BIT-15 or BIT-20

rabbix

BIT-15 or BIT-20
« on: 18 Dec 2018, 10:28 pm »
Hi guys, newbie here.

I'm planning to get a BIT-15 or BIT-20 for my source components. Here are what I'm using:
Antelope 10M atomic clock
Antelope Trinity master clock
Prism Sound DA-2
Prism Sound Orpheus interface
Studer A727 CD player

I may connect the Studer 962 mix consoles and some vintage tube preamplifiers to the isolation transformer too.

My question is if the BIT-15 is good enough? Or the BIT-20 will sound better? I've read some people claimed that the BIT-20 is much better even with small load. Is that true?

Thanks,
Scott

TJ-Sully

Re: BIT-15 or BIT-20
« Reply #1 on: 19 Dec 2018, 01:13 am »
Hey Scott, welcome. Not sure i can help answer your question directly, as I've never tried the BIT15. But what i can add, is with the BIT20 in my system - it made a world of difference for the better. amazing product. feels like the music is in slow motion. The BIT20 will be the foundation of my system for years to come.   i hope!

but if you got the cash, go for bigger is better motto!  :thumb:

good luck

TJ

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #2 on: 19 Dec 2018, 02:10 am »
Hi Scott

I generally recommend the BIT 15 for source gear and smaller amplifiers but the BIT 20 for larger amplifiers.

james

john1970

« Reply #3 on: 19 Dec 2018, 02:15 am »
Hi Scott,

I finally made the move to a Torus toroidal isolation transformer based power system.  For my system I definitely went with the larger BIT20, but I am plugging in two mono amps (Bryston 7Bs) and a subwoofer into mine which demands much more current than the components you are plugging into the unit. 

My personal recommendation would be to go with the BIT20 over the BIT15 and that way if you every need the additional capacity (in terms of current supply) you have it. 

Best,

John

jtinto

« Reply #4 on: 19 Dec 2018, 09:39 pm »
Scott,

A BIT-15 will be plenty for the system you describe.
I have a BIT-15 in my home theatre running a big Denon receiver and two JL F-113 subs. The BIT-15 doesn't break a sweat.
In my 2-channel system I have a pair of BIT-15s running a pair of 7B3 amps and all of the source gear.

Cheers, John

rabbix

« Reply #5 on: 20 Dec 2018, 05:38 pm »
Thanks everyone. I believe I read someone who upgraded from BIT-15 to BIT-20 claimed it's a big improvement on sound quality even only with the source gears. That's why I'm asking here to see if anyone has a similar experience.

Thanks,
Scott

TJ-Sully

« Reply #6 on: 22 Dec 2018, 03:28 am »
go for it!  :thumb:

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #7 on: 22 Dec 2018, 03:15 pm »
Scott,
When in doubt, remember what Oscar Wilde wrote:

"Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess".
- Oscar Wilde

cheers and Happy Holidays

masi61

« Reply #8 on: 24 Dec 2018, 05:09 pm »
I am using the BIT 15 in my system that is comprised of: Bryston 4b SST2 power amp, 26 preamp with outboard power supply, the Bryton DAC 1 and a SONY XA 5400 ES CD/SACD player and a digital sound dock - i171 from ____ (I forget the brand) for my old iPod.

There was a concern that the BIT 15 might have been blocking the dynamics on my power hungry Thiel CS 3.4 speakers. I described a lack of bass response in my system to my local Bryton dealer (Hanson Audio in Dayton, Ohio) and he was unfamiliar with Bryston products (being new to the job). But he was a quick learner and listened to my concerns and typed what I said verbatim to Gary Dayton who later contacted me and said he was in my area and could come to my house to check it out.

What a great visit it was! We played around with my listening room and placed the speakers along the long wall of my rectangular living room (instead of the short wall as I had been experimenting with). The hollow sound disappeared and the bass in my listening position was restored. Gary did not feel that the BIT 15 was my problem. He substituted the 3B amp and we did an audition of some music with that and sure enough, I was able to hear an increase  in clarity from the "cubed" series amp. He thought that the 3B cubed would have the grunt to power the big Thiels. For now I'm keeping with my 4B SST 2 and once again enjoying it.

