Uh, Oh, Here Comes A Late Party Crasher.

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
Uh, Oh, Here Comes A Late Party Crasher.
« on: 24 Jul 2020, 08:42 pm »
I was going to buy a pair of RM 40s when first introduced but never did. Well, now I see a pair of RM 30s sitting in front of me. While I do not like the bass so much, I brought the GR Research Super Vs to the party crossed over at 120 hz and it’s happening now. VMPS takes audio to a very high level. Better late to the party than never, ha. Just got it somewhat setup.

Here is a video on the party.
https://youtu.be/d-2kiRUQB2k

Rocket Ronny

« Last Edit: 25 Jul 2020, 01:13 am by Rocket_Ronny »

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: A Late Party Crasher
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jul 2020, 08:48 pm »
I used to have RM40's and I still love them to this day.  Sold them to Jason a while back and he's got time in a dedicated room driven fully active with custom built tube amps.  Brian really knew what he was doing when he created these speakers. 

That said, the servo OB bass sounds very very nice with that top RM-30 section. 

Rocket_Ronny

• ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #2 on: 24 Jul 2020, 09:43 pm »
Too funny. There is a lot of adjustability with the speaker so you can dial it in. What amazes me is the utter transparency and imaging. I can’t imagine why anyone would sell them. These just came along at a good price so had to try them. They would be better than my Line Force Wannabe in a small room. So these are keepers. I have the best of both worlds now.

Rocket Ronny

John Casler

« Reply #3 on: 24 Jul 2020, 10:33 pm »
Ronny,

If you like tweaking around, for whatever reason, many found "elevating" the RM-30s 6-8 Inches, (like on blocks) offered some nice improvements.

The front (below the front baffle) needs to be SOLID.

Many noticed improvements in both the Soundstage, Clarity, and Detail and Harmonics in the bass.

Others thought is was not their Cup of Tea.

It was well discussed in a thread where I called it the RM-30 HighBoy tweak.

Rocket_Ronny

• ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #4 on: 24 Jul 2020, 11:38 pm »
Thanks John for chiming in. Nice to have the resident guru sharing. I would think greater transparency in raising them would have to do with the bass interaction with the floor. These have the level 2 mod ?, where the bass drivers are replaced, passive 10”, and bottom ports closed. That, and crossing over at 120hz, makes me think raising them would not help in transparency. They already are about the most transparent speaker I have ever heard.

As for sound stage improvement, it’s just a touch on the tall side as is. I do like the look as is. That and audiophile laziness leads me to believe it will be a ways off before doing that. Was wondering what part would one buy to replace the volume pot if they need replacing?

What speakers are in your system John and what are your favorited in the the line?

Rocket Ronny

John Casler

Re: Uh, Oh, Here Comes A Late Party Crasher.
« Reply #5 on: 25 Jul 2020, 01:52 am »
Hi Ronny,

Not sure about the Guru designation, but I do have signifcant history and experience with VMPS.

Was just throwing out a tweak that was fun and easy.

As far as what speaker I listen to now, I got lucky, and a former RM-40 customer was downsizing and going with a smaller speaker. 

He ask if I knew anyone who wanted his, or could I haul them away.

Well they are not pristine, (Gloss Black) but they are the Dorne Dibble Cabinets and I have the OXO (outboard XO) recapped to have the Mundorph Premium Caps so I am a happy camper.  :thumb:

Just nothing on the market (still) below $40k that can do the same thing.

Rocket_Ronny

• ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #6 on: 25 Jul 2020, 02:02 am »
Oh I appreciate your tweak comment. Keep them coming if you have more. I was just saying why I most likely won’t rush out to do it. I am still messing with the all the various volume controls, from a tri-amped rig to the speaker volume pots, etc.

When I read Peter Moncrieff’s review of the RM40 decades ago I knew they had to be exceptional. And so he was right, and I was right in properly sizing up a review.

Rocket Ronny

John Casler

« Reply #7 on: 25 Jul 2020, 02:09 am »
Oh, and I forgot. . .did you mean to replace the L-PAD?

If so I think Parts Express still has them.

So glad you're enjoying/discovering these speakers after all these years.

And regarding your L-PADS, here is another tweak.

The coils that the wipers contact might have oxidized over the years, so it is advisable to "gently" take a small screwdriver and turn the shaft from one side or the other 20-30 times to wipe the oxidation off.

Listen before, and listen after and if they haven't been cleaned in years you should hear a difference.

