What is your favorite archiving media?

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
What is your favorite archiving media?
« on: 15 May 2010, 06:41 pm »
What's worked for you? I have some 50+ year old reel to reel tapes that have weathered time almost perfectly.

Modern choices:

Hard drives
Flash memory
Cassettes
Recordable CD's & DVD's
HiFi VHS

Not much is available regarding analog that's mass produced any more.  :? 

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Re: What is your favorite archiving media?
« Reply #1 on: 15 May 2010, 07:03 pm »
Not sure if "favorite" would be the best word to use for a method of storing data for extended period of time since most of what you mentioned hasn't been around very long. Possible "most capable and reliable for future use" might be better?

CD/DVD would be nice as they'd be the proverbial "hard copy" needed for archiving.
Harddrives would be nice as space is cheap nowadays.

Cassettes and VHS would rely on someone maintaining a supply of parts to repair the transport mechanisms. I suppose the same would be true for CD/DVD players as well, but they seem like they'll be around longer than the various forms of magnetic tape media has.

Regardless what you choose, the proper storage facility and climate will be key to longevity as moisture causes cancer.

Bob

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #2 on: 15 May 2010, 07:24 pm »
This is an important  question to those in the recording industry, and you'd probably get your most authoritative answer if you posted the same question here:

http://tinyurl.com/3yuescg

I am not alone in looking at CDRs with suspicion, even for the short term. In the very long term vinyl and shellac look good and reel to reel good, but heavily dependent on the binder formulation.

Wayner

« Reply #3 on: 15 May 2010, 07:35 pm »
I may be one of the few people (in Minnesota) that has the longest time-line with CD-Rs. I remember when they were $12 apiece and I cleaned out St. Cloud, buying 5 of them. They still work as does my Philips CDR-765 recorder (at least the recorder side). I would trust a quality CD-R long before any magnetic tape medium, hard drive or flash drive. Hard drives crash every day and unless you backup the backup, the "archiving" is totally at risk. In fact I would say if you think you are "archiving" on any kind of computer drive, you sooner or later will be in for a very sad shock, when the unit fails. This is the one reason I will not go to computer based music.

The best archiving may be the hard copy you already own, be it LP or CD.

Wayner  :D

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 15 May 2010, 07:38 pm »
Agreed with Wayner, that "backing up the back up" would be a good idea. Especially if it's important data. Even more so if it's a harddrive.
I've got some 25 year old CDs. They're all fine.

Bob

jermmd

« Reply #5 on: 15 May 2010, 07:46 pm »
I have all of my music, movies, photos and important documents archived on an Unraid Server. All the drives are backed up by the server and I would have to lose two drives simultaneously to lose any data. This is extremeley unlikely. Plus I have the original media boxed up in storage and I also have the media on hard drives on the PC's that I use for displaying the media. In other words, I have my photos and music on my HTPC as well. With hard drives selling for $.06/GB, you can back up huge amounts of data for very cheap. I highly recommend Unraid for a simple and reliable turnkey solution to backing up media files.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #6 on: 16 May 2010, 01:39 am »
I, too, have a long association with CDRs, starting in 1992 with a $30,000 Sony burner that lasted until just after the one year warranty expired and followed by a $17,000 Yamaha. I think discs were $25 each, and spoiling one was a serious business.

I bought a batch of CDRs from the biggest supplier on the Canadian west coast from 2002 to 2005 most of which will not play properly or at all anymore and in some cases are the only record of the masters. As you can imagine, this does not please clients who paid for archival recordings of important concerts - typically graduation recitals. This has really made me look askance at the medium, although my much older discs still play well.

My understanding is that hard drives need to be powered up regularly to be considered reliable and that drives immobile for, say, 5 years are at risk. I would feel more comfortable leaving reel to reel tape sitting for years than a hard drive.

Digital storage is not the sure thing it was presumed to be, even without considering changing digital formats. I am thinking very long term - like 100 to 300 years.

Maybe solid state memory is the answer, for all I know.

rpf

« Reply #7 on: 16 May 2010, 01:47 am »
Does anyone have long term experience with gold CDRs?

TIA

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #8 on: 17 May 2010, 01:01 am »
Media & Life Spans (of mine) so far:

1] LP's: 50+ Years
2] Reel to Reel: 50+ Years
3] Cassettes: Some of mine are 20 years old and going strong, others washed out
4] HiFi VHS: 16 years & going strong. My first audio & video tapes still play like new
5] Digital: Old SCSI IBM quad core server still going strong after 10 years
6] DVD R's: I have some that are 5+ years old and still play fine.

Flash drives: We have an old digital phone answerer with 5yr old messages on it. They're being kept on as an experiment.  I have another digital answerer from 1996 that still works.

My favorite is reel to reel so far for audio. It might be tough finding good machines in 20-30 years or parts for them. What can you say? Everything has issues.  I do not have much experience with CDR's. Never liked them! I went straight to DVD R's for audio. They work very well and are cheap.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 17 May 2010, 01:06 am »
Blair, your list doesn't include solid state hard drives.
Something must be said for those, I'd assume????

Bob

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #10 on: 17 May 2010, 11:44 am »
One of my recent computer builds uses a 60GB SSD and it's been going strong for two years now without any issues. There have been reports about flash drives even going through the wash without issue. On Newegg, reviews are mixed about compact flash performance. The cheap ones are not so hot, while the high grade ones are getting excellent reviews.

NOTE: Some CF drives with UDMA capabilities can be made into hard drives. An IDE adapter for older laptops can be purchased for under $15.00 and a good, fast CF drive can be found for $60.00 and up. I believe Transcend makes some of the best. I am going to try this.

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
« Reply #11 on: 18 May 2010, 05:46 pm »
External hard drives, i keep backups of my entire cd collection. Currently i have 300+ albums stored.