Lets see your O.B. speakers....!

matevana

Re: Lets see your O.B. speakers....!
« Reply #320 on: 26 Sep 2017, 05:40 pm »
Hey Poultry!

I'd be really curious to know how the ST might sound mounted on the rear baffle facing upward, instead of toward the front wall. I got to hear a set of old Wharfedale SFB/3's a few months ago, and was very impressed how they handled high frequencies in general.  Cymbals emanate up and out, similar to how an actual drum kit might sound in the room. 

Poultrygeist

« Reply #321 on: 26 Sep 2017, 09:27 pm »
The super tweeters sit on top of a little shelf attached to the back of the baffle just above the Eminence tweeters so it was no problem to try them facing upward. They sound fine firing upwards but I couldn't tell any difference from the short time I listened. I read somewhere that rear facing dipole tweeters should be connected out of phase but I haven't tried that yet.

matevana

« Reply #322 on: 27 Sep 2017, 07:34 pm »
Thanks Poultry. It makes some sense that a rear facing 'dipole tweeter' could be wired in reverse polarity. In this way the sound projected forward (actually emanating from the back of a dipole tweeter) would be in phase with the forward mounted drivers on the baffle. In your case, since the RS Super Tweeter is a closed back design, it may not be too significant. I would do what ever sounds best.

fsdaron

« Reply #323 on: 9 Feb 2018, 11:54 am »

Poultrygeist

« Reply #324 on: 9 Feb 2018, 12:19 pm »
Caintucks?

matevana

« Reply #325 on: 9 Feb 2018, 12:39 pm »
7 - 10 Split?

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #326 on: 9 Feb 2018, 01:49 pm »
Got The Megaliths open baffle line arrays setup with the new amps.  Time for some DSP crossover tweaking.

Mijknarf

« Reply #327 on: 11 Feb 2018, 09:26 pm »
Continuing to experiment with open baffles... I had these baffles on hand from a previous set I used (Scott Faller design) but I added a Tone Tubby Red Alnico driver (Jon Ver Halen design).  With my PM5A Lowther OB attempts, I've always heard some freq gap between 100-200Hz as my Lowther runs out of steam in the low 200Hz range and I have not found a bass driver that sounds good to me up to 200Hz.  The TTs use a simple coil for a 1st order low pass filter and the Lowthers run with no passive components.  The TTs make the Lowthers sound almost full range.  They're both a 16 Ohm impedance, so wired in parallel presents an easy 8 ohm load for the amp.  Guitar, piano, sax, cello all pop off the baffles.  Now a sub can fill in below 80Hz pretty easily.

fsdaron

« Reply #328 on: 12 Feb 2018, 11:54 am »
Yes PG

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #329 on: 12 Feb 2018, 07:32 pm »

Hi,
Do you think these TTs could perform well as midrange from 270Hz and up?

Mijknarf

« Reply #330 on: 13 Feb 2018, 12:41 am »
Not sure what you mean by "...and up"?  Their freq response graph looks clean up to 1-2KHz, beyond that they look a bit sloppy. 

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #331 on: 13 Feb 2018, 12:56 am »
Not sure what you mean by "...and up"?  Their freq response graph looks clean up to 1-2KHz, beyond that they look a bit sloppy.
It looks nice til 1500Hz
https://tonetubby.com/specifications-red-alnico-12%E2%80%B3-16-ohm/#

narkotic

« Reply #332 on: 18 Feb 2018, 06:41 pm »
Got The Megaliths open baffle line arrays setup with the new amps.  Time for some DSP crossover tweaking.

WOW. You're having way too much fun over there. Jealous.

goggle1824

« Reply #333 on: 12 Mar 2018, 02:56 am »
Agree, that looks like quite a set-up!  :o

goggle1824

« Reply #334 on: 12 Mar 2018, 12:08 pm »
Hey Poultry!

I'd be really curious to know how the ST might sound mounted on the rear baffle facing upward, instead of toward the front wall. I got to hear a set of old Wharfedale SFB/3's a few months ago, and was very impressed how they handled high frequencies in general.  Cymbals emanate up and out, similar to how an actual drum kit might sound in the room. 

matevana, I for one would certainly be interested in hearing more about your impressions of the SFB/3's! Especially relative to more modern OBs you e built/heard. 

Though this probably isn't the right thread for it.   :oops: 

Care to share?

Poultrygeist

« Reply #335 on: 12 Mar 2018, 01:29 pm »
It's been a year since first posting about the incredible Zenith 49CZ 802/852 and today I love them more than ever. I spend far more time with them than with the OB Lowthers. The sense of scale and grandeur of these 12" wide band drivers is down right addictive. Buttery smooth with such a sweet tone I can listen for hours. That's much more difficult with the hyper detailed but lit up DX3's.

I just noticed that "Mr. Glow-in-the-Dark" has updated his take on these keepers. His list of full range drivers that don't quite measure up to Zenith's level of performance is impressive.

http://glowinthedarkaudio.com/zenith-49cz852.html

matevana

« Reply #336 on: 13 Mar 2018, 11:13 am »
matevana, I for one would certainly be interested in hearing more about your impressions of the SFB/3's! Especially relative to more modern OBs you e built/heard. 

Care to share?

I actually got to hear them in less than ideal conditions (someone's attic) but was still very impressed. They just sounded right... I remember the owner played a Yo-Yo-Ma / Claude Bolling CD and both piano and cello sounded very big and lifelike. Because they weren't set up properly I can't comment on their sound stage, nor did the two instruments really tax the speakers upper most register, but I was very impressed with what I heard. I have respect for some of the early designs, that in many ways have not been rivaled today.   

SuperTzar

« Reply #337 on: 23 Mar 2018, 03:03 am »
Here's my new diy open baffle speakers, EV SP12C's that I re-coned and modified in my simple open baffle design.

So far, I'm really impressed with their sound. A little bright, but for a 12" driver, the high end extension is amazing. No need for a tweeter, maybe some baffle step compensation though. Bass is tight and accurate, but they don't go down really low.

For $150 and a few hours of work, I can't ask for better sounding speakers. I'm definitely hooked on open baffles!

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #338 on: 23 Mar 2018, 03:22 am »
Wow very nice match OB + Fullrange :thumb:
15'' go 60Hz
12'' go 90/100Hz
8'' go 120Hz

Wind Chaser

« Reply #339 on: 23 Mar 2018, 04:26 am »
I'm definitely hooked on open baffles!

They are very different in character from boxed speakers.  8)