Monarchy USB Mods

dave_c

Monarchy USB Mods
« on: 14 Jul 2004, 08:28 pm »
Just wanted to write a quick update.  I haven't received it yet, but Steve has completed mods to my Monarchy DIP Upsampler.  The mod consisted of integrating a M-Audio Transit USB - TOSLINK converter into the Monarchy.  Basically he ripped out the TOSLINK parts and fed the SPDIF from the USB converter directly into the receiver chip on the Monarchy.  He also added a Superclock 1 (couldn't afford the Superclock2) and upgraded the PS as well as other mods.

Here's a quote from the email he sent to me today:

the Monarchy is complete - Superclock is in there now (it needed it) and the output looks very stable and jitter-free.  Now it's the correct voltage and matched perfectly to 75 ohms.  Be sure to use a 1m minimum length 75 ohm cable with this.  I just tried it out on my  reference system using my laptop.  Really excellent.  Sounds identical or maybe even better than my best transport.  I am feeding my Turbomodded P-3A DAC with it.  No hum, no noise, very nice indeed.

As you can guess I'm excited to hear this.  Just need the Panny to get finished and I'll be back in business.

sunshinedawg

Monarchy USB Mods
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jul 2004, 07:02 am »
Ok, when you first posted about the transit and the DIP combo, I was really intrigued.  Now that Steve at EA is saying that it is equal to or bests his modded 7700, I am salivating.

Using a PC as a source seems like such a natural thing to me.  Everybodys got a puter, just attach an external sound card that has low jitter and a great clock.  I guess that card really doesn't exist or i couldn't find it or it just wouldn't be audiophile quality anyway.

I kept on reading about how to check if the sonica/transit was bit-perfect over on head-fi.  I was never able to get my sonica to play a dts or DD wav on my xr45.  Did you ever get this to work?  I tried every driver and player(with every plugin) combo I could think of including the 1.2.05 driver.

I am anxiously awaiting your review of the modded DIP.  You aren't anywhere near the Denver area are you?  :mrgreen:

Sean

dave_c

Monarchy USB Mods
« Reply #2 on: 10 Aug 2004, 01:21 am »
Well, I got the Monarchy and it looks cool.  I took off the cover to take a look inside and its amazing how well the superclock and Transit board fit in there.  Steve's work is impeccible.  

I wish I could tell you how it sounds, but my current receiver is not 24/96 compatible and you can't defeat the upsampling on the monarchy.  The Panny should be here Wednesday so I'll be in business then.

For now, I have Foobar on repeat breaking in the Monarchy.

sunshinedawg

Monarchy USB Mods
« Reply #3 on: 10 Aug 2004, 01:53 am »
I believe there is a chip inside the Monarchy that will let you switch between 48 and 96 upsampling.  Not sure if that will help you or not!

Jay S

Monarchy USB Mods
« Reply #4 on: 10 Aug 2004, 10:30 am »
Interesting!  One cool application would be to play music from iTunes on the home stereo.  I really like the Party Mix function on iTunes!

dave_c

Monarchy USB Mods
« Reply #5 on: 10 Aug 2004, 02:23 pm »
Not using iTunes.  Foobar2k which does have a random feature.  Not sure if the Pary feature in iTunes does a more "intelligent" random or not.  But that's precisely the reason I had the Monarchy modded.  Performance and features.

tubesguy

Monarchy USB Mods
« Reply #6 on: 24 Aug 2004, 03:56 pm »
Hey dave -

Could you update us on how this thing is working out for you? Thanks - Pat

joeling39

Monarchy USB Mods
« Reply #7 on: 25 Aug 2004, 01:29 pm »
I am interested too as I have just taken a leap of faith & sent my Apogee big Ben to Steve for a similar modification.

Regards,
Joe Ling

dave_c

Monarchy USB Mods
« Reply #8 on: 25 Aug 2004, 07:52 pm »
Check out my review in critic's circle:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=12658

It's for the Panasonic and Monarchy together since I don't have any components which would allow me to use one without the other.  Maybe I'll be able to comment more when we do a little shootout up in nor cal.