner 2049 in Regal RPX (Regal Premier eXperience) 40ft-60ft

"AMC Loews Lincoln Square IMAX at AMC Loews Lincoln Square 13 features IMAX’s laser projection, cutting-edge 12-channel IMAX sound and plush rocker seating.  Dual 4K laser projection system is equipped with a new optical engine and suite of proprietary IMAX technologies capable of projecting an image with up to a 1.43:1 aspect ratio with maximum resolution and sharpness, unparalleled 2D and 3D brightness, industry-leading contrast and an expanded color gamut that will allow filmmakers to present more vivid and exotic colors than ever before. The new system also includes IMAX's next-generation sound technology that delivers even greater power and precision for ultimate audio immersion. It has been upgraded to 12 discrete channels plus sub-bass, and includes additional side channels as well as new overhead channels that will improve the system's ability to position sounds around the audience and further ensure every seat is the best in the house."

So afer reading the above I really want to see the 4K/12 channel Blade Runner 2049 as any member of this Audio forum should desire as well though the experience it seems costs $2 more than other IMAX theates in the area.

So is hard drive digit IMAX better than 70 MM Film IMAX?

AMC Empire 25 IMAX digital theater, with its 28 x 58-foot (8.5 x 18 meter)
1,250 square feet (120 square-meters) 1.9 aspect ratios a digital one

AMC Lincoln Square IMAX 15/70 theater 76 x 98 feet (23 x 30 meters)
4,800 square-foot (450 square-meter) 15/70 film screen

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #49 on: 27 Oct 2017, 04:46 am »
I am a sci-fi addict.  When the Science Fiction cable channel changed their name to SyFy I wrote a letter of protest.  In the 9th grade we were each allowed to order one book for the school library and I ordered a Heinlein piece.  I am 70 years old and am currently involved in reading an interesting cyber-punk type story.  I have seen the original Blade Runner a jillion times on TV.  Those are my simple bona Fides so you'll understand I don't comment lightly about this new movie.  New movie - Fantastic visual and sound.  I  thought both Gosling and Ford were excellent.    BUT... I fell asleep at one point.  Really. The volume on some of the female vocals  as they whispered their lines was so low I couldn't understand what they were saying.  This happened several times.  I felt there was too much effort to have a slow pace, even when unnecessary.  They could have eliminated 30 minutes of long pauses and had a better movie in my opinion. 

Wind Chaser

« Reply #50 on: 27 Oct 2017, 06:01 am »
I fell asleep at one point.

I was tempted to leave half way through.

The volume on some of the female vocals  as they whispered their lines was so low I couldn't understand what they were saying.  This happened several times.

Not to mention the excessively loud volume for sound effects, which also happen several times.

I felt there was too much effort to have a slow pace, even when unnecessary.  They could have eliminated 30 minutes of long pauses and had a better movie in my opinion.

They could have eliminated 90 minutes, but as sequels usually go, this one is inferior to the the first.

Apart from some visuals, there wasn't much about this film that I particularly enjoyed.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #51 on: 27 Oct 2017, 11:01 am »
I was tempted to leave half way through.

Not to mention the excessively loud volume for sound effects, which also happen several times.

They could have eliminated 90 minutes, but as sequels usually go, this one is inferior to the the first.

Apart from some visuals, there wasn't much about this film that I particularly enjoyed.

Excellent  :D That’s my queue to watch this movie!

Thanks!

Anand.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #52 on: 27 Oct 2017, 04:46 pm »
I hope you enjoy more than I did.  :wink:

bondmanp

« Reply #53 on: 27 Oct 2017, 05:01 pm »
Love the pervasive use of vacuum tubes.  Bladerunner is my single favorite film, ever (at least the Director's cut).  So, I am excited that this sequel seems to be faithful to the original.  All I can say about Bladerunner is: "THE UNICORN!!!! IT'S THE UNICORN!!!!!"   :icon_lol:

wushuliu

« Reply #54 on: 27 Oct 2017, 05:23 pm »
The negative feedback is so interesting to me because to me they sound like what was said about the original. I've always considered the original a little slow, that the visuals and production design were the best thing about it, etc etc.

2049 can absolutely lose 30 minutes and have the same impact. In fact I think the original run time was supposed to be 30min shorter. Not sure why the director decided to go all in. But that additional 30 minutes is what takes the film to Kubrick level. There's a meditative pace to it and emphasis on landscapes that reminds me of 2001. Sicario had similar moments, but much shorter. Definite influence.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #55 on: 27 Oct 2017, 06:01 pm »
The negative feedback is so interesting to me because to me they sound like what was said about the original. I've always considered the original a little slow, that the visuals and production design were the best thing about it, etc etc.

I haven't see the original since 1982, but I remember seeing it at least twice. I agree with what you said about the original above and I would also add that I think the story telling was more coherent.

2049 can absolutely lose 30 minutes and have the same impact. In fact I think the original run time was supposed to be 30min shorter. Not sure why the director decided to go all in. But that additional 30 minutes is what takes the film to Kubrick level. There's a meditative pace to it and emphasis on landscapes that reminds me of 2001. Sicario had similar moments, but much shorter. Definite influence.

Apart from 2001, which I don't consider to be Kubrick's best work, I don't see the Kubrick connection.

mgsboedmisodpc2

« Reply #56 on: 27 Oct 2017, 09:32 pm »
Bet 30 minutes will be added on the DVD when it comes out..the cutting room floor stuff...

charmerci

« Reply #57 on: 27 Oct 2017, 10:59 pm »
I live in a small town, so I missed it.

But I'm rather curious, since only guys have commented - what did your female friends and partners think about it? There seems to be a big gender gap about this movie - maybe?

rockadanny

« Reply #58 on: 27 Oct 2017, 11:05 pm »
I purposely watched it without my wife. she's not into the genre at all.

wushuliu

« Reply #59 on: 27 Oct 2017, 11:46 pm »
I live in a small town, so I missed it.

But I'm rather curious, since only guys have commented - what did your female friends and partners think about it? There seems to be a big gender gap about this movie - maybe?

My gf loved it, but she is also a serious film lover. In fact she liked it more than I did. That said a more casual viewer might might not see the overt misogyny and objectification for the subtle commentary it is. Especially as it's a hot button issue these days.