Which LOTR?

Ferdi

Which LOTR?
« on: 1 Jan 2003, 09:12 pm »
Which version of the LOTR/FOTR DVD should I get? As far as I know, there are now 3 versions for sale:
- The original DVD release that has the Cinema cut of the Fellowship of the Ring.
- A Deluxe version that has a directors cut version of the movie that is about 30 mins longer. There are other goodies as well so that brings the total to 4 discs.
- A Deluxe/collectors set that is better in some ways but I can't figure out why.

I am mainly interested in the movie but wouldn't mind the extra length.

Has anyone bought any of these versions? What do you think of the version you have, compared to the alternatives?

Thanks,

Ferdi

Edit: small typo

bubba966

Which LOTR?
« Reply #1 on: 1 Jan 2003, 09:25 pm »
Ferdi, I've currently got the Theatrical & Director's cuts of both.

The theatrical cut is nice in that it's only on one disc, while the director's cut splits the movie to 2 discs.

I didn't care for the DTS mix on the director's cut. THe dialog was drowned out by everything else in the mix while the DD track didn't have that problem. The score was a bit better on the DTS track, as is usual with DTS tracks. But I found the dialog to be bad enough that it hindered the mix bad enough to outweigh any of the advantages it had over the DD track. So basically don't go for the director's cut just for the DTS track.

I did like the extra footage on the director's cut. But it does slow it down even more than it already was. I think multiple viewings would be easier accomplished on the theatrical cut.

There are also a few more extras on the director's cut.

Which to choose? If extras aren't really essential to you, I'd say go for the theatrical cut & at least rent/borrow the director's cut. Or pick up both and not worry about which is better.

And if I recall properly, the collectors set is the 4 disc set, plus a National Geographic disc, and a set of bookends. Not something I'd go for myself.

bob82274

Which LOTR?
« Reply #2 on: 1 Jan 2003, 09:56 pm »
Bubba is right on the ultra super deluxe edition.  Worthless especially if you plan on paying 3 times the price of the extended edition.  I have both the standard and extended editions and I have to say that I enjoy the extended more.  There were some good scenes that I wish were in the original cut.  Then again the movie is 3.5 hours long.  I did like the extras in the extended as you get a good idea on what it took to make this movie.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Which LOTR?
« Reply #3 on: 1 Jan 2003, 10:20 pm »
I think an injunction came down from above at the studio that each theatrical release must be under 3 hours.  That's why the theatrical release of LOTR and TTT feel rushed.  Too much stuff to get in to too short a time period.  To me, the extended edition represents the "real" version of the movie.

Ferdi

Which LOTR?
« Reply #4 on: 1 Jan 2003, 11:31 pm »
Hi guys, that helps. I have seen the theatrical cut from my local rental. That was Ok as far as it went and I can always rent that again. I'll go and order the version with the extended cut.

Now, which brand of subwoofer should I use with it?  :mrgreen:

Thanks!

fredgarvin

Tom Bombadil
« Reply #5 on: 2 Jan 2003, 01:29 am »
I remember hearing that some footage including Tom Bombadil had been shot and at one point was being considered for the extended release. Has anyone heard of this footage? Possible bootleg material.

PeteG

Which LOTR?
« Reply #6 on: 2 Jan 2003, 04:30 pm »
Quote from: Bubba966
The dialog was drowned out by everything else in the mix

I didn't have this problem at all with the DTS-ES track, the dialog
was fine on my system.

And the overall soundtrack w/new music by Howard Shore
was outstanding on the Extended Edition,one of the best of the year (my opinion).

Woodsea

Which LOTR?
« Reply #7 on: 2 Jan 2003, 06:08 pm »
I have the extended non-collectors edition...Fantastic.  Get this copy, it is worth getting up to change discs.  Heck it is a nice break, it is a long but awesome movie.  Tom Bombadil was never filmed...Jackson deemed him unnecessary to the story line.

greve

Which LOTR?
« Reply #8 on: 2 Jan 2003, 06:49 pm »
Quote from: Ferdi
Now, which brand of subwoofer should I use with it?  :mrgreen:

Ferdi, I'll start a new thread for you on this one... I have a simple advice...

nathanm

Which LOTR?
« Reply #9 on: 2 Jan 2003, 08:40 pm »
I've got the Collector's Set with the book ends and the whole nine yards.  Personally I think it's complete hogwash to jam this story into 3 hours and no more.  The Extended version IS the REAL movie as far as I'm concered.  I would've loved to see the 4 hour original edit! :o The Extended version is undoubtedly a better film overall.

In FOTR I could practically FEEL where they made the edits.  Leaving Rivendell was so choppy that I knew there must've been more stuff there, and there is!  

Why the studio feels you need to rush a 1000 page book, the most popular book around, into a 3 hour package is beyond me. Hell, if you wanna condense a long, sorta boring tome into a movie why not take a stab at filming The Silmarillion?  That would rock!  :thumb: LOTR is a scene-by-scene narrative and thus less suited to filmmaker meddling whereas The Silmarillion is more of a historical work, which leaves plenty of room for creating invented scenes.  Such as, oh I dunno...like feigned "let's-make-the-audience-think-the-character-is-dead-but-they're-really-not" scenes that nobody with half a brain would believe. :x