Salk speakers with tubes or solid state amplifiers

artofaudio

I’ve heard some great combinations with both types of amps.  I’m not sure which I like best.  I borrowed a Jeff Rowland 125 amp which may be the best combo with the BE-1 I’ve heard. I’ve tried the following which were good too.

AVA SET 120
Cary si3002d
Cary SLI-80
Benchmark AHB2

The higher power amps transform the Salks into a different animal.  I bet they would sound great with the DVA 750 monos. I can’t try everything, so I’m hoping to get responses to great combinations.

Rshorb

Re: Salk speakers with tubes or solid state amplifiers
« Reply #1 on: 10 Dec 2023, 04:50 am »
I’ve used many types of amps with my Salks. McGary Audio Sa1 & 2. Schiit audio ( own pairs of all of them ) Wells audio majestic. And Hypex class D 250 rms to 700rms. I love the class d stuff for my Home Theater. But if I had to choose one amp for just music listening. It would be McGary Audio. His amps and Salks just play so well together its pure bliss.Its no surprise Jim has one in his own system on his Bepure3’s. In my experience a SA1 with the Bepure2’s or 1’s is more than enough power to hit over 100db.

Bubba12

« Reply #2 on: 11 Dec 2023, 08:41 pm »
I use a PrimaLuna 400 integrated with my Song3 and it is perfect in my opinion.

rmdtexas

« Reply #3 on: 11 Dec 2023, 10:38 pm »
On the SS side, i use PS Audio M700s with my Song3 BeATs and love them.   I started with the PSA S300 but was not happy.  The M700s seem to have better grip and control of the lower end and a more balanced mid-range than the S300.

i thought about trying a Rowland 125 but have not pulled the trigger.   I was leaning towards a pair of them. 

Boybees

« Reply #4 on: 11 Dec 2023, 11:08 pm »
Currently I am powering my BePure2s with a solid-state (Class D) amp from PS Audio. That combination sounds fantastic. I'm about to add a McGary SA1-E to this mix, based on the many anecdotal reports on the synergy between this amp and the BePure2s. I will keep the PS Audio in my system and use it for background listening, and the McGary for critical listening (assuming I actually like it better than the PS Audio, which seems likely).

Rocket

« Reply #5 on: 12 Dec 2023, 01:44 pm »
Hi Guys,

I bought the best preamplifier/amplifier combination I could afford an SST Ambrosia (with phono stage) and Ampzilla 2000 mono blocks. I actually bought the Ampzilla's for the Salk Sound HT3's but unfortunately due to a change in circumstances I changed houses and the speakers didn't fit well in my room.

Recently, I purchased a pair of Bepure 2's and they fabulous with the SST combination. I'd suggest that if money wasn't an issue you could try the mcgary audio which Jim used or alternatively AVA Hifi have a 30 day return deal which might be ideal for you.

I'm not much of a tube guy so I can't comment any further.

Cheers Rod

Beatlebum

« Reply #6 on: 19 Dec 2023, 02:32 pm »

Love the Simaudio 340i D3PX with the BePure 1 monitors.