Schitt Turntable

cso_fan

Schitt Turntable
« on: 4 Sep 2019, 08:59 pm »
This could be interesting.https://www.schiit.com/products/sol

Sam-fi

Re: Schitt Turntable
« Reply #1 on: 5 Sep 2019, 12:27 pm »
I've been waiting for the Sol for what seems all year! Let's get a listening impressions thread going.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #2 on: 5 Sep 2019, 12:36 pm »
Potentially interesting.  Not especially a fan of the company, but we'll see what they can do with vinyl.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #3 on: 5 Sep 2019, 12:43 pm »
  Well price is VG. Is this not what many people wanted inexpensive gear ?? From soup to nuts . Just gotta like the soup. :|

charles

displayname

« Reply #4 on: 5 Sep 2019, 12:57 pm »
It's certainly creating a lot of buzz. I'm willing to bet we see reviews fairly quickly after RMAF.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #5 on: 5 Sep 2019, 01:09 pm »
It has a high end design and features just looking at it.  I will get to see it and hear it at RMAF.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #6 on: 5 Sep 2019, 01:35 pm »
Specs are fairly good, design looks interesting, the Rube Goldberg tonearm design gives some pause regarding durability.  I think everyone here has been saying we'd like to know more, like how does it sound.  A bold effort showing functionality over appearence, we've seen these before and they usually make a stir then fade away.

mick wolfe

« Reply #7 on: 5 Sep 2019, 04:45 pm »
Specs are fairly good, design looks interesting, the Rube Goldberg tonearm design gives some pause regarding durability.  I think everyone here has been saying we'd like to know more, like how does it sound.  A bold effort showing functionality over appearence, we've seen these before and they usually make a stir then fade away.

The same could be said for Well Tempered in regard to functionality over appearance. However in this case, they haven't  faded away. In fact, I'll probably fade away before my Amadeus does. In regard to Schitt, I own 3 of their products and I'm impressed with what they bring to the table. That said, until we get some long term listening impressions, it's anybody's guess what the Sol has to offer. My "guess" is that it will be an excellent value, (as usual) but only time will tell.

Sam-fi

« Reply #8 on: 5 Sep 2019, 04:51 pm »
I'm a big fan of schiit's multibit DAC quite the stunner for the price. I also have the lyr 3 same could be said about it's quality as well, it seems to drive my Mr. Speakers AEon opens with a synergy that has to be heard it's so good.  :thumb:

wushuliu

« Reply #9 on: 5 Sep 2019, 05:56 pm »
It's going to sell out immediately. It looks like a 2k+ table, and Schiit is no Fluance or whatever budget company is cranking out
tables these days. This is absolutely going to hit VPI, Rega, and Pro-ject where it hurts. Good.
But on the other hand, it's almost certain to have kinks that will need to be worked out in a revision.
I hope it can remain in production for at least a year since I won't consider getting one before then.

Who would have thought turntables would have come back so hard?

FireGuy

« Reply #10 on: 5 Sep 2019, 06:24 pm »

I own Schiit gear (amps) and have been impressed with their quality, durability, price and function.  I've made positive recommendations taboot.

The train has NOT left the station, and yet we're saying there's no staying power? 

Let's take a breath and allow the evals to begin.  No one has a crystal ball.

rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: 5 Sep 2019, 06:30 pm »
  Why would one want to "hurt" VPI, Rega or Pro-ject ?   :scratch:

charles

wushuliu

« Reply #12 on: 5 Sep 2019, 06:33 pm »
  Why would one want to "hurt" VPI, Rega or Pro-ject ?   :scratch:
charles

Please put in context of the sentence:  "This is absolutely going to hit VPI, Rega, and Pro-ject where it hurts."
I didn't say anyone "want(s) to hurt" anyone.

rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #13 on: 5 Sep 2019, 06:49 pm »
Please put in context of the sentence:  "This is absolutely going to hit VPI, Rega, and Pro-ject where it hurts. Good"
I didn't say anyone "want(s) to hurt" anyone.

Will do. Guess I did not understand "Good"

charles

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #14 on: 5 Sep 2019, 06:50 pm »
When a company brings high performance down to budget or mid priced levels, we all benefit.  iFi did it a few years ago with DACs, seems like Schiit is going to do it now with turntables.  Excellent news, and I hope the new table sounds as good as it looks.

wushuliu

« Reply #15 on: 5 Sep 2019, 06:54 pm »
Will do. Guess I did not understand "Good"

charles

As in the consumer benefits from competition in a marketplace where a few companies dominated price points for several decades.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #16 on: 6 Sep 2019, 10:58 am »
I own Schiit gear (amps) and have been impressed with their quality, durability, price and function.  I've made positive recommendations taboot.

The train has NOT left the station, and yet we're saying there's no staying power? 

Let's take a breath and allow the evals to begin.  No one has a crystal ball.

You make good points and yes, we'll most assuredly have to wait and see.  What I meant about fading away is the general model of an electronics company releasing a turntable.  No matter how good they may be they're orphans, nothing like it in the lineup, and they fade away because they don't get the attention needed for a product to survive in a company's product line, NAD is a good example from a similar company.  Schitt may very well break this mold, they've been trying to break things in the industry for a while now.

mick wolfe

« Reply #17 on: 6 Sep 2019, 05:04 pm »
Well, it's encouraging to see " 6 years of R&D " in that promo.  Doesn't appear to be something they just decided to "rush" to the market. We'll just have to wait and see. Could be a real benchmark in entry level tables or .....

rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #18 on: 6 Sep 2019, 05:53 pm »
  Lots of Schitt going around these days. Couldn't resist :P

charles

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #19 on: 6 Sep 2019, 06:01 pm »
Just watched the entire 18 mi setup video,,,boy does that bring back memories!!

The only thing I would like to see improved is how the anti-skating is implemented.

Other than that it looks like it should do the job...maybe not as "polished" as some higher dollar stuff is....

Some of us really like to pay for the heavy duty aluminum billet stuff... :D

This is a Mike Moffat dream. Mr Vinyl at Schitt....and he has done wonders with his MB dacs...and his new Unison USB interface (which is AWESOME).

So I would give this a try for sure if I was into Vinyl and liked to tinker.....

Oh gosh I had a Phase Linear anti-pop and tick "box" just to get rid of those nasty things!!

:D :D :D

Alex