[size=18][b]Ping Pong Ball tweak?[/b][/size]

Bosh

« on: 7 Dec 2003, 06:28 am »
Over on Audio Asylum, I posted a question about the plus or minus (or outright insanity) of adding (somehow) a phase plug to wizzer cone Fostex drivers.  Got a reply from Moray, who mentioned what I'll call the Ping Pong tweak ('cause "PP Tweak" doesn't sound right :D ).

I'm waiting to hear back from him, but in the mean time, I managed to turn up a few, slightly more detailed posts by Moray concerning this idea on the Single Driver Forum.

From what I can understand, one suspends a ping pong ball directly in front of the wizzer cone (first with string or tape, as a listening test).  Then, if you like the effects, a more permanent (but still removable) solution involves making a wire frame to hold the balls  :oops: , which itself is attached to the mounting bracket with magnets.

The result is claimed to be smoother highs, improved soundstage and a wider sweet spot for better off-axis listening.

Anybody tried this?

One thing it's hard to get excited about is that wire frame notion.  Aren't there certain adhesives--like the rubbery stuff used for automotive weather seals, or even removable caulk--that would allow you to place the ball directly inside the wizzer, still leaving the ball removable and the drivers undamaged?

TIA!

Bosh

« Reply #1 on: 7 Dec 2003, 06:45 am »
DOOhh!

The MOMENT I hit "submit" I realized that, even if there WERE a harmless way to adhere the ball to the center of the wizzer, it would then move right along with the driver!  And that wouldn't be a "phase plug", would it.

More like a pregnant dust cap.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #2 on: 7 Dec 2003, 01:10 pm »
So is the ping pong ball held away from the whizzer?  If so, how far?

(I never cared for whizzers in the first place.  I'll save you the sermon why for another time.)

Just go for one of the the "3" series speakers instead.   :D

Bosh

« Reply #3 on: 7 Dec 2003, 02:15 pm »
Not really sure.  Moray's going to send me a sketch.  But I would imagine, because at least for the test it's hanging by a thread from the the top of the enclosure, it's close to touching the whizzer.

If I like what I hear with the ping pong, maybe I'll try a bowling ball.

:lol: