Game Cube sales double over last month

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« on: 26 Mar 2003, 06:42 am »
I just read that after bundling a game with the cube, sales increased 101% from Jan to Feb.  It used to be (back in the day :wink: ) all videogame consoles were packed with a game or two.  As far as I know, Sony is the "innovative" bunch that started packing consoles without any software! :evil:

bubba966

« Reply #1 on: 26 Mar 2003, 08:12 am »
Selling consoles with 1 controller and no game is one of the most annoying things thats happened in console gaming in the last 10+ years.

I recall being able to buy the Neo-Geo w/out a game. That's the earliest I recall seeing a system sold with no game.

Checked my Jag box, no cart included, one controller.

Checked my 3DO box (Panny FZ-1 version), no game, one controller.

The Jag is from '92/'93, the 3DO from '93. But I recall the Neo-Geo with no game & one controller around 1991, maybe 1992.

At least I'm pretty sure that's about when it started. I sold my Neo-Geo around '92, and they were already selling them with no game and one controller then.

I wish I still had my Neo-Geo. But I sold it when new games were costing $250+ a piece! :o Yeah, they weren't cheap when I bought it ($125-$150+), but in less than a year after I bought it they'd climbed up to the $250+ mark...

LordCloud

« Reply #2 on: 29 Mar 2003, 03:47 am »
My Jag came with Cybermorph, I believe all Jaguars did. :D

Mathew_M

« Reply #3 on: 29 Mar 2003, 09:23 am »
I almost made an impulse purchase the other day for a gamecube/mario sunshine bundle.  I have an xbox but rarely play it.  Everyonce in awhile I wax about the ancient days of the NES.  $200 and I could relive my days of Zelda and Mario...Is it worth it?  Anybody else in my boat?

bubba966

« Reply #4 on: 29 Mar 2003, 06:53 pm »
Mario Sunshine is a good game. Haven't tried Zelda yet, so I can't comment.

Super Monkey Ball has kept a Wavebird in my hand more often than anything else though.

bubba966

« Reply #5 on: 29 Mar 2003, 07:55 pm »
Quote from: LordCloud
My Jag came with Cybermorph, I believe all Jaguars did. :D

The one I've got apparently didn't. It says on the box "Game Cartridge Not Included" after it lists what's in the package.

I didn't buy the Jag when it was available, I bought it 3 or 4 years ago off eBay.

So I would assume that the later production runs of Jag consoles didn't include a game so as to lower their production cost so they could lower the retail price in an attempt to increase their market saturation.