Streaming device vs smart tv?

keenween

Streaming device vs smart tv?
« on: 16 Oct 2023, 04:56 pm »
I am buying a new tv this year, my previous tv was a smart tv and worked ok, but a little cumbersome to operate and browse with apps and built in UI.

Is there a streaming device to plug into a tv that you guys would recommend over the smart tv route? I want something with a good wifi antenna and is easy to use for my wife and kids.

BobM

Re: Streaming device vs smart tv?
« Reply #1 on: 16 Oct 2023, 07:50 pm »
We found ot that payuing a bunch for a smart TV is a good idea, but only for the picture quality. No, there's not much being broadcast in 4K but the quality of the overall picture with a TV of that resolution is better than a non-4K TV.

As for the usability of the app browsing, just get a Firestick or Roku. Their interaction with streaming apps is far far superior to the cumbersome menu and slow response of the smart TV itself.

jpm

« Reply #2 on: 16 Oct 2023, 08:43 pm »
Roku or Apple TV would be my top choices.

For Roku, it's their core business, they do a great job and I've found Roku TV integration much more user friendly than Android TV integration, of which I have both available but only use Roku.

Apple have a great interface, they support their hardware for a long time, if you already use Apple devices it's a no brainer and you can (currently) save $20 from the Apple refurbished store. My biggest gripe with the Apple devices is the slippery remote control which benefits from a (cheap on Amazon) silicone cover to stop it sliding between couch cushions!

A friend of mine swears by the nVidia Shield, though I believe it's getting quite long in the tooth as well as being one of the most expensive. It runs Android, as do many other no-name streaming boxes, so if that's your preferred environment it may be worth a look.

VinceT

« Reply #3 on: 16 Oct 2023, 10:04 pm »
Jailbreak a Firestick

Doublej

« Reply #4 on: 16 Oct 2023, 11:31 pm »
The best user experience IMHO is the Apple TV but it is $130+.

If you want AirPlay support, the Roku would be next in line. Unless you want Dolby Vision I would stay away from their sticks unless you are certain the stick can be plugged directly into the back of your TV as they don't include an extension cable with them.

I like the Fire TV stick better than Roku due to the Amazon Voice remote capabilities but it does not support Airplay.

If you are a hardcore Android guy look at nvidia Shield or a Chromecast with Google TV.  I don't think these have AirPlay support.

newzooreview

« Reply #5 on: 17 Oct 2023, 12:25 am »
Apple TV has the best privacy. The box itself does not generate ads or suggest anything to watch (also an ad). It leaves you alone to focus on your stuff. All the streaming services have an app for the Apple TV, so there aren't any limitations in that respect.

Roku is a cesspool of ads, always trying to push a certain show or network or whatever they are paid to push, and they harvest and sell data about everything you do.

keenween

« Reply #6 on: 17 Oct 2023, 12:36 am »
Thank you so much for all the help! I will look into the recommendations, it is good to get some real feedback on what works well for people.

morganc

« Reply #7 on: 17 Oct 2023, 09:25 am »
Apple TV is my preferred option.

Nick B

« Reply #8 on: 17 Oct 2023, 06:05 pm »
Switched to the Apple TV 4K box from Roku and glad I did

1969jets

« Reply #9 on: 30 Nov 2023, 03:05 am »
We ended up with a hybrid.  The OSs and performance of the latest generation of mid/high end Smart TVs are quite good.  We have LG and as Sony OLEDS an the performance of the interfaces is quite good.  LGs OS is OK. It's certainly usable.  Our Sony is Android based and is very good.  That said, we ended up using streaming boxes as well because not all apps are available on all Smart Platforms.  For example, ESPN is not on LG's platform.  So if you want the ESPN app, for example for ESPN+, you need a streaming box that has an ESPN app.  As another example, we wanted the Bally Sports app.  It's not available on the Sony or LG platforms.  So, we use the 4K MAX Firesticks with both TVs to get the apps that aren't natively supported.