Tom's SoundScape 10's in quilted maple with deep rose/red double-dye finish

jsalk

Tom wanted a pair of SoundScape 10's to replace the bubinga HT3's in his main system.

He wanted a similar color finish, but really wanted to take things to the next level.

So we searched for a nice quilted maple to work with.  We first dyed the entire cabinets solid black.  We then sanded the surface.  Where the wood was soft, the black soaked in and was not sanded away.  Where the wood was hard, the sanding removed the black, leaving the white maple exposed.

We added a deep rose/red dye to the final topcoat.  The result was a deep rose/red color with a lot of depth (contrast) in the black areas.  This is a nice technique to get more contrast than would be available just dying the wood the final color.

We topped things off by hand rubbing the finish to high gloss.  This resulted in one of the richest looking finishes we have ever done.

Here are some pictures...

And here is a close-up...

Happy listening Tom!

- Jim

Austin08

Whow, Jim is a super man, today. I guess the tracking down process is really working its margic now. Congratulation, Tom

Phil A

Outstanding!!! - Enjoy the speakers

Saturn94

Stunning!  Would love to see those in person.

Thanksgramps

These are killer.  The color just adds to the majesty of the grain, making it even more special.  These will be noticed (except when you are listening of course!).

Jim - you shipped quite a bit of speaker this week, from these three posts (HT3, SS8 and SS10).  Having such a great reputation with the value SongSeries, it's fantastic to see so much success transitioning all of us into the top end too.  Congrats.

And Congratulations Tom on an amazing choice.

Listening1

Wow wow wow
Those are true works of functional art. Really, they should be in a museum

Phil A

Wow wow wow
Those are true works of functional art. Really, they should be in a museum
I agree.  I've posted before I think Jim should make audio furniture.  Can you imagine an audio rack with black posts and the same finish on the shelves? Maples shelves in that finish would be functionally great and look great too.  There was a guy at the CapitalAudiofest this past year (Kanso Audio Furniture) who had his stuff in the hotel lobby (see pic).  Not cheap but beautiful.

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
oh my God

I just returned home from vacation to find this post...

I about fell out of my chair!!! just stunned!

Jim worked quite a bit with me patiently recommending the wood and finish options
This exceeded even my highest expectations of how the final product would turn out

Immearsurable thanks Jim
and appreciation to all those artisans at Salk

I can't wait to have these SS10's grace my system

Nuance

Congratulations, Tom, and welcome to the Salk family.  Your finish is officially my new favorite; the best I've seen.  Period!  Enjoy buddy.

audiotom

• for everything music
Nuance

thanks for the warm welcome

I discovered Salk via audiogon then searching here
so I'm a long term card carrying member
my Salk HT3s I bought in 2006 were the introduction to the family

Jim does so many incredible finishes, seriously, how could anyone pick just one

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
Splendid selection Tom, acoustic artwork visually & sonically. Enjoy, I'm sure they'll give a new aspect to your musical library.  8)

Busy at the Salk 'house' this week, keep on truckin' Jim.   :thumb:

Nuance

Nuance

thanks for the warm welcome

I discovered Salk via audiogon then searching here
so I'm a long term card carrying member
my Salk HT3s I bought in 2006 were the introduction to the family

Jim does so many incredible finishes, seriously, how could anyone pick just one

Sweet - you're a Salk VIP then! :D 

audiotom

• for everything music
we are all VIPs from Jim's prespective

ricardojoa

Wow is ss10 screams high end, just eyes dropping. Im actually not a fan on eyes maple but this just drew me allover. Jim wood word really is stunning.

audiotom

• for everything music
Well two weeks of shipping delays and power out from Hurricane Isaac and I'm finally able to sit down and listen to the Soundscape 10's.

Pictures do no justice to the finish, the double die effect on the quilted maple, perfect deep rose color, and phenominal high gloss piano finish.  I'd love some museum spot lighting to show them in all their grandeur.
Jim did an incredible job, a true artisan, well beyond my highest expectations.

I've had HT3s since late 2006.  I always felt these would be my "last set of speakers", they have been such loyal friends brinqing such lovely music.  The soundscapes take all their endearing qualities and enhance them further.

The tonal balance is dead on with distinct overtones, etc.  The speakers completely disappear in the room. Imaging with the mid range rear panel closed off is incredible, layering of instruments, height and depth. I heard one track on an Esperanza Spaulding disc where percussion sounded like it came from 5 feet beyond the speaker. I tried using the open back with two fists full of foam, a little too much rear projection. I will have to experiment with that when I can be pulled away from listening. How well thought out Jim made it to give one the option.

The crossover element is totally seemless.  The top end so lush and detailed, seems to just float there. Mids are warm and spacious, the breathy seductive voice on Norah Jones' latest record is so vibrant, strings rendered so warmly as well. The low end is very commanding. The lower registers of the piano are so vibrant, you can hear the dampening pedals on and off.  Bass drums and other low end percussion are so dynamic and full bodied. 

The 1 1/2 inch thick walls and isolated bass cabinet give a real clean distinct seperation to the mid and high frequencies.  That and the dual resonators for the bass cabinet really has sharpened the very prominant lower end.  Jim's handywork in design also includes magnet supported grips for the grills built into the cabinets.

I'm estatic.  I never thought my system could get to this level of musicality. To just sit back and let the music just rush over you is the greatest feeling.

I can't thank you enough Jim

Shouts out to Dennis and the whole Salk team

Tom

Ps, on a thread tip from Chris I bought Herbie's super gliders to put under the feet.  Really helped moving the speakers for positioning. Thanks
Images coming soon

Nuance

audiotom,

Thank you for posting your impressions!  Would you be willing to post pictures of your speakers in their new home?  Also, do you have any absorption or diffusion behind the speakers?  I've read (from many SoundScape owners) that placing diffusion behind the speakers really impacts the open-back performance, and in a good way.  A few folks said without the diffusion back there they preferred listening with the midrange chamber closed, but now enjoy listening with it open.  YMMV, of course, but perhaps it will do wonders for you too.

Happy listening!

fsimms

Glad to hear you love the SoundScapes.  Since you told me that I was influential to your decision to upgrade I have been on pins and needles that the SoundScapes would be your cup of tea.  They should sound even better when you get the open back adjusted.  Thanks for the report!

Bob

audiotom

• for everything music
 Nuance,

here are a few pictures in my home, the speakers are incredible and from Jim's hands, works of art as well.
I can't stop listening

Bob,  no need to feel antsy, what I heard at RMAF had me sold. Well worth the trip and nice to meet you there, if however brief.
I won't be going this year, I have plenty of listening to do at home.

I will play with the rear dipole this weekend.  I don't use diffusion there based on room considerations

planning on a thorough write up on my experiences next week

Tom

all the best and thanks again Jim!

my system  SS10's, Doshi Aalap preamp, galibrier gavia table, triplaner arm, zyx, audio research cd2, moscode 401hr, trl samsons, silent running audio isolation

the flash intensifies the red hue and no, the speaker doesn't have electrical outlets on the side, that's the mirror like finish

I added Real Traps acoustic treatments prior to their arrival.  the imaging is holographic
Thanks Pete and George for your insights in taming the beast

Big Red Machine

So the Samsons are getting it done with these?  We've never tried them with the 10's or 12's. 

audiotom

• for everything music
Hi Pete

Tight, focused, all the bottom end, detail and more.

Passed the Lark's Tounge in Aspic I  clipping test with flying colors

I asked Paul for Navy blue face plates, but he ended up giving me your color of choice,
hope you don't mind.