BePure 2 Crossover

BrandonB

BePure 2 Crossover
« on: 12 Sep 2023, 02:15 am »
I was looking at some BePure 2's in the used market.  I have Never heard the speakers in person but I have listened to some speakers with the purifi driver.  My question is does anyone know what parts are used in the crossovers for these speakers? 

jsalk

Re: BePure 2 Crossover
« Reply #1 on: 12 Sep 2023, 02:25 pm »
Brandon -

Our standard crossover parts are Solen caps, Mills/Vishay resistors, and air core inductors.  All crossovers are point-to-point hand-wired - no PCB boards.  Customers have always had the option to upgrade parts such as capacitors.  We have done many custom crossovers over the years.  Since we manufacture the speakers, we have an opportunity to do something no customer can do.  We can compare speakers with our standard crossovers with speakers with "upgraded" crossovers, side-by-side in real-time.  The differences, if any at all, were minuscule at best. Best of all, the crossovers were designed by Dennis Murphy.

I hope this helps.

- Jim

Rshorb

« Reply #2 on: 13 Sep 2023, 12:23 pm »
I would snatch that pair up in a heartbeat. My Bepure2’s are one of my favorite speaker Jim made. You will not regret it.

DannyBadorine

« Reply #3 on: 13 Sep 2023, 09:17 pm »
Brandon -

Our standard crossover parts are Solen caps, Mills/Vishay resistors, and air core inductors.  All crossovers are point-to-point hand-wired - no PCB boards.  Customers have always had the option to upgrade parts such as capacitors.  We have done many custom crossovers over the years.  Since we manufacture the speakers, we have an opportunity to do something no customer can do.  We can compare speakers with our standard crossovers with speakers with "upgraded" crossovers, side-by-side in real-time.  The differences, if any at all, were minuscule at best. Best of all, the crossovers were designed by Dennis Murphy.

I hope this helps.

- Jim

This is a fantastic response. Thanks

Mudslide

« Reply #4 on: 13 Sep 2023, 10:42 pm »
There are two pair for sale at usaudiomart.

Rocket

« Reply #5 on: 14 Sep 2023, 11:56 am »
Hi,

This pair are a bargain and the seller is open to 'reasonable' offers. I'd be say 'no' to my wife and I'd be keeping the speakers... perhaps that is the reason why I'm single...

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/650018942-salk-be-pure-2-gloss-natural-curly-cherry/

Cheers Rod

Rshorb

« Reply #6 on: 14 Sep 2023, 04:07 pm »
I’m having a hard time not picking them up !

rmdtexas

« Reply #7 on: 14 Sep 2023, 05:47 pm »
i'm just glad they are not closer to me or i'd be tempted to replace or supplement my BeATs

Mudslide

« Reply #8 on: 14 Sep 2023, 08:23 pm »
Haha....yeah, I had serious thoughts about getting that cheaper pair before mentioning it here, above.  And then my wife brought me back to (her) reality.   :oops:

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #9 on: 15 Sep 2023, 12:04 pm »
Local sale only or I would be extremely tempted!!

George

BrandonB

« Reply #10 on: 16 Sep 2023, 01:14 am »
This is a fantastic response. Thanks

I wish I had the opportunity to listen to these speakers.  I had listened to some high end bookshelf speakers at Lone Star Audio Fest this year. They had the Purifi woofer and Danny Richie's Neo 3 tweeter with a passive radiator.  The speaker boxes where exceptionally made and looked beautiful and the speakers sounded great but the price was way out of my budget.  I have heard the beryllium tweeter is very revealing and definitely reference but can be harsh.  Can you tell me how this tweeter compares to Danny's Neo 3 tweeter.  I have been looking at some of his open baffle speakers and was about to pull the trigger but these sound very interesting also.

DannyBadorine

« Reply #11 on: 16 Sep 2023, 04:35 am »
I wish I had the opportunity to listen to these speakers.  I had listened to some high end bookshelf speakers at Lone Star Audio Fest this year. They had the Purifi woofer and Danny Richie's Neo 3 tweeter with a passive radiator.  The speaker boxes where exceptionally made and looked beautiful and the speakers sounded great but the price was way out of my budget.  I have heard the beryllium tweeter is very revealing and definitely reference but can be harsh.  Can you tell me how this tweeter compares to Danny's Neo 3 tweeter.  I have been looking at some of his open baffle speakers and was about to pull the trigger but these sound very interesting also.

I'm not really the guy to ask but I will still answer. Ha!  I have made several speakers with a version of the Neo 3 (there are several and they have more similarities than differences).  This is a planar magnetic tweeter and it is wildly different than a beryllium tweeter.  But, if they are implemented correctly then you get a similar result (flat frequency response, low distortion, excellent and consistent off-axis response).  Either one can sound really good and accurate.  I have heard GR speakers and I have used them in my designs.  They are astoundingly good for the money. I have heard this beryllium tweeter and it is only harsh if implemented incorrectly.  When used correctly then it's transparent.  The GR speakers are also very transparent because they are well designed.  What kind of music do you listen to and what is important to you when it comes to your sound system?

Hydro

« Reply #12 on: 16 Sep 2023, 03:37 pm »
BrandonB, if you are in the DFW area you should go by Toby Speakers and listen to his Purify speakers. They use the Be tweeter and sound amazing. I wouldn't post this here but Salks aren't available anymore.