DAC-9

grubyhalo

Re: DAC-9
« Reply #220 on: 25 Jul 2018, 08:02 pm »
I choose between Nuprime DAC-9 and RME ADI-2 DAC  :| :? hmm...
difficult choices :?

Get a used DAC-9 for around $500-$600, you can sell it without too much of a loss if you don't like it.

simon740

« Reply #221 on: 25 Jul 2018, 08:19 pm »
Get a used DAC-9 for around $500-$600, you can sell it without too much of a loss if you don't like it.

Im from Europe (Slovenia) and it is almost imposible to buy used one. The new one from Germany is 845€. The ADI-2 DAC is 999€.

regards,
Simon

grubyhalo

« Reply #222 on: 25 Jul 2018, 08:54 pm »
Here are a few options, including in Europe:

https://www.hifishark.com/search?q=nuprime+DAC-9

simon740

« Reply #223 on: 26 Jul 2018, 11:21 am »
Here are a few options, including in Europe:

https://www.hifishark.com/search?q=nuprime+DAC-9

Thank you. I will check a little...

simon740

« Reply #224 on: 26 Jul 2018, 11:23 am »
I choose between Nuprime DAC-9 and RME ADI-2 DAC  :| :? hmm...
difficult choices :?

Has anyone compared those two DACs?

kaka89

« Reply #225 on: 26 Jul 2018, 04:04 pm »
Has anyone compared those two DACs?

I have.
Headfonics has reviews on both units and I agree with the author's listening impression.
RME ADI-2 DAC has a more natural presentation and very powerful features.
If you need analog preamp (RCA) then only DAC-9 can do that.

I have used 3 DACs at home, Nuprime DAC-9, RME ADI-2 DAC and Lumin D1, they all have its own unique feature

- Lumin D1 for people who already have a preamp/integrated amp and only need a streamer
- RME ADI-2 DAC for people who want to play with EQ and don't mind all digital product
- Nuprime DAC-9 for people who want analog preamp

simon740

« Reply #226 on: 26 Jul 2018, 05:04 pm »
I have.
Headfonics has reviews on both units and I agree with the author's listening impression.
RME ADI-2 DAC has a more natural presentation and very powerful features.
If you need analog preamp (RCA) then only DAC-9 can do that.

I have used 3 DACs at home, Nuprime DAC-9, RME ADI-2 DAC and Lumin D1, they all have its own unique feature

- Lumin D1 for people who already have a preamp/integrated amp and only need a streamer
- RME ADI-2 DAC for people who want to play with EQ and don't mind all digital product
- Nuprime DAC-9 for people who want analog preamp

Oh..nice.
I dont have any analog device, so analog IN is not important. I just need somethink to drive my active speakers  :)
Somethink with very good volume control so the music will not loose any bits  :|
DAC-9 is very interesting too because of this http://nuprimeaudio.com/product/wr-100/?v=ce774d9cab3a
So no need for another streamer.

pewe

« Reply #227 on: 1 Aug 2018, 02:56 pm »
NuForce P8 to DAC-9, go ahead it is a no brainer upgrade.

I ordered a slightly used silver DAC-9 this morning, it's replacing my Nuforce P8 pre-amp. For amplification I'm using Nuforce Ref. 9 v2. Looking really forward to this upgrade! Taking a bit of a chance as I haven't been able to try it at home.

First, I was thinking about the DAC-10 and I'm sure it's a wonderful thing but I've never really liked the ESS-Sabre sound, somehow it doesn't work with my equipment.

If anyone is interested I could give a quick review when the DA-9 has arrived.

RafaPolit

• www.rafaelpolit.com
« Reply #228 on: 2 Aug 2018, 05:18 am »
Pewe, yes, please! For me, more than a review, of which there are plenty for the DAC-9, a comparison of sorts would be much appreciated!

The more I read reviews, the less useful I find them.  Every review you read would seem like it's the best thing out there.  A review of the STA-9 reads just a nice as one of the ST-10, and in turn, one of the Evo One as well, and then you read the review of a $100K amp, and it reads just the same.  So I am beginning to long for comparisons, so that we could start really describing the real character of products instead of homogeneous praise all over the place.

Thanks! Looking forward to your impressions,
Rafa.

pewe

« Reply #229 on: 2 Aug 2018, 07:42 am »
RafaPolit:I will write something about the DAC-9 when it has arrived and I've made some listening. Agree, and I also think that there is to much focus on technical specs on hifi-gears which is not always an indicator that it sounds good.

The best equipment, in my experience, is when the producer actually have done listening tests before realeasing the product. You will be surprised how seldom this happens in the hifi world!

simon740

« Reply #230 on: 2 Aug 2018, 09:08 am »
I ordered a slightly used silver DAC-9 this morning, it's replacing my Nuforce P8 pre-amp. For amplification I'm using Nuforce Ref. 9 v2. Looking really forward to this upgrade! Taking a bit of a chance as I haven't been able to try it at home.