But MAKE SURE and note their original setting so you don't forget. :nono:

Rocket_Ronny

• ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #8 on: 25 Jul 2020, 02:57 am »
Thanks for the info on the loads. Your “gently” comment I get as one half of the control knob knocked off already, and I was using only my fingers.

Rocket Ronny

Bob Stark

« Reply #9 on: 25 Jul 2020, 03:31 am »
Hey John,

I feel like you--I happened to be in the right place and right time to snatch up a great pair of RM40 BCSE w/ MLS cabinets in bookmatched rosewood.  They were the reference pair Marty DeWulf  of Bound For Sound had for several years that he compared all others to.  I have been very lucky in being able to assemble a top flight system around them.  I'm just finishing a room rebuild that was started 14 years ago.  This is the final version and only have the rear built-in bass traps in each corner plus 4 sets of cabinets that are going in front of them to build that will give me all the storage for records, CDs, and cassettes now and in the future.  By having pegboard as a rear panel to each cabinet, the Roxul rockwool boards will be in a couple layers behind the cabinets in angled corners.  I just finished the front corner bass traps and they sound and look very fine.   The room is very quiet, but not dead.  I've had to experiment to get the sound I was looking for in room treatments, but I think I'm now there.  The system has never sounded better.  Thanks to all who helped me get to where it is now.  John, you were definitely one of those people!  Your Ref 9's now have the TDSS level 3 upgrades and are superamps capable of playing with any amps and any speakers.  It's nice to be retired at this point. 

Bob

GeorgeAb

« Reply #10 on: 25 Jul 2020, 05:12 am »
Huge congratulations Ron. I take it you are in Calgary? If so, be grateful the previous owner and I agreed it was heresy to cannibalize those speakers as I was going to buy at his price for the drivers alone for a project I have been working on. Also, if they are one and the same; wow, great price.  Yes, what a great speaker, hits all the marks on the size and performance. 

Rocket_Ronny

• ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #11 on: 26 Jul 2020, 05:30 am »
Hi George. I live outside of Calgary. Thanks for agreeing not to pull the drivers, appreciated. That was mentioned in the deal. Can you share what your speaker project was, is?

Now the previous owner had 3 pairs of large speakers, hence the sale. He kept a modded pair of Klipsch Cornwall/Cornscalas. These are the first Klipsch that I actually liked. Really liked. While not quite as transparent as the RM30s, they were close. Speakers completely disappeared and they had a better, more full, bass and mid bass. I was somewhat shocked. Have to say I would spread them more apart - by a lot, pull them out in the room a lot more, and raise them up 6-12”, as I personally could not live with the truncated soundstage. But wow.

For the Audiophools who have to know. These are the first pair of Klipsh I actually liked and I heard the La Scalas 3 or 4 different times, all the worst high end audio experiences I ever had as I could here the box so much, and Khorns.

1983 Cornwalls (S/N’s 35Y624 & 35Y629) with Cornscala upgrades.

Upgrades: These speakers were upgraded by myself with Crites CT-125 tweeters, Fastrac wood midrange horns (by David Harris at Fastlane Audio) and ALK Cornscala/Wall Universal crossover networks. The ALK crossovers are the original versions and not the newer economy units that are currently being offered by ALK. $1500 spent on parts.

Original parts: The midrange driver and 15” woofer are still the original units. They are the K-52-K and K-33-E models.

Rocket Ronny

GeorgeAb

« Reply #12 on: 28 Jul 2020, 12:06 am »
Can you share what your speaker project was, is?

It was for a set of RM-V60's which I just finished a couple days ago. Also for another project of some VMPS surround speakers where I have cabinets, 6.5" drivers, neos, but still need another set of Aurum 2Si tweeters as they use two in each speaker.  Just a bit of overkill for surrounds, but its a hobby. That said, after the V60 project; I could use a month or two off to savor the victory enjoying the music.

Rocket_Ronny

• ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #13 on: 28 Jul 2020, 04:59 am »
Wow, good for you. Looks like you were able to source drivers. Do you notice a big difference with the drivers being open baffle?

Rocket Ronny

GeorgeAb

« Reply #14 on: 29 Jul 2020, 08:35 pm »
Wow, good for you. Looks like you were able to source drivers. Do you notice a big difference with the drivers being open baffle?

Rocket Ronny

The sound-stage is significantly deeper. My RM-30's are down a panel, may throw in a 5 ohm panel (should be 3 ohm) just to listen to difference, and I am not moving the RM-40's down the stairs. For all I know the sound-stage may be just as deep as this room in new to me, but I do not think that is going to be the case. I am figuring out this room as it needs work; looks like I will be making acoustic panels.