Introducing myself

beatarmy

Introducing myself
« on: 7 Oct 2021, 09:31 pm »
Hello audio friends - I've enjoyed audio in many forms since college days way back in the 70s.  Peaked too early, starting with a Sansui AU-4900 integrated and a pair of JBL 4311 monitors. Nirvana, save for a little high-volume fatigue.  Fast forward many years to learning what WAF/SAF means - which at one point meant Bose cubes, the only time I ever considered divorce ggrrrrr...   Currently have an Arcam AVR driving Paradigm Studio 10s for the 2 channel portion of my dual purpose system.  Teamed with REL T7i sub.  Front end is Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra, streaming TIDAL into a Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital that serves as DAC.  Not any dream system, but it sounds pretty good, and my wife can live with these tiny things in her house.  I listen to a pretty eclectic mix of jazz, blues, R&B, yacht rock.  A little country, a little classical, no metal.

Love to fish offshore, love to fly fish in streams, hike, short backpacking trips.  College football means Navy (hence my screen name here), TCU, and ASU, with a smattering of USC due to proximity.  Love to cook, love to eat.  Bourbon is my friend.  7 kids, 8 grandkids, bourbon would be your friend too!  3 sons getting married in the next 4 months (COVID compression!).  Got that 8th grandkid out of the quarantine too.  Been in 49 states, missing only Arkansas.  Lived in CA, NM, MD, CT, RI, MT, LA, OH, and wound up back in CA.  Just bought a second home in Arizona.   

As Austin Powers would say, that's me in a nutshell.   Looking forward to talking with y'all about building the dream system in the new house.

Best,

JG

rick_reynolds40

Re: Introducing myself
« Reply #1 on: 8 Oct 2021, 02:15 pm »
Welcome!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #2 on: 8 Oct 2021, 02:35 pm »
Welcome!

Start with a decent room, not squarish or small, and well insulated.  Read Floyd Toole's "Sound Reproduction" (either edition).  We built 16 years ago, away from my family, kids, and job so I got a mancave.  Followed Fibonacci ratios (8ft x 13ft x 21ft), well insulated including exterior insulated fiberglass door with weather seal and flexible/insulated/lined ductwork.  Ran dedicated circuits and grounding for audio while I was at it. 

Then shop for loudspeakers that suit your tastes and fit your room.  Next find an amp that matches up with your loudspeakers (Salk has one).  Or just look for active monitors.  If you're going with a whole new system consider "all in one" active monitors like KEF LS50W v.2 or Buchardt A500.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3 on: 8 Oct 2021, 02:46 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC JG   :thumb:  Are you looking at a specific model of Jim's speakers for an upgrade ?

Hydro

« Reply #4 on: 8 Oct 2021, 03:19 pm »
Welcome to the circles. If the waf is still a thing, Salks are the way to go. Let her pick the finish and she will be invested. Here is some good info on room sizing ect.
http://salfordacoustics.co.uk/?content=best

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 8 Oct 2021, 04:44 pm »
Welcome!

beatarmy

« Reply #6 on: 9 Oct 2021, 07:45 pm »
Thanks guys.  JLM, concur with your elephant theory wrt to the room.  The room I'll be working on is large and irregular,  with very few parallel surfaces - even has differing ceiling heights throughout the space.    It's not fibonacci/golden mean, but its bones are better than most.  Ran a dedicated 20 amp circuit during construction. My struggle will be with too many hard surfaces, but I can get some ceiling treatments in I think, rugs, and plenty of cushy furniture.  All the glass (and there is a lot) can be covered with window treatments.  It won't be on par with yours, but I think can be made better than most.  Would love to read one of Dr. Toole's books - thank you for that suggestion. 

Art and Hydro, yep the reason I picked this circle is because I've been drooling over Jim's work for a long time.  I love the customization and quality level, and every single thing I've ever read is positive.  Had an email chat with him, and he's as gracious as everyone has noted.  After 40 years in sales, I prefer to associate with folks who are kind.  And I appreciate the suggestion to involve my wife with build choices. 

I have yet to hear a pair of Salks, but I've been sorting through the circle to see where folks might be that I can ask for an audition.  Will get there in a few months - after the weddings!  Based on hearing a RAAL tweeter in a brick and mortar store, keeping the footprint smaller, and on my budget, I'm leaning towards Song Tower RT, Supercharged Song Tower, or Veracity ST.  With either of the first 2 I think adding a sub would be needed because the room is large.  Probably help even the Veracity STs. 

Thanks for the warm welcome guys.  Looking forward to chatting as I slowly move forward.

JG