BRYSTON BOT-1 (Bryston Optical Transport)

Marius

Re: BRYSTON BOT-1 (Bryston Optical Transport)
« Reply #400 on: 3 May 2016, 11:57 am »

http://192.168.0.101/rm/

this it? no play commands? only volume. if its this simple and effective, why not integrate in the MM interface, would be really wonderful.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #401 on: 3 May 2016, 03:14 pm »
thanks Chris,

Should the attached dvd/cd drive be seen in Mac finder?

it isn't right now
Marius

sorry, but no, I really hadn't thought about it

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #402 on: 3 May 2016, 03:14 pm »

this it? no play commands? only volume. if its this simple and effective, why not integrate in the MM interface, would be really wonderful.

Volume control in Manic Moose is still relatively new, it'll come eventually, but lots going on

Marius

« Reply #403 on: 3 May 2016, 03:53 pm »
sorry, but no, I really hadn't thought about it

No worries, finder does what it should then.

If you could make it happen somewhere along the other things 'going on' ...
Cheers Marius

Marius

« Reply #404 on: 3 May 2016, 03:54 pm »
Volume control in Manic Moose is still relatively new, it'll come eventually, but lots going on

:thumb:

Norton

« Reply #405 on: 4 May 2016, 06:59 am »
Chris

Are there any operating notes to go with (what I understand  to be) the memory play options from the prev and next buttons on front panel?

I have resumed using my BDP2 with an Plextor BD drive, the basic play and ripping options seem much improved now and I can also get  the memory play functions working too, but the latter only works for the first disc after startup, hangs on the second or subsequent attempts.  I'm also that mystified why the folders that memory play adds to the media player seem to persist even after rebooting BDP.

Thanks

Marius

« Reply #406 on: 4 May 2016, 07:52 am »

USB hub is powered on/off when the system is powered, hope that will suffice.

well, apparently it was not..... had a power button for itself, automatically going off when powered off. Since it has to be powered on manually, and i had it hidden buried deep into the back of my setup, that wasn't so comfortable.

Changed it for the Kensington K33980EU 7 port USB hub, and it seems to work even better. Drives are immediately (read quicker) recognized. The other hub displayed all drives fine, but i experienced some strange non-playing behavior. Could add tracks to the playlist, but not all were played.
This Kensington hub seems to do better, all drives are read and played immediately, playlists from across 4 drives and cd-player are played without issues for now :thumb: 
Could there be such a difference?

Only thing again: no cover art, which displayed fine yesterday:

Cheers,
Marius

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #407 on: 4 May 2016, 02:44 pm »

well, apparently it was not..... had a power button for itself, automatically going off when powered off. Since it has to be powered on manually, and i had it hidden buried deep into the back of my setup, that wasn't so comfortable.

Changed it for the Kensington K33980EU 7 port USB hub, and it seems to work even better. Drives are immediately (read quicker) recognized. The other hub displayed all drives fine, but i experienced some strange non-playing behavior. Could add tracks to the playlist, but not all were played.
This Kensington hub seems to do better, all drives are read and played immediately, playlists from across 4 drives and cd-player are played without issues for now :thumb: 
Could there be such a difference?

Only thing again: no cover art, which displayed fine yesterday:

Cheers,
Marius

Yah I don't see why not, perhaps the power supply wasn't up to the task or simply some kind of compatibility issue.

Marius

« Reply #408 on: 5 May 2016, 05:17 pm »
Hi Chris,

backed up my first cd..
it took about 45 minutes though, is there something to be done about this? XLD takes about 3-5 minutes.

I had it write to memory first, but then it ejected the cd after track 1, 35 %. is this because the bdp1 has little memory?
disabled it, and it went alright.

That is:
MM Backup is still displaying it is encoding... while i am playing the rip this very moment ;-)

Cheers,
Marius

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #409 on: 5 May 2016, 05:21 pm »
Hi Chris,

backed up my first cd..
it took about 45 minutes though, is there something to be done about this? XLD takes about 3-5 minutes.

I had it write to memory first, but then it ejected the cd after track 1, 35 %. is this because the bdp1 has little memory?

Cheers,
Marius

Hi Marius

Yes I think the new features Chris is developing for the BDP-2's has gone way beyond what the BDP-1 is really capable of.

james

Marius

« Reply #410 on: 5 May 2016, 05:40 pm »
HI James,

You're talking about the memory here?
Marius
Hi Marius

Yes I think the new features Chris is developing for the BDP-2's has gone way beyond what the BDP-1 is really capable of.

james

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #411 on: 5 May 2016, 05:40 pm »
Hi Chris,

backed up my first cd..

Cheers,
Marius

The memory option in cd backup isn't BDP-1 compatible as it doesn't have enough memory to operate.  This is in part due to how long it takes the BDP-1's (AMD Geode 500Mhz) processor to encode the data into flac or mp3.  A BDP-2 is generally only 1-2 tracks behind the ripping of the audio cd where as a BDP-1 takes significantly longer and falls much further behind.

Marius

« Reply #412 on: 5 May 2016, 05:54 pm »
The memory option in cd backup isn't BDP-1 compatible as it doesn't have enough memory to operate.  This is in part due to how long it takes the BDP-1's (AMD Geode 500Mhz) processor to encode the data into flac or mp3.  A BDP-2 is generally only 1-2 tracks behind the ripping of the audio cd where as a BDP-1 takes significantly longer and falls much further behind.

