Dave Brubeck has died

aragon63

• Dorian, Lydian, Phrygian,Jazz Minor

Mikeinsacramento

Re: Dave Brubeck has died
« Reply #1 on: 5 Dec 2012, 05:39 pm »
Sad truth about getting older.

I accompanied my Mom to the Tulsa Little Theater once a week for rehearsals in 1966.  Arriving home one night after rehearsal, we walked into the living room to the most beautiful sight I've ever seen.  My Dad was sitting on the floor listening to this tune through the Jensen speakers and Dynaco amp he had built.  His eyes were closed, a glass of bourbon in his hand, a look of serenity on his face.

While attending TJC in 1982, I bought tickets to a Brubeck show, and my Dad drove over from Little Rock to attend it with me.  I had just turned 21, and we shared our first beer together.

My Dad died about 3 years ago, but I still had these memories and as long as Brubeck was alive, the connection to my Dad still had life in it.  The sad thing about getting older and losing those close to you is, the connections you had to them start to disappear, one by one, until the loss starts to lose focus, and your connection loses grip. 

RIP, Dave.  Thanks for the memories.

tonyptony

« Reply #2 on: 5 Dec 2012, 05:48 pm »
RIP +1 old friend.

As I may have said in a different Brubeck post from a while ago, I'd seen him play at the Kimmel Center a number of years ago. Pehaps the single greatest jazz concert of the many that I've seen over the years. Sublime.

rklein

• My finest audio piece ever!!
« Reply #3 on: 5 Dec 2012, 05:49 pm »
Just listened last night to Take Five and Blue Rondo à la Turk from the Time Out Disc  in DSD.  I still remember my brother coming home with the Time Out Album in the 60's.  When he popped that record on our Zenith record player(yes, grasshoppers...Zenith) and I heard Take Five, I thought it was the coolest piece of music I had ever heard.

R.I.P. Dave.  You are loved and you will be missed.

Regards,

Randy

Phil

« Reply #4 on: 5 Dec 2012, 05:49 pm »
RIP

Saw him a few years ago at the Monterey Jazz Festival.  He walked slowly to the piano, but transcended once there.  The power of music to heal.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
« Reply #5 on: 5 Dec 2012, 06:00 pm »
His character also matched his musicianship. We need more people like him.

saisunil

« Reply #6 on: 5 Dec 2012, 06:03 pm »
He has left a mark on this planet ... an example worth emulating ...
Peace!

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #7 on: 5 Dec 2012, 06:32 pm »
Rest in peace, Dave.

medium jim

« Reply #8 on: 5 Dec 2012, 06:35 pm »
The world is a better place because of his music...RIP Mr. Brubeck

Jim

jjc1

« Reply #9 on: 5 Dec 2012, 06:39 pm »
   May he rest in peace. And I'm sure he is.

Andre2

« Reply #10 on: 5 Dec 2012, 06:44 pm »
I discovered him, his quartet, and his music this last two years; boy, what a good quality group they were! Sad to see him depart this earth.   :(

CSI

« Reply #11 on: 5 Dec 2012, 06:45 pm »
He was a fine musician and a true innovator. Also a good man and quite humble (see my post in the Big Band Jazz string about his reaction to getting on Time Magazine before Duke Ellington). His birthday was coming up tomorrow and a big party was planned. Sorry he didn't make the next round.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #12 on: 5 Dec 2012, 06:46 pm »
R.I.P. Dave.  What a good life, at times playing music with your sons, long married life, etc.

With all the DSD rips of his albums that I own, I still constantly go to the incredible live DBQ "At Carnegie Hall" redbook.  What a great story (and concert).  The band wasn't sure if they would be accepted into that portion of the music industry (West Coasters after all), and felt they didn't deserve the Carnegie Hall treatment, let alone wondered what the typical Carnegie hall patrons would think of their music.  Plus there was a newspaper strike and the band wooried the audience would be sparce.  not!  Then they started playing and the seemingly non-jazz audience already knew their music , and loved it!!!!  They were so taken aback, and they claim that is the moment they knew they had actually arrived (funny cuz the band was quite accomplished by then).  Dave, in one interview, claims set 2 of that concert is the best they'd ever played.

We will miss you Dave, but thanks to the music industry we have your music to fall back on forever.

doorman

« Reply #13 on: 5 Dec 2012, 06:47 pm »
He was a true innovator. He brought many hours of pleasure to us.
Thank you, Dave---
don

jermmd

« Reply #14 on: 5 Dec 2012, 08:01 pm »

golfugh

• Dead Can Dance - Into the Labyrinth
« Reply #15 on: 5 Dec 2012, 08:13 pm »
RIP Dave, listening to Time Out as I write
Mark

dB Cooper

« Reply #16 on: 5 Dec 2012, 08:24 pm »
Dave Brubeck was the first Jazz concert I ever saw, in around '75 at the Kennedy Center in WDC, with the Two Generations band and the lucky plus of Paul Desmond and Gerry Mulligan. RIP to a great performer who was still doing it until almost the very end. Carnegie Hall Concert or Time Out tonight for sure...

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #17 on: 5 Dec 2012, 08:25 pm »
Played Take Five as my solo in high school on the tenor sax. I thought Paul Desmond was amazing and their interplay nothing short of stunning. Thankfully his records will keep me company forever.

RIP,
Anand.

Mitsuman

• Diamond Tone Junkie
« Reply #18 on: 5 Dec 2012, 09:03 pm »
He and his sons played in the Fine Arts Center at Northeast Missouri State University (now Truman State) when I was a freshman there in 1981. I never really listened to, nor appreciated, jazz up to that time. I can say that seeing him live truly was a life changing experience, and I will never forget him or his music. Godspeed Mr. Brubeck, you were a very special human being.  :bowdown:

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #19 on: 5 Dec 2012, 09:14 pm »
What a long and wonderful career he had!  How many artists have spanned so many decades and generations yet remained relevant to all?  I greatly regret not having been able to see him play live, now I'll have to content myself with just the record.  R.I.P. Mr. Brubeck!