Ebert give Spiderman 2 four stars

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« on: 30 Jun 2004, 03:21 am »
I just read the review tonight- Ebert thinks it's brilliant.  I've been pretty eager to see this one, so I'm pleased that they (apparently) got it right.  I wonder how well it'll do at the box office?

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Re: Ebert give Spiderman 2 four stars
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jun 2004, 03:33 am »
Quote from: Rob Babcock
I just read the review tonight- Ebert thinks it's brilliant.  I've been pretty eager to see this one, so I'm pleased that they (apparently) got it right.  I wonder how well it'll do at the box office?

Here is the link to the review:

http://www.suntimes.com/output/ebert1/cst-ftr-spider29f.html

George

Woodsea

« Reply #2 on: 30 Jun 2004, 10:13 am »
Seeing this one tomorrow.  Could care less what Ebert had to say.  But it is good to see that he has some taste.

mcrespo71

« Reply #3 on: 30 Jun 2004, 01:23 pm »
I'm sure it will kick butt at the box office!!!  I've always liked the Spiderman comics, so this should be a treat.  I've been looking forward to this movie ALL summer.

Michael

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 30 Jun 2004, 09:01 pm »
Ebert is about the only movie critic I pay attention too.  It's not that I necessarily value his opinion more than the others, but rather I'm familiar enough with his work that I can sometimes infer from his opinion whether I'm going to like a flick.  Not that we'll agree, but I understand somewhat how he thinks.

Occasionally, however, I wonder if we even saw the same movie.  Some of the lowbrow movies he thought we great and really fun were just terrible IMOHO.  And he hates some of my fave "bad movies."

For instance, I'm just bewildered by his affection for Anaconda.  That's one of the worst movies  I've ever seen!  Likewise, he gave Von Helsing a very good review, but IMO that was a horrible stinker.

At any rate, I still think it's interesting when an action/adventure/CGI movie gets a "perfect" rating from a prominent "serious" film critic.

bob82274

« Reply #5 on: 30 Jun 2004, 10:27 pm »
Went to the midnight showing last night.  I wasn't a huge fan of the first one but I really liked this one.  A lot more humor.  There was one elevator scene that I was LMAO.  Sam Raimi also put in more of his style directing (see Evil Dead).  Also, and this isn't really important, I really liked how they did the opening credits.  Its not action packed or anything, its just a really cool intro.

JoshK

« Reply #6 on: 30 Jun 2004, 10:35 pm »
I use to see Ebert every Wednesday night in Chicago.  He taught a film class in the Gleacher Center of U of Chicago in downtown Chicago (michigan ave & river).  My masters program was located in the Gleacher center so I always saw him there.  He was quiet, shy and pretty darn huge.   He is far more outspoken on TV than what he appeared in person.

Anyway, am I the only one that doesn't give a damn about this movie?

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 30 Jun 2004, 10:46 pm »
JoshK, do you mean you saw it & didn't like or it you don't care to see if it's any good?

JoshK

« Reply #8 on: 1 Jul 2004, 12:09 am »
I don't care to see it, doesn't excite me.

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #9 on: 1 Jul 2004, 12:38 am »
Quote from: Rob Babcock
Ebert is about the only movie critic I pay attention too.  It's not that I necessarily value his opinion more than the others, but rather I'm familiar enough with his work that I can sometimes infer from his opinion whether I'm going to like a flick. ....

In the intro to one of his books about recommended films, he offers this humorous anecdote:
    a couple asked him what his opinion was of Ingmar Bergman's "3 Sisters" and he replied, " It's the finest film of this year (1972 I think)."
The wife responded, "Oh, that doesn't sound like something WE'D like to see."

bob82274

« Reply #10 on: 1 Jul 2004, 02:20 am »
Josh... I'll be the first to admit that I thought the Spider-man was pretty lack luster and I wasn't really looking foward to seeing this.  I only went because a large group of friends were going.  I halfway expected to fall asleep during the movie when I was walking in to the theatre.  But after watching it... I'd say that I would probably see it again in the theatre and thats rare.  Only a few movies a year can make that claim.  All I can say is give it a chance... I was far more impressed by it than the first one.

Woodsea

« Reply #11 on: 2 Jul 2004, 04:17 am »
This is the best movie I have seen all year.  Humor, sci-fi, love interest, revenge, and web-slinging.   I am going to see this one again.  My daughter will be coming with me this time.  Had a good day today.  Shot a 40 on a local executive course, Don Pablo's for lunch, Spidey2, then swimming with my 2 little ones.

mcrespo71

« Reply #12 on: 6 Jul 2004, 06:51 pm »
This movie was all a fanboy like me could have hoped for.  It fricking kicked ass and is easily the best film I've seen this year.

Michael

Horizons

• Restricted
« Reply #13 on: 6 Jul 2004, 07:58 pm »
It's BETTER than the first Spiderman movie - by far.

Best movie so far this year....

Ears

« Reply #14 on: 26 Jul 2004, 02:38 am »
I agree that it is better in every way to the first, but if anyone gets the
chance, go see it at your local Imax.
The picture quality will have you doing this  :o
The audio quality wil have you doing this  :mrgreen:

Even if you already have seen it, its so much better at Imax.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #15 on: 26 Jul 2004, 02:40 am »
I still haven't had a chance to see it at all yet. :oops: