BP-16 Review

1ZIP

BP-16 Review
« on: 25 Jan 2009, 07:38 am »
Has anyone seen a review(s) of the BP-16?  I'm trying to decide between a BP-26 and the BP-16.  I have a BCD-1 and a 4B ST.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BP-16 Review
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jan 2009, 12:10 pm »
Has anyone seen a review(s) of the BP-16?  I'm trying to decide between a BP-26 and the BP-16.  I have a BCD-1 and a 4B ST.

Hi ZIP,

No sorry -there are no reviews of the BP16. The BP16 is the preamp section from the B100SST so the B100 reviews would have some relevance for you.

james

1ZIP

« Reply #2 on: 26 Jan 2009, 06:54 am »
Thanks, I was afraid of that. But after doing a lot of reading on the B100 it is very highly rated and one discussion paired just the preamp section with a 4B SST.  If I read that article correctly there was not a great deal of difference and what did exist was positive, which says a lot for the BP-16.  So, I'm still left with the question of how significant an improvement is the BP-26 over the BP-16?  I guess the next step would be to go to a dealer and have them swap out a BP-26 for a BP-16 and see what difference there is.  But that brings up another concern, the dealer is most likely to be using a 4B SST or the SST2 and I have a 4B ST and how much difference that will make, if any.  I wouldn't be overly concerned about that aspect but Bryston in their literature says, "Designed inside and out to reflect the improvements in the entire Bryston line, these preamplifiers are a perfect match to our new SST series of amplifiers". What does that mean when pairing a BP-26 to a 4B ST as opposed to an SST or SST2, if anything?  In any case a BP-16 or a BP-26 would undoubtedly be a significant improvement over the BP-60 (preamp section) I'm using now.  I recently tried a McIntosh C2200 in place of the BP-60, with a noticeable difference, duh!  But the sound stage was worse and tight bass I was use to vanished, the latter a product of a tube preamp I guess.  So, I guess what might be helpful would be your thoughts on what improvements might be expected when replacing the B-60 with either the B-16 or B-26.  I realize that a lot of this is subjective and much of this sounds like thinking out loud but nonetheless I would be interested in an opinion.  Just as an aside when I replaced my source with a BCD-1 I was amazed.  Someone would have to hold me at gun point before I would give up the unit.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 26 Jan 2009, 01:19 pm »
Thanks, I was afraid of that. But after doing a lot of reading on the B100 it is very highly rated and one discussion paired just the preamp section with a 4B SST.  If I read that article correctly there was not a great deal of difference and what did exist was positive, which says a lot for the BP-16.  So, I'm still left with the question of how significant an improvement is the BP-26 over the BP-16?  I guess the next step would be to go to a dealer and have them swap out a BP-26 for a BP-16 and see what difference there is.  But that brings up another concern, the dealer is most likely to be using a 4B SST or the SST2 and I have a 4B ST and how much difference that will make, if any.  I wouldn't be overly concerned about that aspect but Bryston in their literature says, "Designed inside and out to reflect the improvements in the entire Bryston line, these preamplifiers are a perfect match to our new SST series of amplifiers". What does that mean when pairing a BP-26 to a 4B ST as opposed to an SST or SST2, if anything?  In any case a BP-16 or a BP-26 would undoubtedly be a significant improvement over the BP-60 (preamp section) I'm using now.  I recently tried a McIntosh C2200 in place of the BP-60, with a noticeable difference, duh!  But the sound stage was worse and tight bass I was use to vanished, the latter a product of a tube preamp I guess.  So, I guess what might be helpful would be your thoughts on what improvements might be expected when replacing the B-60 with either the B-16 or B-26.  I realize that a lot of this is subjective and much of this sounds like thinking out loud but nonetheless I would be interested in an opinion.  Just as an aside when I replaced my source with a BCD-1 I was amazed.  Someone would have to hold me at gun point before I would give up the unit.

Hi IZIP

You bring up some good points about synergy between components and there are certainly important aspects when matching different technologies or different manufacturers gear. I guess the best way for me to answer is that our goal from the first day we got into business was to produce the most 'linear' and 'accurate' electronic components the current state of the art would allow.  We do not build to a price point and we do not take a good/better/best approach.

So the choice of preamp (or amp for that matter) becomes one of a specific feature set or 'application' rather than one of a 'performance' choice. So if you need balanced inputs and outputs, have a number of sources etc. you would choose the BP26.  If you do not need balanced in or out and like a fully remote preamp then the BP16 would apply. If you only have 4 inputs and do not need balanced or remote then the BP6 would fit the bill.

Hope this helps and glad your enjoying your Bryston CD Player so much.

jethro

« Reply #4 on: 1 Feb 2009, 09:28 pm »
1ZIP:

It's been a while since I switched from the 4B-ST to 4B-SST but the
difference was quite noticeable. If my memory serves me correctly, the
biggest change for me was that voices in the 4B-SST sounded fuller. I believe
the bass was a little bit fuller as well. With the 4B-SST I am able to enjoy
recordings that I previously found un-listenable. That isn't to say that
there aren't good recordings that sound really good with the ST but
they seem to be older recordings. I normally use my SP-1.7 in bypass
mode as a preamp (even though I have a BP-25 in the closet). I don't have
a BP-16 or B-100 to compare against the BP-25, but you should take into account
the difference between the ST and SST.

1ZIP

« Reply #5 on: 1 Feb 2009, 10:16 pm »
Thanks for your input. 

I'm probably going to get the BP-26 and then later this year get a new 4B SST to replace the 4B ST.  I have no idea what the price is for the SST but I would guess around 4K or so!  Slowly upgrading the system, speakers are next after the electronics. 

RonCH

« Reply #6 on: 3 Jul 2009, 02:32 pm »
Any reviews of the BP16 in the last 6 months?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #7 on: 3 Jul 2009, 02:44 pm »
Any reviews of the BP16 in the last 6 months?

Hi Ron,

I do not think we have ever had a BP16 review?

The B100 is the BP16 and the 2B SST on one chassis so the B100 reviews would give you a reasonable overview.

james