Rainy wkend ahead / need sub hookup advice

pearsall001

• AAD 2001 monitor
Rainy wkend ahead / need sub hookup advice
« on: 1 Sep 2006, 10:13 pm »
Since this weekend looks like a wash out I want to experiment with my SVS sub. I only have it hooked up doing HT duty. I want to try it in 2 channel mode. How do I hook it up? My receiver is a NAD T773 using sub-out. My 2 channel system is a CJ tube preamp, AVA amp, Consonance CD120 player, & AAD 2001 monitors. Can I do both together or do I need to keep the hookups separate? I never considered the sub for 2 channel but this is a perfect weekend to see if I like it. Thanks

Corbin Johnson

Re: Rainy wkend ahead / need sub hookup advice
« Reply #1 on: 1 Sep 2006, 10:42 pm »
The simplest way to do this is to connect the digital output from your CD Player to your receiver and keep the analog outputs from your CD Player to your preamp.  Turn both on (but without HT bypass).  Set your receiver to whatever mode runs two main speakers and a sub.  For my Marantz, this is the steroe mode.  Now use your receiver volume to adjust the sub level to match the level of your main speakers.

The other option is to run RCA cables from your preamp to your sub.  If your preamp doesn't have two outputs, you need a Y splitter.  Preferrably run a R&L output from your preamp to R&L inputs in your sub, but it also works if you only run one cable from the R channel.

Stay dry.  I'm glad that storm fizzled out on us in Florida.

Corbin Johnson