Thought as much, but liked to try anyhow. Building reasons to get me a new BDP.
Please keep adding features ;-)
Marius

Marius

« Reply #413 on: 10 May 2016, 09:50 am »
HI,

Since it is relatively quiet in this thread, i wondered if anyone actually backing up their cd's with the BOT1? Im having mixed success , especially in the classical departement (as feared though, it is notoriously under represented in the various db'ses)

MM result 1: While recognizing the cd, no tags are filled-out, nor is an imagefile found

MM result 2: Disc recognized, tags are filled out but incorrect, no image file found

iTunes result 1: disc recognized, tags filled out better, no image file

iTunes result 2:  disc recognized, tags filled out correct, no image file

XLD result 1: disc recognized, tags filled out correct, (correct!) Image file

XLD result 2:  disc recognized, tags filled out correct, (correct, again ) Image file

XLD seems to
get the Meta data better from the servers it searches, and also present the user with a bit more options, that make it easy to select the correct or at least best Tags.

Chris,
Could you comment on maybe settings i need to change, or could you change MM internal operations to find better data?
Cheers,
Marius

« Last Edit: 10 May 2016, 11:28 am by Marius »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #414 on: 10 May 2016, 11:10 am »
Hi Marius

Yes I have ripped about 500 CD's but most of mine are Pop, Folk and Jazz.

Plus I think the BDP1 has some issues with the BOT that the BDP-2 does not - Chris will know.

james

Marius

« Reply #415 on: 10 May 2016, 11:35 am »
thanks James,

I respect the BDP1 to be less capable than the BDP2. Also the 'regular' issues with classical libraries.

That's why i compared these 2 cd's on the 3 platforms. Difference between them is quite obvious.
Would expect the finding, collecting and using the correct tags to be a plain thing though, not dependent on heavier specs?
Hope Chris can shed his light. Must be possible to better the current MM results. XLD uses FreeDB, Amazon and MusicBrainz.

Marius

Hi Marius

Yes I have ripped about 500 CD's but most of mine are Pop, Folk and Jazz.

Plus I think the BDP1 has some issues with the BOT that the BDP-2 does not - Chris will know.

james

docder

« Reply #416 on: 10 May 2016, 07:01 pm »
I have a BDP-1 and BOT-1 which I rip from. I have have ripped many forms of music including recently classic and some Korean Traditional Music CDs from Korea. The tagging results are often crazily inaccurate with amusing results. I don't care that much as long as the music is identifiable enough, and the audio plays as it should. Sometimes, though, when I am playing a file from hard drive the identification is surprisingly off. For instance, last night I was playing Bitches Brew and the cover of Kind of Blue was showing!

I am thinking of moving to a BDP-2. Anyone out there want to convince me that the SQ of the BDP-2 is now superior to an early bDP-1?

docder

Tympani

« Reply #417 on: 10 May 2016, 11:06 pm »

I am thinking of moving to a BDP-2. Anyone out there want to convince me that the SQ of the BDP-2 is now superior to an early bDP-1?

docder

Although I never owned a BDP1, the SQ upgrade to the new Audio Board on my BDP 2 was very substantial so I must assume you will definitely appreciate your upgrade. The BOT works quite well with the BDP2. I've gotten over the quirks. Rips take 10 to 15 minutes on average. Occasionally 25-30, usually crappy disc. Rare "reject". It's still quirky on tagging but I can edit labels later if I feel like bothering. Sound quality is superb in flac and wav.

GASSMAN_67

« Reply #418 on: 11 May 2016, 12:43 am »
As mentioned in another thread, I gave up and was extremely frustrated ripping using the BOT-1 connected to the BDP-2...I hooked up the BOT to my PC, way faster rips, SQ sounds great.and cover art!

Marius

« Reply #419 on: 11 May 2016, 05:32 am »
As mentioned in another thread, I gave up and was extremely frustrated ripping using the BOT-1 connected to the BDP-2...I hooked up the BOT to my PC, way faster rips, SQ sounds great.and cover art!

Hi Gasman,
you say you hooked the BOT up to your PC: you mean you use it now as an ordinary external drive? Not through MM Backup but with a dedicated app on your PC? More like the regular drive already there? Or did you find a trick for MM to read your drive attached to the PC?

For that would be the real answer and solution to the current design. As a ripper the BOT won't work right now for me, too many mistakes, too slow (caused by my BDP1 surely, but Timpani also quotes very long times, too unpractical, having to walk over to the BDP all the time, instead of being near your library/office setup, and reading over the network).

With my current limited experience so far, i feel the BOT is coolest and most functional as a cd player (all controls work effortless), that can be remotely controlled through the MM software. The fact that it plays from memory should be an added plus, but i can't really vouch for that, because the BDP1 has too little memory, causing the Cd drive to read al the time. Which, as a negative side effect compared to the BCD1, makes a lot of noise. A bit like R2D2 is standing in the room ;0)

All in all, i havent decided yet. A cool addition, for which Bryston deserves many credits. But, with a lot of aspects to consider. Taking the price (certainly over here) into account, that won't be an easy decision, let alone moneymaker. 

Back to another rip!
Marius