First, I was thinking about the DAC-10 and I'm sure it's a wonderful thing but I've never really liked the ESS-Sabre sound, somehow it doesn't work with my equipment.

If anyone is interested I could give a quick review when the DAC-9 has arrived.

Yes...please. Because I still looking DAC for my active speakers  :oops: :|

regards,
Simon

simon740

« Reply #231 on: 7 Aug 2018, 09:37 am »
*pewe*
do you have a dac-9 already?

regards,
Simon

pewe

« Reply #232 on: 7 Aug 2018, 02:30 pm »
Yes, I got the DAC-9 last friday so it is up and running. It's a wonderful machine. The DAC replaced my Nuforce P8 preamp and HifiMe Sabre ESS dac and is paired with my Nuforce REF 9 V2 mono blocks. Speakers are Mark&Daniel Maximus Monitor. There is a very big difference to the sound. Much more organic and more musical, I'm glad to report!

First, build quality is good and solid and the remote has a nice feel to it with rubber buttons. The DAC 9 also looks much better than in pictures and feels wonderful to operate. Musically, the DAC 9 vs. the HifiME dac, well there is just no comparison. THe DAC9 is so much more liquid and "right". Perhaps it's just me but I have never liked the ESS Sabre chip, sure resolution is there but IMHO the sound have a tendency to become to a bit bright.

With the DAC 9 the overall impression is a much more musical presentation. You don't analyze the music, you are just drawn into the experience and that's the best praise I can give. The sound feels powerful with several layers of information. I also tried the analog RCA-inputs and indeed, that is a very good pre amp.

Overall, super happy with my purchase and I believe that any music lover or audiophile would love this machine. Extremely good value.

RafaPolit

• www.rafaelpolit.com
« Reply #233 on: 7 Aug 2018, 04:11 pm »
Great to hear, thanks for the opinion.  Helps a lot!

simon740

« Reply #234 on: 7 Aug 2018, 04:44 pm »
Yes, I got the DAC-9 last friday so it is up and running. It's a wonderful machine. The DAC replaced my Nuforce P8 preamp an dac and is paired with my Nuforce REF 9 V2 mono blocks. Speakers are Mark&Daniel Maximus Monitor. There is a very big difference to the sound. Much more organic and more musical, I'm glad to report!

First, build quality is good and solid and the remote has a nice feel to it with rubber buttons. The DAC 9 also looks much better than in pictures and feels wonderful to operate. Musically, the DAC 9 vs. the HifiME dac, well there is just no comparison. THe DAC9 is so much more liquid and "right". Perhaps it's just me but I have never liked the ESS Sabre chip, sure resolution is there but IMHO the sound have a tendency to become to a bit bright.

With the DAC 9 the overall impression is a much more musical presentation. You don't analyze the music, you are just drawn into the experience and that's the best praise I can give. The sound feels powerful with several layers of information. I also tried the analog RCA-inputs and indeed, that is a very good pre amp.

Overall, super happy with my purchase and I believe that any music lover or audiophile would love this machine. Extremely good value.

Thank you for that  :banana piano:
I use this : https://hifimediy.com/sabre-dac-uae23 in the past. Didnt like it.
Now I use Topping D30. It is Ok. Very transparent, but with some bad recordings  :bawl:
And I need real balance DAC/preamp for my SRP 205.
Now I have to decide between the used DAC-9 (650 €) one year old and completely new for 845€

regars,
Simon

pewe

« Reply #235 on: 7 Aug 2018, 05:51 pm »
I got my DAC 9 from a dealer here in Sweden, it was a demo uniti with full warranty.

simon740

« Reply #236 on: 8 Aug 2018, 08:43 am »
I got my DAC 9 from a dealer here in Sweden, it was a demo uniti with full warranty.

Can you please tell me which dealer is that?

Simon

pewe

« Reply #237 on: 8 Aug 2018, 11:18 am »
Sure, go to www.fyndborsen.se. Under "demo/used" there apparently seems to be a DAC-9 demo unit available for 4990 SKR. (I also know that this dealer good give you a very good price on a new unit, PM me for more info!)

I also want to add further comments about the DAC9, I listened a couple of hours last night. Over the years I've listened to many high-end components and many times I've been disappointed. Sure, they all have their merits but what they ultimately lack is musicality. With the DAC9 I think that it is a component that sounds right from the start. It's richer and more "dense", more engaging than many other components I've heard.

Now, my system sound very different - in a good way.  :D

pewe

« Reply #238 on: 12 Aug 2018, 09:50 am »
Some pics of the DAC9 in my system together with the mighty Mark&Daniel Maximus Monitor.

Next step is to replace the Nuforce monoblocks. Can't decide between two STA9 or ST10. Any advice?

simon740

« Reply #239 on: 12 Aug 2018, 01:03 pm »
*pewe* nice looking setup  :guitar:

One more question: Has anyone connected the phono preamplifier (+ turntable) to the analog input on the DAC-9?

regards,
Simon