Introduction and Questions about AMG Sta and AMG DAC with Bluesound node

Fcandi11

Hallo everybody,

I am Andreas an I just discovered the AudioCircle as a happy Nuprime-user. I hope that you can help me with two questions about the devices I mentioned above. English is not my first language but I hope you can understand what I mean.

I really like my AMG Dac. It is connected to my Bluesound Node N130 via Coax (Spdif) which works pretty well. I also tried to connect it with USB but there was no sound at all. I know that I have to put some settings in the blue sound app. I already connected the node via USB to an Nuprime DAC 9X successfully.
Does anybody know what the problem could be?

My second question is about the AMG Sta. I had different amps before like most of us I guess and I sometimes tried to change the fuse. I always used a hifi supreme 3 fuse and it improved the sound a bit. The sign on the AMG sta says that it should be a slow fuse. But inside you see a fast one. Does anybody know why there is a difference and what kind of fuse is right?

Thanks so much in advance.

Cheers Andreas
« Last Edit: 7 Dec 2023, 04:08 pm by Fcandi11 »

AllanS

Greetings Andreas,
  Unfortunately I cannot answer your questions.  I just wanted to say welcome to audio circle and to say it may take few days to get a response. Jason Lim will usually answer questions like these if he knows.  If not he will ask engineering. 
  One detail that may be helpful is a picture of the fuse currently installed in the amp and perhaps a picture of the serial number plate on the bottom of the amp.  Jason may also want to know if you are the original owner.
  I recently added an AMG STA to my system and am very happy with it.  I’m also considering the DAC.
Cheers,
Allan

Fcandi11

Hi Allan,
thank you very much for your reply and the informations. I will take some pictures soon. About the fuse I can tell that it is a ceramic fuse inside with 3 A, size ist 5 x 20 mm and speed is fast.
I am the original owner of the DAC and the second owner of the STA and happy with both products too.
I can highly recommend the AMG DAC. It is a great DAC with a nice warm sound. I compared it to some other DACs but I liked the AMG more.

Cheers,

Andreas
« Last Edit: 9 Dec 2023, 03:21 pm by Fcandi11 »

rustydoglim

Check with Bluesound Note if it is a USB Host or USB client device. It has to be a USB host device (like a PC) that outputs USB Audio.

Fcandi11

Thanks for your reply.
As the Bluesband node´s USB out worked just finde with the Nuprime Dac 9x that I testes before and also other dacs I suppose it is a host device. Does the amg dac work via usb on other streamers? Has anybody experience?

cheers Andreas

rustydoglim

Does it work with your computer's USB audio to AMG DAC?
If that works, then AMG DAC is working according to spec. The support for Linux or other non-computer-based USB audio is hit-and-miss because we are unable to provide the device driver.

Fcandi11

Hi,
yes it does. So that means that it depends on what the streaming device is based on. The USB on the AMG DAC I suppose is different to the DAC 9x then? Not the best news, because many streamers work with USB connections for highest resolution.

Thanks for your support.

rustydoglim

Hi,
yes it does. So that means that it depends on what the streaming device is based on. The USB on the AMG DAC I suppose is different to the DAC 9x then? Not the best news, because many streamers work with USB connections for highest resolution.

Thanks for your support.

Nuprime DACs use common USB driver chips (some older model uses XMOS, some newer models something else I don't recall).  MacOS has provided native USB driver support so all the DACs on the market work on MacOS (the drawback is that native DSD support on Mac is difficult). The USB chip driver companies provide device driver support for Windows.

Streamers that provide USB audio output are typically variants of Linux and they don't support all the USB drivers out there. So this issue is not limited to Nuprime AMG DAC.  Any DACs that use the same USB driver chip as AMG DAC won't work with Bluesound Node (unless it provides native support of the driver).  Since the Bluesound node has other digital output, you can still use it with AMG DAC.

Charles Xavier

I have 2 suggestions for you

First while the USB cable is attached to the BS Node and the DAC unplug the power to the Node and wait a few seconds then plug the Node back in to power and see if the DAC recognizes the node.

Second got into player settings on the BS node and make sure you have the output set to the USB Dac as per the picture below. The chosen output will be highlighted in blue. If it is not click on it. Now go and see if it plays.

Fcandi11

Thank you for your kind support.

It couldn't try out with the power of the Node so far, bur I will...The setting in the Bluesound Node is correct. I already checked it before and I already connected the Dac 9x successfully via USB...

Merry Christmas to all of you

Andreas

rustydoglim

AMG DAC and DAC-9X use a different USB driver chip, we will try to contact the chip company if there is anything that can be done (typically for Windows, that will be a USB driver update, not sure if they can update the chip firmware).

Fcandi11

I really appreciate this! Thanks

Fcandi11

Could you tell me, if the I2S Input works only with the Nuprime Streamer or does it work with other streamers with I2S output as well?

Thanks in advance!

Andreas

rustydoglim

For I2S, you have to compare the pin outs to find out if they are compatible.