NuPrime MCX review

sresener

Re: NuPrime MCX review
« Reply #20 on: 13 Sep 2019, 01:35 am »
What are you using for a pre amp?
 I found when I used my avr's  as a pre-amp it was great for movies and only adequate for music.

doudou74

« Reply #21 on: 13 Sep 2019, 11:49 am »
as a preamplifier I use an Arcam avr390 with diraclive, music remains the priority in my installation. Thank

sresener

« Reply #22 on: 14 Sep 2019, 12:57 am »
One of the receivers I tried was a anthem mr1120 and it did not hold a candle to what my evolution dac does as a pre amp.

I have no experience  with arcam  avrs but every avr  I tried as a dac / preamp for critical two channel listening..... the avr was the weak link in my system.

But if you ever take the dedicated dac/preamp route make sure it has ht bypass (if you plan to integrate  it into your surround system)
« Last Edit: 14 Sep 2019, 03:25 am by sresener »

doudou74

« Reply #23 on: 14 Sep 2019, 04:54 am »

thank you, I had before the hd dac1 marantz with pm14s1, the couple was my taste less good, the avr arcam with a power block on it.

Jye

« Reply #24 on: 16 Sep 2019, 05:05 am »
Given your preference of the Arcam over the Marantz, and for the convenience of trigger inputs, go for the MCX-3. It should provide you with the heightened dynamics and a larger soundfield you're missing out with just the Arcam alone.

doudou74

« Reply #25 on: 16 Sep 2019, 05:50 am »
Hello,
thank you, the mcx3 has done more for the rear tracks, the one that has the same power supply as the mcx2 but divided on 3 channels so less watts on the front. 180 watts under 8ohms against 550 watts with the mcx2, the difference is it audible?

Jye

« Reply #26 on: 17 Sep 2019, 04:54 am »
At normal listening volumes, the difference will be minimal. But if you have the luxury of listening at loud volumes, the more powerful amplifier will tend to keep the dynamics and composure against the lesser powered sibling.

zomar

« Reply #27 on: 12 Oct 2019, 07:56 pm »
How well will a MCX-2 drive a pair of Magnepan MMGs ? The wattage seems more than adequate, but is current and damping sufficient ? Anyone's experience would be appreciated. Thanks

ace8726872

« Reply #28 on: 6 Jan 2021, 12:21 pm »
Hi everyone,

I wanted to introduce myself.  I just placed an order for MCX-2, MCX-3 and MCX-4 to upgrade my 5.1.4 home theater setup.  I was struggling between Emotiva and MCX, two very different “philosophy”. On the Emotiva side, I was considering XPA-DR3 + XPA-7.  I am very excited and will post my experience with these MCX amps.  I am fairly new to higher end audio/home theater and have a lot to learn so I might be asking a lot of stupid questions.

Alex

John Casler

« Reply #29 on: 10 Jan 2021, 02:51 am »
How well will a MCX-2 drive a pair of Magnepan MMGs ? The wattage seems more than adequate, but is current and damping sufficient ? Anyone's experience would be appreciated. Thanks

The answer is Very Well indeed.

The best NuPRIME amps for Maggies are:

1) AMG STA pair bridged to Mono
2) The ST-10M pair
3) The MCX-1 pair, or MCX-2

I have customers and clients who are very happy with these pairings.

John Casler

« Reply #30 on: 10 Jan 2021, 02:54 am »
Hi everyone,

I wanted to introduce myself.  I just placed an order for MCX-2, MCX-3 and MCX-4 to upgrade my 5.1.4 home theater setup.  I was struggling between Emotiva and MCX, two very different “philosophy”. On the Emotiva side, I was considering XPA-DR3 + XPA-7.  I am very excited and will post my experience with these MCX amps.  I am fairly new to higher end audio/home theater and have a lot to learn so I might be asking a lot of stupid questions.

Alex

Congratulations! and WELCOME

I assume you intend to do the following:

MCX-2 for L&R Mains
MCX-3 Center/and L&R Surrounds
MCX-4 Rear Surrounds and Atmos

Is that the plan?

ace8726872

« Reply #31 on: 12 Jan 2021, 01:50 am »
Almost.  MCX-4 will drive the 4 Atmos speakers.  It shipped on Sunday from Taiwan via FedEx and it just left Anchorage on their way here to be mated with Marantz AV7705 Pre Amp.  By this weekend, I should have time to set up and enjoy.

ace8726872

« Reply #32 on: 30 Jan 2021, 06:44 pm »
Here are some pictures of my setup.  I had about 3 weeks to enjoy and it’s been really great for both music and movies.

Dint

« Reply #33 on: 23 Apr 2021, 01:28 pm »
Here are some pictures of my setup.  I had about 3 weeks to enjoy and it’s been really great for both music and movies.

Nice setup. What marantz is that?

ace8726872

« Reply #34 on: 28 Nov 2021, 09:35 pm »
Finally got the approval from my wifey to upgrade the system!  I got the Bowers & Wilkins 702 S2 in Piano Black and it sounds & looks fantastic.

« Last Edit: 29 Nov 2021, 01:10 am by ace8726872 »