Capital Audiofest "CAF" 2018

dB Cooper

Re: Capital Audiofest "CAF" 2018
« Reply #20 on: 28 Oct 2018, 06:24 pm »
Glad to see the seminars happening. Also glad Salk will be represented. Hope they bring some of their new models. Wish Van Alstine would come back. (I don't think they're too interested in this particular show.) Most interested in the Ohms, which I've never heard as I mentioned at the top. A few other things here and there I'm curious about. Doesn't seem like there is a dedicated headphone area this year, which is unfortunate if true. I think someone may be bringing the Orbit TT which I'd be curious about if true. Why, I don't know as I have no plans to return to vinyl, but I'm interested none the less.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #21 on: 28 Oct 2018, 06:34 pm »
Three different people will tell us how to clean vinyl.

dB Cooper

« Reply #22 on: 28 Oct 2018, 06:50 pm »
LOL

Seems like CAF is becoming a more 'Real-Audiophiles-Spin-Vinyl' show the last couple years.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #23 on: 28 Oct 2018, 07:36 pm »
LOL

Seems like CAF is becoming a more 'Real-Audiophiles-Spin-Vinyl' show the last couple years.

Real music lovers spin vinyl. Period.

rodge827

« Reply #24 on: 28 Oct 2018, 08:50 pm »

Oh please  :roll:

OzarkTom

« Reply #25 on: 28 Oct 2018, 10:31 pm »

Maybe they are just trying to impress the youth. MY 15 Year old grandson wants a turntable for Christmas. He collects the LP's that cost $25 and more. Many of us baby boomers that has owned TT most of our lives are dying off.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #26 on: 28 Oct 2018, 10:39 pm »
Everybody has vinyl. Was in a Target the other night and even they have a few albums.

dB Cooper

« Reply #27 on: 29 Oct 2018, 12:33 am »

I don't miss it one bit.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #28 on: 29 Oct 2018, 12:14 pm »
I really like the conveinence of digital, either CD or computer, and enjoy the sound quality of good recordings in those formats, but there's just a magic with lp that you can't get with digital.  I tire of all the crap that goes with lps, I don't enjoy the cleaning, cartridge set up, ticks and pops, etc. but I love the music.  I actually hauled a couple of lps around CAF one year and hardly played them, most displays wanted my flash drive.  There's more turntables nowadays, but not overwhelming in my opinion, others more into digital only rigs may disagree.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #29 on: 29 Oct 2018, 04:55 pm »
I really like the conveinence of digital, either CD or computer, and enjoy the sound quality of good recordings in those formats, but there's just a magic with lp that you can't get with digital.  I tire of all the crap that goes with lps, I don't enjoy the cleaning, cartridge set up, ticks and pops, etc. but I love the music.  I actually hauled a couple of lps around CAF one year and hardly played them, most displays wanted my flash drive.  There's more turntables nowadays, but not overwhelming in my opinion, others more into digital only rigs may disagree.

If I bring music, I'm gonna wanna hear it played.

Are you coming? Have a seat for you at dinner.

dB Cooper

« Reply #30 on: 29 Oct 2018, 05:04 pm »
I try to be mindful of the fact that others want to hear their music too, so I have a few short 'reference' tracks I know well. (I've actually discovered some great new-to-me music at the show.) I have burned CDs in the past and brought them; not sure if I'll do that this year. Will bring a flash drive with a few of those on it.

Don_S

« Reply #31 on: 29 Oct 2018, 05:37 pm »

Seriously?  :nono:

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #32 on: 29 Oct 2018, 05:55 pm »
C.A.F. vendors will be selling vinyl. Some have a few CDs, but crates and crates and crates and crates of records. VPI sponsors C.A.F. by having co-branded slipmats to give away. Seen cheap turntable/system get given away. Other turntable vendors there as well. Gotta include the reel-to-reel  as well. Cassette tape coming back.

Analogue rules.

dB Cooper

« Reply #33 on: 29 Oct 2018, 07:14 pm »
Cassette tape coming back.

I miss cassettes possibly even less than vinyl.
I guess we'll know they're really back when we start seeing spun-out tapes all over parking lots again.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #34 on: 29 Oct 2018, 07:48 pm »
Hey Guys you can bring CDs to Lamm/ Aqua/ Arion room 521. See ya there.

charles

dB Cooper

« Reply #35 on: 29 Oct 2018, 10:27 pm »
Any truly visitor-friendly room should be prepared to play from a disc, stick, or LP. (I exclude rooms like VPI; they are a turntable company after all.)

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #36 on: 29 Oct 2018, 10:59 pm »
Any truly visitor-friendly room should be prepared to play from a disc, stick, or LP. (I exclude rooms like VPI; they are a turntable company after all.)

Pear Audio is turntables so vinyl only.

HAL is servers but he is DIY so he needs to supply a turntable.

Triode Pete

• Industry Contributor
  • www.TriodeWireLabs.com
    • Triode Wire Labs - Affordable Audiophile Cables
« Reply #37 on: 30 Oct 2018, 12:29 am »

In addition to the Frederick Room with Pass Labs and Sound Insight's Steve Rabitz, contributing AC member "Triode Pete" will have his entire Triode Wire Labs cable loom in Room 316, with Volti Loudspeakers and BorderPatrol Tube Audio Electronics.

Come join us for some cold libations or the finest Kentucky Bourbon or Single Malt Scotch Whisky as you become "Comfortably Numb" with some of the best sound reproduction available!

Have fun!

Cheers!

Pete

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #38 on: 30 Oct 2018, 12:35 am »

In addition to the Frederick Room with Pass Labs and Sound Insight's Steve Rabitz, contributing AC member "Triode Pete" will have his entire Triode Wire Labs cable loom in Room 316, with Volti Loudspeakers and BorderPatrol Tube Audio Electronics.

Come join us for some cold libations or the finest Kentucky Bourbon or Single Malt Scotch Whisky as you become "Comfortably Numb" with some of the best sound reproduction available!

Have fun!

Cheers!

Pete

We want T-shirts.

Triode Pete

• Industry Contributor
  • www.TriodeWireLabs.com
    • Triode Wire Labs - Affordable Audiophile Cables
« Reply #39 on: 30 Oct 2018, 12:37 am »
We want T-shirts.

XXL, 100% cotton... shrinkable, if you need to...  :duh: