Window Recommendations ??

Gvt1911

Window Recommendations ??
« on: 5 Aug 2011, 04:04 pm »
Building new home and contractor wants to go with Pella Proline windows. Been reading horror stories on basically ALL the name brands out there. Looked into Anderson, Eagle, Pella and Marvin. We are on a budget, but would like something made well... :scratch:
Seems every window manufacturer has some form of problems with sealing or peeling of the exterior finish/coating.
Totally confused .. :oops:

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
Re: Window Recommendations ??
« Reply #1 on: 5 Aug 2011, 05:19 pm »
I had a Pella Proline sliding patio door at one point.  Great door, but the parts prices at outrageous!

You doing double hung?  Casements?  I've been involved with a three-house project using Quaker Windows from Freeburg, MO.  Mostly metal-clad casements but I have been VERY impressed.

Gvt1911

« Reply #2 on: 5 Aug 2011, 06:15 pm »
I will be doing all double hung windows thruout home. Friend in construction biz gave me a great deal on a Pella sliding door (Designer Series) with all the bells and whistles. Still I found some people unhappy with the Pella sliding doors...
Still unsure of the windows... :scratch:

BobRex

« Reply #3 on: 5 Aug 2011, 06:29 pm »
I've built 3 houses in the last 26 years.  The windows on the first house (built in 1985) were Malta vinyl clad wood double-hung.  I drive by the house frequently and the windows appear to be still going strong.

On my second house (built in 1995) I used Kolbe and Kolbe aluminum clad wood double-hung.  Again, apart from a scratch or 2, the finish appears to be still going strong.

On my current house (built in 2005, and only a block away from the 2nd house) I used Pellas, a combination of Proline double-hung and Designer casements.  As you know these are aluminum clad wood. No problems with finish or anything else.  I will say that the cladding on the Pellas is thicker aluminum than the K&K windows, and that they are a better made window.

Contrast this with a friend's house built in 1987.  He used Anderson double-hung.  On these, only the jambs are clad, the sashes (as well as the door panels) are, according to the distributor at the time, Urethane coated.  Now that turns out to be code for "PAINT".  My friend's windows all have worn through "coatings" and need repair work.  Besides that problem, it turns out that Anderson also only "coated" the end grain of the sills.  He's got mold and rot developing on some of the windows.

Pella makes very good windows.  I've never seen an Anderson / Malta / K&K / Marvin / ... service vehicle on the road, but I have seen Pella trucks.  That means something to me, basically they have a higher level of service than the rest. 

BobRex

« Reply #4 on: 5 Aug 2011, 06:41 pm »
I will be doing all double hung windows thruout home. Friend in construction biz gave me a great deal on a Pella sliding door (Designer Series) with all the bells and whistles. Still I found some people unhappy with the Pella sliding doors...
Still unsure of the windows... :scratch:

The Designer door is a great door.  I have a Designer French slider. Haven't had a problem yet. It's one heavy mother of a door!   I have the roll screen, and that can be a problem.  Sometimes it sticks and visitors then have a problem with it.  I know how to operate it (don't push the screen to fast, let the springs do the work) and don't seem to have the problems that my wife and family members have. 

John151

« Reply #5 on: 25 Aug 2011, 10:42 pm »
My house was built in 2000 and has Marvin windows  - wood clad in vynil, double hung.  Builder and home inspector all raved out Marvin.  They are holding up OK, but we really don't care for them.  They are hard to get latched some times, some don't stay up, and all are drafty.  The grids in teh widows are also a pita and dont all stay put.

john1970

« Reply #6 on: 8 Nov 2011, 11:24 am »
About six years ago I installed Anderson 400 series Woodwright windows and Marvin casement windows.  No problems and no wood to paint.

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
« Reply #7 on: 8 Nov 2011, 11:40 am »
these are wonderful windows..used them on several projects..

these are very much like Pella without the paying for the name..

http://www.peachtreedoor.com/