Finished - Over the Top LS9 Build

hesster

Finished - Over the Top LS9 Build
« on: 26 Apr 2010, 11:52 pm »
Been at it for a few winters here in Michigan building these.  Followed Danny's plans, with a "few" modifications.  Sealed every piece of the MDF, and beveled all holes in the braces.  Went to Oakwood Veneer here in Michigan and had the chance to be picky in choosing (4) matched sheets of 22m Premium South American Rosewood Veneer.  Not cheap stuff when you buy that much.  I spent a full weekend matching the Veneer patterns before cutting and glueing.  Used over a gallon of poly (with endless sanding one side up at a time to get a mirror finish), and used No-Rez through-out which I table sawed for a custom fit. No Rez buggers everywhere! Crossovers are in their own Veneered enclosures topped with Evonic Flourescent Plate Glass Tops, Platinum Caps, Bi-Wiring, and internal shielded LED Light strips - after all this stuff is too pretty to stuff inside the speaker box.  I will mount the crossovers on top of each speaker for a real treat when looking down on them from the upstairs balcony.  Yes - the one pic has the speaker upside down so I could center the bases - ever try to lift one of these monsters by yourself?  Ran out of wire which I just ordered from Danny, but should have them up and running soon.  Sure hope they sound as good as they are looking!  More pics will follow.

« Last Edit: 9 May 2010, 06:19 pm by hesster »

TrungT

Re: Sneak Peek - Over the Top LS9 Build
« Reply #1 on: 27 Apr 2010, 12:01 am »
 :drool:
WOW
 :thumb: :notworthy:

Bear

« Reply #2 on: 27 Apr 2010, 12:02 am »
WOW!!!!

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #3 on: 27 Apr 2010, 12:08 am »
FANTASTIC!! :green: :thumb: :notworthy:

wshuff

« Reply #4 on: 27 Apr 2010, 04:26 pm »
Those are beautiful.  Nice work! :thumb:

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #5 on: 27 Apr 2010, 04:55 pm »
 Sweet. Love he crossover work. Enjoy!!!!!!!

charles

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #6 on: 27 Apr 2010, 05:31 pm »
Beautiful!  Rosewood is my favorite veneer. Unfortunately, the cost of it has doubled over the past few years :(
I'm sure you'll enjoy listening to your labor of love. :thumb:

Lundskov

« Reply #7 on: 27 Apr 2010, 08:30 pm »
What about the bass management.

hesster

« Reply #8 on: 27 Apr 2010, 10:38 pm »
If it's too little, I already have a Monster Dual 15" "Housewrecker" design Sub I built, but I can pull the tops off the X-Over and snip off (1) at a time to increase the Bass output.  And, I can always solder others back in - eventually I will find the best combo after burn in.

KCI-JohnP

« Reply #9 on: 28 Apr 2010, 06:11 pm »
WOW, beautiful work!!  :thumb:

Danny Richie

« Reply #10 on: 28 Apr 2010, 09:19 pm »
Looks like you bundled all of the resistors in the bass management system. That will reduce the bass output quiet a bit from 30hz to 100Hz and centered around 60 to 70Hz. If it is a little bass shy then start taking a couple of the resistors out of the circuit two at a time until it hits the range needed for your room. Then you and drop them in and out, one at a time, for finer adjustment.

hesster

« Reply #11 on: 28 Apr 2010, 11:24 pm »
The designer has spoken......

newportcycle

« Reply #12 on: 29 Apr 2010, 09:46 am »
Question - How do you power the LED's inside your crossover cabinets?

hesster

« Reply #13 on: 29 Apr 2010, 07:12 pm »
I got these from Superbrightleds.com.  They have a great selection of product.  The 12" strips in the X-Overs have a simple plug in jack at each corner (Radio Shack) and I have a 12V DC power supply with low ma draw to power both X2 at the same time.  I shielded the wiring Coax style.  These really light up the Flourescent Edge tops, and the edges glow a bright Neon Blue.  I had this idea after building my Woofer with 3/4" clear acrylic top, and installed the programmable million color LED strips in each chamber.  Music equipment should not only sound good, but look good too.......

playntheblues

• D-Sonic, Mola Mola TamBagui, Tekton DISE
« Reply #14 on: 29 Apr 2010, 07:46 pm »
Outstanding work!  :drool:

hesster

Finished (almost) - Over the Top LS9 Build
« Reply #15 on: 9 May 2010, 06:16 pm »
Finished and breaking them in.  Will add some sound treatment behind them, since they are somewhat close to the wall.  It took (3) strong men to bring them up from the basement.  Dear God do they sound good!  The LEDs in the crossovers add a nice touch.  The last pic is my "Housewrecker" Sub I built a few years back with dual "Titanic Mk III" 15" subs driven with a Europower 2500W amp.  Together with the LS's there is some serious freaking bass in the house.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Re: Finished - Over the Top LS9 Build
« Reply #16 on: 9 May 2010, 06:28 pm »
Nice work !!!  Happy listening !!! :beer:

Where in your room is your sub placed ?

HT cOz

« Reply #17 on: 9 May 2010, 06:33 pm »
Stunning Work  :thumb:

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #18 on: 10 May 2010, 02:59 am »
Some night, when you least expect it, I'm gonna sneak into your house and kidnap you and bring you back to Albuquerque and and force you to work out your eventual freedom by doing veneer work for the masses here on the GR Research site.  No one will ever know that it is you doing the work.  I'll take all of the credit and get stinking rich absconding with your well deserved fame. 

I'd just steal the speakers, but you're probably easier to carry.   :D

Truly a beautiful job!!!

Dave

hesster

« Reply #19 on: 10 May 2010, 10:28 pm »
Thanks for the kind words.  The Veneer turned out well - considering I never did it before.  Just took my time, read about it, and did a little practice.  The woofer is in the rear LH end of the room.