I have peace of mind with the BIT 15 that my front end digital electronics are protected from voltage fluctuations. I also have experienced the quietness of my system which is very quiet. I also noticed a slowing of the sound.

masi61

« Reply #9 on: 24 Dec 2018, 07:02 pm »
One other comment I would make about the difference between the BIT-15 and the BIT-20: the BIT 20 is at least $1,000 more expensive. It is also substantially heavier if I recall correctly. There was a previous post here stating that for larger amps to get the BIT 20 and request a special 15 amp to 20 amp power cord.

In an ideal world, I would love to have a dedicated 20 amp circuit for my living room and just run the BIT-20 with the stock 20 amp power cord.

As it stands though, I would say that the BIT-15 is quite massive on it's own. I'd like to see some of the reviewers in Stereophile look at more Bryston products, specifically would like to see a comparison between the Bryston power conditioners and the PS Audio and the Audioquest models specifically.

rabbix

« Reply #10 on: 25 Dec 2018, 07:49 pm »
Thanks everyone, Much appreciated.
Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!

john1970

« Reply #11 on: 19 Jan 2019, 08:17 pm »
Just installed a Bryston BIT20 in my system which replaces a one year old Audioquest Niagara 5000.  Overall, the Bryston BIT20 is quieter than the Audioquest; there was always a 60 Hz hum originating from the Audioquest that was audible from 8 ft away.  In contrast, the Bryston is dead silent.  I wished I would have purchased the Bryston originally, but I was concerned about moving a 80 lb unit.  The unit is heavy, but is is well balanced.  Once installed in the rack it won't be moved until I retire and move residence.  Overall, very impressed by the BIT20. 

Hooked up into the BIT20 are two 7B3 amps, preamp, DAC and source and one JL Audio F113 sub.  I have two subs, but the other sub is hooked into a separate outlet on a different circuit.  I don't plan on ever replacing the BIT20. 

John

drummermitchell

« Reply #12 on: 19 Jan 2019, 10:40 pm »
Have had my two Torus for at least 8 yrs and like you John they are staying.
The 60a run my 28s and 7bsst and my keeper the deadly Velodyne 1812 sub...WOOF WOOF.
20a(240v)runs two 7Bsst2,bdp-2,bda-2,Vac pre,Oppo,Jvc projector.

TJ-Sully

« Reply #13 on: 20 Jan 2019, 02:50 am »
Hooked up into the BIT20 are two 7B3 amps, preamp, DAC and source and one JL Audio F113 sub.  I have two subs, but the other sub is hooked into a separate outlet on a different circuit.  I don't plan on ever replacing the BIT20. 

John

right on john1970!    my BIT20 is the foundation of my system. rock solid unit, and never breaks a sweat. i finally got around to getting an electrician to install a 20a circuit in my listening room and i noticed a significant improvement immediately. faster and more powerful...
now i am trying to figure out whether i should get a fancy 20a power cable, or stick to the stock Bryston 20a cable.......

thoughts anyone of upgrading the power cable feeding the BIT20..?

cheers TJ

john1970

« Reply #14 on: 20 Jan 2019, 02:53 pm »
Hi TJ,

Right now I am using the stock power cord.  I'm a bit skeptic of the upgraded power cable.  I had a Nordost Red Dawn (14 Ga) on my Audioquest 5000 and I can say without a doubt that the Bryston with a stock cable is better solution.  If the purpose of the isolation transformer is to isolate the input from the output, why would a fancy power cable on the input make a difference? 

Given my current setup I would consider a 1m 12 Ga 20 amp cable, but my maximum cost would be $400-$500.  Would be willing to spend less.

Best,

John
« Last Edit: 20 Jan 2019, 04:43 pm by john1970 »